What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Easy Street (The Hard Way) by Ron Perlman. It sometimes uses a disconcertingly informal style, but it certainly has its moments. I’m at a point where he’s been writing about his friendships with Sammy Davis Jr and Frank Sinatra, which I’ve found pretty scintillating.

2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

A brief history of mankind by Yuval Noah Harari

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

My currents reads are

Paperback - I for Isobel by Amy Witting. It’s from the Australian Text Classic Collection.

Audio - Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris, narrated by Frank Muller.

Kindle - Another Governess/The Leasr Blacksmith by Joanna Ruocco. Quite a strange book so far.

4. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished War and Peace on November 28....took me 5 weeks, because of tiny print and being rather busy besides.

Since then:

Doctor Zhivago
    Darkness at Noon
    The Woman in White
    Sister Carrie
    Crime and Punishment

I finally finished The Shelters of Stone, after 17 years. Now I'm reading The Land of Painted Caves.

Next up will be Anna Karenin.

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Finished "Conan the Victorious" by Robert Jordan today. I'm also currently reading "Die Känguru-Apokryphen", the fourth short story collection by anarchist comedian Marc-Uwe Kling about his adventures with his room-mate, the communist kangaroo.

6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Star trek: cast no shadow

7. RunningValkyrie

RunningValkyrie Captain Captain

I just finished Johnny by D.J. Molles. It was ok.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle was amazing. Quite a fun read with a new take on a Groundhog Day story.

Just started A Column of Fire by Ken Follett (Kingsbridge #3).

9. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am listening to ‘Terra Nullius’ by Claire G Colman, narrated by Mark Coles Smith and Tamara Shelton. It is about the invasion of Australia and the people are described as The Settlers and The Natives. It is said to be speculative fiction so I have a feeling that The Invasion is not set in the past but in the present day/future.

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doing a rerun of Inquisitor by Ian Watson.

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Eric Idle’s Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - A Sortabiography is very entertaining, even if (or because) he’s a shamelessly promiscuous name-dropper. Finished it recently.

Currently reading Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett and Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I finished Abaddon's Gate last week and have been reading a few of the Expanse Novella's since then. I completed "Gods of Risk" this morning. Next up is "The Churn" and then I'll dive into "Cibola Burn" right after.

13. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I just finished The Viceroy of Ouidah by Bruce Chatwin. It inspired a Werner Herzog film with Klaus Klinski. Im currently reading Bird on Bird by Anne Lamott and Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

14. RunningValkyrie

RunningValkyrie Captain Captain

I’m reading Feed by Mira Grant. It’s ok but nowhere near as good as In the Drowning Deep.

I’ve also started reading A Vision of Fire by Gillian Anderson.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm most of the way through Leviathan Wakes. Its very good, so much better then The Expanse tv show that I couldn't get through more then a few episodes of. Its biggest advantage is keeping the focus (outside of the prologue) strictly on two characters: Holden and Miller. No annoying Earth/Mars politicians taking up screen time, all the solar system political stuff is just background noise for the events of the story. Definitely worth a read, and I'll probably read more books in the series.

Miss Chicken likes this.
  16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't really get into either. I read the first book, but I couldn't see myself reading the rest. I checked out the series to see if maybe seeing it in a visual medium would help but didn't get very far into it. I just chalk it up to not being for me as I didn't like the tone it was going for.

17. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

How many times have people already answered Trek BBS forum? :)

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  18. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Auel's The Land of Painted Caves was truly terrible. What a lousy way to end a decades-long series. :mad:

Past the half-way point in Tolstoy's Anna Karenin now. He had page after page of a long-winded examination of agriculture and then a drawn-out Apostolic wedding. :barf2: We'll see how the rest goes....

19. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huntress by Malinda Lo. This and it’s companion book, Ash, have been on my must-read list for years.

20. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I tried to read a horrible POS called Red Queen, but DNF. Honestly, I like a nice fantasy Mary Sue every now and then, but once the woman hate started, I noped out pretty quickly.

Currently, I'm reading the second Expanse novel. Pretty good.

KimMH likes this.
  21. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

"The Churn" novella from The Expanse series had some great background information on Amos. I am now about half way through "Cibola Burn"

KimMH likes this.