We Needed More Q In This Season

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Pubert, Apr 15, 2022.

1. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

He didn't live to be THAT old. Robert wasn't exactly ancient when he and his son become Post Toasties. His father wasn't around then.

2. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, you used an asinine blanket statement to insult all of the writers.

That’s not better than not naming one specifically.

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  3. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

I really wish they would get some of the writers that worked in the tng and Berman era. They understood the star trek world. They understood the look and sensibilities. I mean Star Trek the voyage home went to all all trouble saying how swearing was no longer in fashion on the 23rd century. Tng followed suit(except for data in generations) but largely speech had changed from swearing ever other sentence. Now it like all the characters talk just like us and even dress the same way. It doesn't feel like star trek at all.

4. Pubert

Yeah I'm done arguing the point. Picard season 2 was idiotic in my opinion and the writing stunk. If you thought it was great that's fine. You'll get another season to enjoy a 10 hour story that could have been done in one hour. I think they'll have plenty more filler.

5. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who's to say Berman era writers weren't at least consulted?

6. Richard S. Ta

You don’t really have a point, so that’s good.

antinoos and Jack Wolfe like this.
  7. Pubert

I doubt it. They were all working over at the Orville. Lmao. :lol:. Now that show is great. Single stand alone stories, multi parters and some arcs. A great show that really outclassed all the new trek shows.

8. Pubert

I do have a point but I can understand why you can't see that. Enjoy.

9. Pubert

Back to the main subject. Has anyone clocked how much time Delancie has actually got on STP?
    It seems like he got more time on single eps of tng. I might go back and time it myself.

10. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

You can wish that.
    I don't.

11. gweeps

So far it's close to 20 minutes.

episode 1 - 1 minute
    episode 2 - 7 minutes
    episode 3 - 3 seconds
    episode 4 - 1 minute
    episode 5 - 4 minutes
    episode 6 - 1 second (archival footage from ep. 5)
    episode 8 - 4 minutes

Qonundrum likes this.
  12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Just going to add, my biggest problem with Disco (apart from slow pacing at times) is the dialogue is NOT natural. There was more natural tone and conversation in the TNG era than the kind of sermonizing, low hushed monologues, dollar-store-psychology and so forth in Disco. Tilly and Stamets were about the only people that sounded like human beings conistently (Saru sounded like Saru, but that's ok, because he's Saru and therefore he's already pretty damned good).

Picard has not really had that problem. It has problems, but I don't think dialgue is part of it. If colorful metaphors bother you, I get that but i can't really say I agree except to say it's pretty clear the post-Dominion War galaxy is a harsher place. I never bought into the idea of no foul language in Trek anymore than I did the no-money thing. They just define it differently.

13. Pubert

Ah okay. That's about what I guessed. Lol. Thanks for laying it out gweeps. Wow so little time. Such a shame.

gweeps likes this.
  14. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

It's funny, when I'm watching Discovery I'm thinking "Please start talking like normal people, I beg of you!" while when I'm watching Picard I'm thinking "It's kind of strange that these time travellers from a distant utopian future sound exactly like everyone else in 2024".

I think even TNG and Voyager got a bit too formal and stuffy with their dialogue but now Trek's going to both extremes simultaneously.

JRob94, XCV330 and gweeps like this.
  15. Pubert

Well I think of this way star trek the Voyage home went out of their way to write a whole scene on "colorful metaphors". It was established there that language had changed somewhat and no one really sweared anymore. Which makes sense because language changes all the time through decades and centuries. Picard and STD just blew that out of canon.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  16. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

How about the writers just kinda STINK at writing for Picard??:lol:

thribs likes this.
  17. Richard S. Ta

It’s almost as if Q is the kind of character who sets wheels in motion, then has a tendency to slip into the background and observe…

No, it can’t be that. The writers must be idiots because a guy on the internet said so.

shapeshifter likes this.
  18. gweeps

Precisely. The TNG writers had a tough time writing for the character for obvious reasons.

As much as I don't like it, less is more with Q. Well, one Q anyway.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  19. Richard S. Ta

Any writer surely understands that having the equivalent of God in every scene kind of undercuts the drama.

See Q Who or Tapestry in which a great deal of time is spent in the episode without Q.

20. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Lmao. We are not talking about one 50 minute episode here. This is a 500 minute episode and so far in 450 minutes we have had 20 minutes of Q. And he does NOT have his powers.

Also Q is a huge grey area in Trek. He may have omnipotent powers but he is certainly not all knowing and has flaws.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Qonundrum likes this.