What are some plain stupid things from Season One?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Shat Happens, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I can't fathom a year round school system... where's the break? A chance for kids to BE kids? When they grow up they will be working all year round, they should have something to look back on fondly.

johnnybear likes this.
  2. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

In our current system, there are 180 days of school a year. Even if a year round system was implemented (and NO, I am NOT saying it should be; I'm an educator for crying out loud), that would probably fill in six weeks of summer (which is about 10 weeks), seven at most. Allowing for the 4th and a couple other holidays, that's 212 days max, or more than 150 off.

3. Farscape One

And a vast majority of those 150 days off would be weekends, meaning Saturday and Sunday. That's basically a work week for kids.

And on the other side of that coin, now that you mention it... the teachers. They go through enough hell with the system already in place. I think they earned, and need, a summer break.

4. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Like I said, I'm not advocating such a change. Only suggesting that it might have been made by the 24th century Trek gives us, whether teachers liked it or not.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Beverly's head piece from Lonely Among Us

The Phasers that fire the slowest beams of light you will ever see. I mean what good is a phaser if you can become Neo from the Matrix but not have to work as hard?

That black blob on Tasha when she dies. I can understand if Armus just took some of his/it's skin and just threw it at Tasha's face, but that didn't happen.

Admiral Quinns helicopter kick in Conspiracy. That dude must be amazing in Yoga because I feel like I would break a groin if I did something like that.

Markonian likes this.
  6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s kind of stupid that the Enterprise is rushing to confront the Romulans in “Angel One” and not only does nothing come of it, but it’s sort of forgotten about by the time “The Neutral Zone” occurs.

Markonian and Oddish like this.
  7. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe it was a false alarm or the Romulans were just testing the defences of the Neutral Zone...again! :rommie:
    They never spoke about the asteroid bases surrounding the zone ever again after Balance of Terror, so they must have evacuated the human contingent and just installed computers and detectors instead. Commander Hansen's office in Balance might have been badly damaged but I always got the feeling it looked like a medieval cavern rather than a post. That or the same as the cavern-like rooms of Psi 2000 in The Naked Time!
    JB

8. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Deanna still came from an aristocratic family with tendrils in both the Betazoid and the Federation upper echelons (at least this seems likely); this probably would have meant exposure to and lessons in 'Federation Standard' from a very early age onwards for her. Also, Lwaxana was a diplomat herself so Deanna would also have been a diplomat's daughter.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Vitamins do wonders for the body. ;)

10. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

And remember Riker's superkicks, too. A nice change from the usual "double-fist punch to the stomach, volleyball bump to the face" fighting we saw a lot of.

11. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season one: Need to destroy the ship? Well, use the auto-destruct sequence. Need a bit more time because you can't evacuate everybody in time or you can't reach the exit yourself in time from the place where you have to initiate it? Too bad, you'll have to do it in 5 minutes or you'll go boom because that's the only time interval available (11001001). While even back in 1987 it wasn't too hard to instruct a computer to wait a specified amount of time before executing some other set of instructions .

Fortunately, Starfleet realized that this was plain stupid and had corrected this by season 2 (Where Silence Has Lease).

somebuddyX likes this.
  12. Farscape One

Funny you mention that, because Honest Trailers did a 30th anniversary trailer of TNG, and one of the things they called out was the endless 'palm punches'.

This was quite accurate.

tomalak301 and Morpheus 02 like this.
  13. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

At least palm punches are sometimes actually used... I think krav maga teaches them for hitting certain areas of the body, as do other styles.

14. Farscape One

They are. Some martial arts do indeed use them.

15. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

I haven't hit anyone but wouldn't palm punch be less damaging to the puncher (and one being punched?) than hitting with a fist?
    Maybe less painfull if nothing else to who ever feels like puching someone?

16. Farscape One

A palm punch is surprisingly effective. (At least, I remember them being so... I took karate with some aikido and jujitsu mixed in about 25 years ago.)

17. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Depends on where you're punching. A fist is better for forward blows at places like the solar plexus or temples, while a palm blow is better for upward blows under the nose or chin.

tomalak301 and trekshark like this.
  18. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

The Romulans in "Angel One" were originally Ferengi so I think someone just did "Find/Replace" and switched them. I wish the Ferengi were nastier originally so they could have been kept as a threat. Or maybe if they'd known the Romulans were a big part of "The Neutral Zone" they could have been some other TOS race like Tholians.

19. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Fixed that for you ;)

20. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Really stupid in S1:

The very end of “Lonely Among Us” when Tasha bursts in and tells the captain and first officer that a murder has likely been committed on the Enterprise, specifically that a Selay delegate is missing and the Anticans are hoping to eat it, and Picard decides to retire to his quarters to have some tea and catch up on his Shakespeare…and it’s all played for some good laughs.

Spectre Of The Fun likes this.