Spoilers Was it a mistake to kill Kirk in Star Trek Generations?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Overlord, Dec 28, 2020.

1. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with another member, I would be all in on Kurtzman to write and produce a story in PICARD or another CBSAA Trek series to bring a 90 year old Shatner back as Kirk to erase what "Generations" did wrong.

2. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

Of course it was a mistake to kill off Kirk. This is why I absolutely hate Generations.

3. STEPhon IT

Did Shatner really needed the money to sell out James T. Kirk in Star Trek Generations??? I kind of blame him as well for how the movie turned out. I mean if Shatner refused to do it, the party that were would have to write something else. For Shatner to read the script knowing what the producers were going to do that iconic character express to me he didn't give two sh*ts about the character of Captain Kirk. Maybe, even, tired of the character and the myth during that decade... for him it was a job, a cash grab and maybe felt... the franchise couldn't survive without the character and maybe would resurrect him???

I can't understand it. Nimoy had such an investment in the Spock character and would have some stipulations for him to be involved. I guess for Shatner, having him ride and play around with horses were his only stipulation he wanted in Generations.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Nimoy's main stipulation merely that he wanted more to do?

You sound a bit as though you feel that Shatner owes us something, and in the end, he doesn't. Also, perhaps he had input into making Kirk's death at least better than being shot in the back?

Mister Spock likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nimoy was having a tough time because he felt he was being typecasted as Spock. Hence the whole debacle with his book "I am not Spock" and the studio took that as a sign he wanted to move on. Part of him coming on for TWOK was the opportunity to do a death scene.

Coming back for the third one was him wanting to direct.

6. DonIago

I was referring specfically to GEN.

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Yes. Kirk's ending should never have been shown and just left a mystery with the Nexus.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Kirk should have died at Vader’s hand.
    Or Bruce Derns’

9. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock came back immediately after dying. Maybe Shatner thought it could easily happen here in Generations II or something.

10. STEPhon IT

I know Shatner was really trying to convince JJ Abrams to bring his character back in some way but never materialize. Another thing could be Abrams just wasn't interested in bringing Kirk back or have Shatner involved in his project.

11. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

in the blu ray extras JJ said they couldn't figure out how to do it without dedicating part of the plot about how he's back after Generations which the story clearly didn't lend itself to. There was the end hologram birthday cameo which would've been great and Shatner must surely been pitched but he obviously wasnt interested in just a cameo

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  12. STEPhon IT

Nimoy had some regret of killing off Spock, has Shatner had any sorts during the years?

13. 128bits

128bits Ensign Red Shirt

Take from this what you will, I'm not personally convinced as it's normal practice to pitch the more adventurous stuff alongside stuff the studio will most likely buy.

There's been stirrings from some people I know in television, who have spoken of writers pitching to the newer shows on the prospect of there being a crossover miniseries involving Discovery. Something like the big DC event that concluded Arrow last year.

A Trek mutliverse maybe? Some of the seeds have been planted of this in the latest season. But I do remain skeptical.

However, if there was a way to get Shatner back as Kirk, it would be easy to do in this manner without stepping on anybody's toes, magically undoing past decisions (even if they were mistakes) and being able to factor in Shatner's age. Eg, if he were to be playing an older Kirk from somewhere else in the mutliverse vs the Kirk last seen almost 30 years ago.

14. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

Well, he's 'written' nine books dedicated to continuing Captain Kirk's adventures after Generations.

Allyn Gibson, publiusr and Henoch like this.
  15. STEPhon IT

Was those books signs of regret? Or it was something for him to make a profit out of. In Nimoy's I AM SPOCK, he expressed deep hearted regret for killing Spock and I understood where he was coming from. I never read anything with similar feelings or perspective from William Shatner.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not following... :confused:

17. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Killing him heroically? Nah, I'm good with that. A blaze of glory seems his tempo.

Killing him the way they did? Yeah, pretty sucky. "I've fallen & I can't get up" is a pretty crappy way for the old guy to go out. After a fist fight with another old guy, who he was brought their to fight, because a third old guy couldn't beat the 2nd old guy in a fist fight. The whole thing was weak

Khan 2.0 and Henoch like this.
  18. DonIago

We don't really have any idea how old Soran is, nor how strong El-Aurians are on average compared to humans. He certainly seemed to hold his own against Picard and Kirk, but I'm not sure that's saying very much.

Perhaps if Kirk's shirt had been torn, unlocking his advanced abilities...

I have issues with the notion that every death of a heroic character in fiction must necessarily be heroic as well, because that's not how things work in reality, and Kirk did die making a difference even if it wasn't an especially glorious death, but I admittedly wouldn't have minded something a bit more fun to watch.

Nyotarules and Khan 2.0 like this.
  19. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

I remember back in when it came out a guy I was in school with said he was looking forward to seeing it, then after the holidays I asked if he saw it what he thought and he started lollng saying how funny the end was of 3 old men all fighting and chasing each other around the rocks

I get that maybe the writers were going for that 'end of random TOS ep Kirk in fistfight with the villain on a rocky desert planet finale' but it probably would've been better if theyd gone with an end space battle or something idk

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Dern also killed the Duke (John Wayne character).

Kirk died reaching for the remote’

urbandefault likes this.