Welcome to vBulletin (please readme)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonyF

Official Tahmoh Taster
Rear Admiral
Hello and welcome,

It's been a long road, getting from there to here, but the Trek BBS is now officially in the 21st century and is on vBulletin. It's been a big job, and I wish to thank the mods, the testers who helped me recently, Anti_Drone for his design skills and Robert Maxwell for his programming expertise.

This has been a big job, and there's still some work to do. During this period of transition please take the time to read my points below so that you can begin enjoying Trek BBS as quickly as possible

Login with your display name
On the old ubb.threads it was possible to have a different login name to your display name. There are no separate login names anymore. Login with your display name (i.e. the one that people see when browsing the board).

Having a play
If you wish to play with the code, and how things work, please mess up the test forum. Go crazy, we don't care what damage you do in there. :)

For The Neutral Zone access
See this topic in QSF.

Read/unread post tracking
vBulletin tracks posts very differently to ubb.threads. Find out more in this topic in QSF.

Quoting posts
Quoting and replying to posts has changed, please check out this topic in QSF.

ARGH I have lots of private messages
The way vBulletin imports, it finds the messages you've sent in the past and places a copy into your inbox. A bit odd, I know, but I guess they wanted you to have a complete log of what you've sent. You can just delete them. Or if you want your ENTIRE messagebox wiped for a clean start, message me.
Premium memberships
Due to continued PayPal problems it's not possible to take on offer new premium memberships, but all existing premium members should have most of their benefits in place on the new system.

Your patience please
This is a highly complex migration, and vBulletin has a gazillion more settings than ubb.threads. There's still some work to do, and if you find something is not to your liking does not mean it's that way forever -- it could just be a setting that I missed. Please bear with us as we iron out the kinks with the new system. Things I definitely know about can be found in the known issues thread.

Most importantly, enjoy! This has been a long-time dream of mine to get Trek BBS on to a better system, and I'm glad it's finally here.

Antony

Last edited:
Amazing. You managed to move a forum this size with so few bugs.

I remember when SCN and RPG.net moved to new software/servers. YIKES!

Anyway, bloody amazing job. :beer:

You did a good job, Anthony. I like it all, except for one thing and I'm not sure if that's my crappy laptop or just the new layout. On the main screens, it looks like there's nothing for a good few inches, until you scroll down.

Is it me?

You did a good job, Anthony. I like it all, except for one thing and I'm not sure if that's my crappy laptop or just the new layout. On the main screens, it looks like there's nothing for a good few inches, until you scroll down.

Is it me?

I get the same thing when looking at stuff in my profile like PM's. One question, what the difference between a quick reply and normal reply ?

Yes, there are a few glitches here and there, and the occasional bug. But it's been a monumental task and the powers that might be have pulled it off very well indeed. Thanks to AntonyF and the rest of the team. :D

btw, why is this thread open in Announcements? ;)

We're allowed to post in the announcment forum now? Not sure if that is nice or not but it might save from linking to the QSF forum.

Good work Antony and crew. I'm sure in a month things will be as spiffy as ever.

We're allowed to post in the announcment forum now? Not sure if that is nice or not but it might save from linking to the QSF forum.
Antony's probably had a lot on his plate this weekend. I guess during the move someone forgot to lock all the Announcement threads. Even Christian's Premium Membership thread is unlocked.

Something has to be done about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back