Watching Alias...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chrisisall, Aug 30, 2009.

1. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, it definitely sounds better then "she's totally gonna fuck shit up". ;)

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Actually, no. It means what it sounds like.
    They events she set in motion led to the destruction of Rambaldi's eternal-life generator, which was the primary goal of Rambaldi's life. In his eyes, what greater power is there than a means to escape death?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^But that's not rendering the greatest power unto utter desolation -- it's rendering utter desolation unto the greatest power. "Render A unto B" is not synonymous with "Render B unto A." Like I said, they got the grammar wrong. In this case, they got the word order backward.

4. Legolas

Legolas Commodore Commodore

Oh, man. Did I seriously effe up by buying all 5 seasons at once w/o ever seeing the show? Sounds like I made a big mistake.

5. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Well, I personally enjoyed all five season; some more then others. So yeah, I think you made a good decision by getting all five seasons.

6. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Not in the slightest, Alias is a quality show (though I wouldnt argue that season four is a bit meh). You should enjoy it.

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seconded. I think it's a fun show on the whole:)

8. Christopher

I think seasons 3 and 4 are weak, implausible, and often tiresome, but at least they have Melissa George and Mia Maestro, respectively, so they aren't all bad.

And am I the only one who liked Arvin Sloane better as a reformed and well-intentioned character than as a villain? I liked him and hated Jack Bristow, so I was hoping the series would end up with Sloane as the hero and Jack as the villain.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Arvin Sloane as a good guy wasn't bad but they played that storyline way too long. Jack Bristow was the man...one of my favorite TV characters.

10. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually like most of season 3, particularly once they revealed Melissa George's character to be evil and paired her up with Sark. The two of them made a great team and I thought the actors had pretty good chemistry. Some of the plot/story element in season 3 didn't pay off very well, though. Season 4 is a massive failure on many levels.

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

...I learnt that all international crime syndiates and intelligence organisations are fronted by night clubs.

Nice to see that Rambaldi's big red ball thingy had a guest appearance in the recent Star Trek movie.

12. Christopher

Honestly, I don't remember much about the specific storylines of the later seasons. It's not a show I'm dying to revisit. The main episode I want to see again is the series finale, and that's just because of the cold open where they let Michael Giacchino do over 9 minutes of continuous music elaborating on the Schifrinesque "spy action" leitmotif that he'd been using throughout the final couple of years of the show.

13. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Just finished the final season. WOW. I t W a s g o o d.
    Like, almost Dark Angel good.
    I may get the whole series now.:techman:

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Cool! I've recently rewatched Alias as well. I too don't get the bad rap that some people here give to the latter seasons. My only disappointment was Tom Grace's character. It went nowhere and once Vaughn returned, he simply was useless. Too bad.
    I really enjoyed the show's production values, and how they made you believe they were everywhere around the world, the constant use of foreign languages, etc.
    Alias has such strong female characters, and that's its major asset. A hot chick that kicks major asses.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Sydney Bristow is a bit of a Mary Sue character, 'though. She's special (in a way that seemed to be dropped as a plotline between two of the seasons), fluent in a gazillion languages, a Krav Maga expert, etc.

Olivia Dunham in Fringe has somewhat similar attributes, somewhat toned down, but only slightly.

Both the original and the new James T Kirk are male versions of Mary Sue, which may be why JJA was drawn to the franchise.

Thankfully, the Mary Sue-ness of these characters doesn't grate too much.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

she can't be a Mary Sue. she's the freaking heroine. a Mary Sue would be if i was to do a story where a British agent comes in and kicks ass and has Vaughn falling for her, but Syd loves her anyway and they go out shopping for shoulder holsters together.

17. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. She's not a Mary Sue.

The only thing that annoyed me was Sydney's character cried in like every episode of the show.

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Yep, that's a misconception of the term.

19. ancientone51

ancientone51 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Syd would kick a Mary Sue's butt if necessary...or maybe just if Syd was having a bad day. ;)

20. Christopher

Well, no; if there were an Alias fanfic in which a Mary Sue character appeared, then that character would, by definition, be better than Sydney at everything.