Spoilers Wednesday (Addams) Netflix Show

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ar-Pharazon, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I'm surprised this one hasn't been threaded yet (though there was a thread related to an Addams Family project by Tim Burton from 2010)

You can definitely see the Tim Burton factor here.

Premieres November 23rd with all 8 episodes dropping at once (normal Netflix?)

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And it releases on a... Wednesday

StarCruiser, Anwar, Jax and 5 others like this.
  3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm really, really, really looking forward to this show!

I'm glad it finally has a release date! And of course it had to be released on a Wednesday. :D

StarCruiser and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really looking forward to this.
    Up until a few months ago, I thought Tim Burton directed the Raul Julia/Angelica Huston movies, so I find it a little ironic that we're now getting a Tim Burton Addams Family series.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Commander Troi and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  6. Ar-Pharazon

Yeah, I've seen those clips as well, for quite a while. I'd never even heard of that series until YT put the clips on my feed, yet it seems to have had 2 seasons.

7. Ar-Pharazon

New trailer. Uncle Fester makes an appearance.

8. Mr. Adventure

I guess seasonal tie-in isn’t everything but seems odd dropping this at Thanksgiving instead of in October.

Hartzilla2007 and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's one thing I've never been real clear on with the Addams Family. Are they meant to be some kind of supernatural beings, or just weird people?

Skipper and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  10. Ar-Pharazon

Other than Uncle Fester lighting the bulb in his mouth, maybe just weird. Not sure I remember what the movies did.

11. The Nth Doctor

Godsdamn, I was already excited about this show but ths trailer really cranked it up a few notches!

Plus, Christina Ricci! :D

12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Halloween seems a lot more fitting. :lol: I've never been huge into the Addams Family, but this does look pretty interesting.

Ar-Pharazon and Commander Troi like this.
  13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The original Charles Addams cartoons were just single-panel gags in The New Yorker, so they didn't go into detail. The characters didn't even have names until Addams was asked to come up with them for the TV series. There was something monstrous about them, but it wasn't specified exactly what. There were hints of the supernatural, like the two cartoons that were combined as the inspiration for Thing: a gag of a record player whose automatic record-changing arms were disembodied humanlike hands, and a sign on the fence outside the house saying "Beware of the Thing."

In adaptations, Grandmama (Morticia's mother) is explicitly a witch, and in the original sitcom, Morticia was implied to be one as well, occasionally showing unearthly powers like her "smoking" trick (where she asks "mind if I smoke?" and then smoke spontaneously emerges from her body). Uncle Fester's light-bulb trick in the screen versions suggests there's something artificial about him, except he's treated as a member of the biological family (Morticia's uncle in the sitcom, Gomez's brother in later versions). Gomez seems to be just a rich eccentric, except that Cousin Itt is a member of his family. The Thing is clearly supernatural -- arguably more so in the sitcom, where he emerges from boxes that evidently link to some extradimensional space, than in later versions where he's just a severed hand running around on his fingertips. Lurch is often implied to be a Frankenstein's Monster, though in the sitcom he had a mother.

Ar-Pharazon and Commander Troi like this.
  14. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Yeah, the supernatural/weird elements have always been left open to interpretation.

Skipper and shapeshifter like this.
  15. Ar-Pharazon

Of course, Thing is a great example of something supernatural or scientific at least.

Commander Troi likes this.
  16. Mr. Adventure

While a result of budget and/or FX limitations I like the idea of a larger creature that can only reach a limb into our world.

Commander Troi and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  17. Christopher

Yes, exactly. The original Thing was a creature of mystery. How far down does the arm go? What's at the other end? What's inside the boxes? How do they connect, and how are they bigger on the inside? It was surreal and enigmatic and open to interpretation. The severed-hand version takes a lot of the mystery out of it.

nightwind1 and Commander Troi like this.
  18. The Nth Doctor

Well...it takes that mystery out of it, but then creates a whole different kind of mystery. As someone who didn't grow up on the original New Yorker cartoons, I was endlessly fascinated by the mystery of the living severed hand and the hows and whys of its existence.

19. Christopher

Well, I'd say it leaves it rather than creating it. And it's a more prosaic sort of horror concept in a way, with plenty of precedent in Frankenstein's Monster and undead ghouls and such, and most directly the 1963 movie The Crawling Hand. The TV version of Thing and his dimensionally transcendental boxes were a... a bigger idea, more mindblowing if you think about it. It just goes to show that more elaborate special effects don't necessarily equal richer ideas.

As I mentioned, Thing wasn't in the original cartoons, but was created for the sitcom based on elements from two different single-panel gags.

20. The Nth Doctor

Oops, my mistake.

But my main point remains that both takes on Thing are intriguing mysteries on their own merits.