Was Gary Mitchell a Force User?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by JonnyQuest037, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

I guess I won't be telling any more jokes to god. :whistle:

2. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Ha! As a fan of both universes - but always Star Trek first - I love this. Well done. :beer:

johnnybear and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  3. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Different time, different galaxy.

johnnybear likes this.
  4. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks!

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I say no, because Jedi cannot manifest objects like Mitchell does with the headstone and grave and earlier with the garden and the apples that Dehner eats. And, unlike Jedi, there's no evidence that Mitchel gained any precognitive powers. Clairvoyance, yes, but he couldn't see the future (thankfully for Kirk).

As for George Lucas getting Jedi ideas from this particular episode, I don't buy it. Telepathy, telekinesis, and clairvoyance were all staple sci-fi powers going back at least to pulp sci-fi magazines and dime novels from George's childhood. There's nothing really original in the list of Jedi powers, Lucas just managed to package the ideas in a way that hadn't quite been done before. (After all, the Jedi aren't quite the Bene Gesseritt). But the use of these powers in "WNMHGB" is hardly original either.

--Alex

JonnyQuest037 and Spock's Barber like this.