WB's Justice League 2017 movie pre-discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, WB really hijacked this movie from Snyder, didn't they?

I love that Elfman is scoring this. I wonder if Elfman will be scoring the entire film or just handling the reshoots? Will any of Tom Holkenberg's music make it to the final film? If not, will Elfman reprise Zimmer and Holkenberg's themes or create new themes entirely? I have so many questions.

3. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

He CAN'T use his Batman theme... he can't NOT use his Batman theme... if he uses his Batman theme, he'll have to use John Williams' Superman theme too... both themes would stick out like sore thumbs in a score that includes Zimmer/Holkenberg music... or are those two getting thrown out entirely... and what about Wonder Woman's theme (either of them)?? :crazy:

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh god, I hope he uses his Batman theme. I like Batfleck, even if I didn't like his portrayal in BvS. If he could show up to the old theme, that would probably make up, to me, for him ruthlessly murdering people with his batguns just because of the sheer craziness of the idea.

Regardless of whether the theme is used (I consider it unlikely, unfortunately), I've found Zimmer's scores to always be extremely boring, with the possible exception of the WW theme, so I'm definitely up to hearing a new take.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Zimmer was never going to be scoring this film anyway...unless I missed some news where he took back his vow to never do superhero movies again?

6. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Danny Elfman has to use something from his Batman soundtracks. He probably won't but I wish he did.

7. JacksonArcher

Well, it is official. Holkenberg got replaced.

[​IMG]

I think this confirms Whedon is doing a lot more than just some additional shooting.

8. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I cannot believe that Warner Bros. would allow Joss Whedon to hijack "JUSTICE LEAGUE" in that manner. Even Lucas had the good sense to stick with Spielberg's style when he finished "JURASSIC PARK".

And I'm so DAMN tired of people demanding that the rest of the DCEU films have an upbeat style to it. Not even all of the MCU films are upbeat. You know, like the Captain America films. What the hell are so many afraid about a comic book hero movie that deconstructs the genre? Or exposes the true nature of our society and humanity? Are people really that afraid of facing the truth about themselves through pop culture? I'm beginning to think so and I find it pathetic.

Whedon cannot redo all of Snyder's work anyway? That would cost a great deal of money . . . something that I doubt Warner Bros is prepared to do for such a big project. And if Whedon somehow undermines Snyder's work on this film, I will no longer be a fan of his. He's already in my doghouse for "AGE OF ULTRON".

9. JacksonArcher

Forbes reports Whedon is doing 7-8 weeks of reshoots. That's a long time for "additional filming". That is essentially 2 months, and the length of most feature-length film shoots. I think it is safe to say Whedon is redoing most of Snyder's work.

10. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Not every DCEU film needs to be upbeat just as not every DCEU film needs to be grim and depressing. The tone of each movie should be dictated by the character and the story, not the studio or director's style.

As for the additional filming, I'm sure it will be so they can include more Amazon scenes in Justice League, after the success of Wonder Woman.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

This is fascinating news. When I was a teen Elfman was one of my favorite composers. I am not sure if it's the quality of work lost my interest or just that the particular films he usually has done since have not always been to my current tastes.

His style can be very flexible so it's hard to predict exactly what he will do with this. Though he was clearly picked to replace someone else. So clearly it's to do a "Danny Elfman score" not copy someone else.

12. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed up-thread, but given the Forbes report, are we going to see co-director credits for Snyder and Whedon?

13. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe you should actually read the article you linked because it in fact calls bullshit on the conclusion you made... :rolleyes:

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

You're probably right, WB wouldn't "allow" it. It's more likely they encouraged it. ;)

The Nth Doctor and Turtletrekker like this.
  15. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

The article goes to great lengths to argue essentially the opposite of your conclusion.

16. Hunter Zolomon

Hunter Zolomon Lieutenant Red Shirt

i dont know about you guys but the justice leagie trailer looks like hot garbage, i hate the fact that everything is dark through that damn filter they decided to film in. Also i couldnt see what the flash was dpoing all his moves had no context and again the darkness, i have to repeat that. I like man of steel, i could still see despit the darker colours but after wonder woman and the gaurdians of the galaxy movies, i really appreciate colours in cgi, it makes the world more real and tangible.
    The constant greyness of snyders movies are no longer edgy, please oh please i would like to see what is happening. Its not cool anymore, i blame christopher nolan batman movies, once he started the trend, snyder took it to its natural conclusion which is complete darkness it seems.
    I hope at least if he is gonna have the picture be grey at least have the fights in daylight and not obscured by rain.

17. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

So, BvS and SS were meddled with by the suits at WB. And now JL is being meddled with by the suits after the Snyder's stepped away to deal with their family tradgedy. If this doesn't turn out the way we and execs at WB the hope, who are we going to blame this time?

18. Hunter Zolomon

Hunter Zolomon Lieutenant Red Shirt

zach snyder, he already did most of the movie, the reshoots are being handled by josh whedon. Snyder set the tone for this movie and the dceu universe and Patty jenkins just proved you can make a popular movie in the dceu. Zach snyder is not a nobody director, he has more creative control over his movies than the suicide squad director david ayer, who you can tell had next to no control over the final product of his film.

19. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

For me, Disney/Marvel is already in the doghouse for changing the plot of the third Captain America movie in order to allow RDJ to hijack half of it and turn that film into an exercise of schizophrenia.

As someone had pointed out, "JUSTICE LEAGUE" is more than halfway done. In fact, most of the movie has been completed. It would be stupid and unprofessional on Warner Bros' part to spend a lot more money in order to allow Whedon to make major changes on the film. So, I really don't see that happening.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, they're not being "meddled" with. Read the Forbes article linked above. It is normal for any movie to be revised and reworked as it's being made. That's how movies are made. They don't get done in a single step. Nobody creates a work or art or literature in a single draft. Creation is a process of trial and error -- you try something, you see what works and what doesn't, and you revise what doesn't work. When I write a book or a short story, I rewrite it multiple times before I decide it's ready. Every writer does. And every filmmaker revises their films, rethinks and reworks and strives to improve until it's finally ready. Revisions are how you make it as good as you can.

And yes, the studio heads have input into the decisions and the revisions, but that is always the case in every single film ever. It's not some scandalous breakdown or corruption of the process. They're the ones who authorized the movie, the ones paying for the movie, the ones the filmmakers are working for, so they have a say in the decision process about how it gets made and whether it's good enough yet to be released. Yes, sometimes their decisions turn out badly, but that's true of anything. Success is never guaranteed. But the exact same process of revisions, reshoots, etc. is done on every major film, the successes as well as the failures. Revision itself is not evidence of a problem.

Turtletrekker and Jedi_Master like this.