Was "Voyager" as dark as "DS9"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by RobNY, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commander Red Shirt

In a way, I find Course: Oblivion uplifting.

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope. TNG-Lite.

Had they really gone for the premise then it could've been (just look at the likes of NuBSG or SGU), but they weren't willing to take that risk.

dupersuper likes this.
  3. Ragitsu

That garbage got axed precisely because it was far from the (lighthearted) tone of Stargate SG-1.

4. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

In what way?

5. Dryson

Dryson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So could Q actually have been responsible for the time line changing during Q Who where the time line beyond Q Who is actually wrong?

6. Oddish

Oddish Rear Admiral Commodore

I am curious as well.

7. Bry_Sinclair

I find it far more real and grounded, as well as far less formulaic making it stand out compared to SG-1 and Atlantis and my favourite installment of the Stargate franchise.

8. Ragitsu

As I have pointed out elsewhere, brightness is often dimmed or fully darkened, but rarely do you see the opposite. I wouldn't have opposed the series so strenuously had it been marketed under a different name and/or ditched the titular Stargates.

9. dupersuper

Some people's definitions of realism and grounding baffles me.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  10. Ragitsu

Instead of relinquishing will to unimaginable despair, the duplicate crew continues to soldier forward in an unwavering attempt to make their existence known. How you - personally - feel about any potential greater meaning to our actions and the possibility of an afterlife is subjective, but I imagine most people wouldn't handle the knowledge that they were a copy (more uncharitably, a "fraud") with anywhere near the same level of dignity.

11. Bry_Sinclair

Discount the sci-fi setting and focus on how a disparate group of people, thrown together by circumstance, in a situation they aren't prepared for, don't have the resources for, facing stress and pressure on a daily basis with no let up in sight. normal people with no superhuman abilities pushed to their limits and see what happens. There is jostling for seniority, breakdowns in communication, cliques forming and standing off against one another, and just how the veil of civilisation we present falls away when our very survival is at stake and what we'll do to get by--Quark's speech on AR-558 sums up kinda what I'm getting at.

By "realism" and "grounded" I'm looking at the characters, how they react and cope, the human story. Granted for VOY it would be different, they're not from present day but Roddenberry's more evolved humans of the 24th century, though those are the same humans Quark was speaking about so the claims of evolution are clearly exaggerated, so some should have broken through stress and burnout, some should have shown how their decent into depression and the struggle of getting better, these elements were touched on in the odd episode, but the format of the show left no linger impacts for the characters, they were returned to default settings for the next episode. VOY could've done so much to really show how the hope and optimism of the Trek future burns brightest when in the darkest of circumstances. At least, that's how it always feels to me.

12. dupersuper

...and/or Quark is biased/unreliable...

Ragitsu likes this.
  13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. Optimism doesn't mean all is well just because it ends well. It means hope in the darkest of times.

Lynx and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  14. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I would put Discovery at the bottom of the list. Typical 21th century doom-and-gloom series.

I would put DS9 over Enterprise. I never found DS9 that dark even if there were some dark episodes here and there, especially during the Dominion War. But they always had some lighter stories mixed up among them to keep it from being too "dark"

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Mathieu likes this.
  15. Oddish

Oddish Rear Admiral Commodore

That is true... DS9 really did know how to lighten the mood a bit, and that was a good thing. Even if the occasional "Profit and Lace" did show up.

Mathieu likes this.