What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Started re-reading the first few Peter Decker - Rina Lazarus mysteries by Faye Kellerman. Originally read them in the '90s.

2. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked The Ritual Bath and a couple of the books after that, but somehow lost track of them after that.
    I'm reading Shot All to Hell by Nick Vulich.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked some more than others, but overall I think it's still one of the best mystery series out there.

4. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek novel of the Titan series. "Sight Unseen" by James Swallow. I would loosely describe it as Star Trek meets The Outer Limits.

(Other possible paths for Trek are Trek meets The Twilight Zone, and Trek meets the X-Files).

5. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Just finished The Chinese in America, a history of the Chinese-American experience from 1849 onwards. The author did an excellent job of combining Chinese history, the immigrant experience, and American history -- as well as Sino-American relations. I thought Whatever Happened to the Egyptians? might be next, but something lighter made be in order..

The Katatonic likes this.
  6. PersonalResponsibility

PersonalResponsibility Ensign Red Shirt

Started reading Norm MacDonald's book Based on a True Story. So far I'm really enjoying it.

I have also come to realize that reading in bed, before bed, is actually impossible. I can't get through more than 5 pages before I'm asleep.

7. Smellincoffee

Decided to re-read Happy City, a book on urbanism and human flourishing. Also on the side, a book called Ask a Science Teacher.

8. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. Yes, I'm still reading King. :D

9. The Katatonic

The Katatonic Lieutenant Red Shirt

Actually, I hadn't read any King in probably 20 years and I read 11 22 63 a while ago and quite liked it....

C. Cole-Chakotay likes this.
  10. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

11/22/63 is one of King's best works. I've read it a couple of times.

11. Wereghost

Wereghost Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I've recently started on Red Mars. It's only the second Kim Stanley Robinson novel I've started reading, the other being The Years Of Rice And Salt (which I abandoned years ago, though I'm not sure why; must start it again sometime).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  12. Trekfan12

Trekfan12 Captain Captain

I go back and forth between Star Trek and non ST stuff. Right now I'm reading the 3rd book in the Legacies trilogy. "Purgatories Key" by Dayton Ward.

13. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometimes it can be mood. I feel I sometimes have to put something away if I'm not feeling in the mood for it. For example, a few years ago, someone lent me The Terror by Dan Simmons. I had found it hard to get through and shelved it for a few months. Then I picked it back up and I didn't find it so hard to go through and enjoyed it quite a bit.

14. Smellincoffee

It's very different from a lot of King's material, given the heavy historical fiction aspect of it. Of all his works it's the one I've enjoyed the most. I can remember more about it than any other, too.

Starting the new year off with The Twilight War, a history of Iranian-American relations.

15. BaronNumNums

BaronNumNums Ensign Red Shirt

The Andromeda Strain over here, nearly finished. Then I'll watch the movie. Buildup's been great so far.

Not sure if I'd like King, pretty sure he's hit and miss given how prolific he is. Certainly got to check him out sometime regardless.

16. foxhot

foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock Must Die. Reading it for the second time. The first was probably 1976.
    It might be the first book I actually bought.

Trekfan12 likes this.
  17. Trekfan12

Trekfan12 Captain Captain

The Latter Fire by James Swallow

18. Smellincoffee

Mean Street, a memoir about driving taxis in 1970s-1990s Toronto. Lots of pimps, crackheads, prostitutes, and deadbeats from the sound of things. :p

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore. This is by the same guy who wrote The Imitation Game. I was very excited to be reading this. It's essentially the story about Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse and their battle to electrify America. It's a very engaging story.

My first time reading Graham Moore as I didn't read The Imitation Game, but he'll be one to follow up on for sure.

20. Smellincoffee

The Big Necessity, a book about improving sanitation across the globe.