Warners to release entire 2021 slate to HBO Max

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StCoop, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Boomer American Premium Member

When's Dune premiere?

2. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

No moreso than people never going back to restaurants or bars. People will go back even though they've gotten used to eating and drinking in their own homes. ;)

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

October 1

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

True. Anyone running a business knows you adapt or die.

For nearly 40 years, studios & "electronics" companies (whether they ended up owning movie studios or not) have been hard selling the home entertainment experience, and after the dubious qualities of video tapes, laserdiscs, projection TVs, etc., we are now (technologically speaking) where they have always wanted the audience / perception of entertainment to be. That. and the fact that you hear neverending complaints about the poor movie-going experience (obnoxious audience members, unsanitary theatre and restroom conditions, overpriced tickets and concession stand items, too many commercials, assholes not shutting off cell phones, etc.), the population is at the right, evolutionary moment where studio films can find a willing home audience, who prefers to watch movies in peace and a state of cleanliness.

I am certain millions will watch the Wonder Woman sequel at home and not feel they are missing a single thing.

5. Serveaux

Serveaux Boomer American Premium Member

Ah. Still a wait.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. Most places I've lived it has been more of an economic thing as well. Poor people who can't afford to go to the theatre or buy DVDs (often at twice the price as North America), buy the pirated copies.

Saul likes this.
  7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a huge difference between cinemeas and restaurants. The advantage of a restaurant is that you don't have to cook your own food and a professional will make far tastier than you ever could. Going to a restaurant is easier. On the other hand, it's the exact same movie whether you watch it at home or in the theater. It's easier to stay home and watch a movie.

Most U.S. Consumers Still Uncomfortable Going to a Theater in Next Six Months, Survey Finds

Most people are not that into the theater experience and will be just as happy to watch the new movies at home.

maneth and Turtletrekker like this.
  8. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. But all they have to do post-COVID is go back to the old way or releasing stuff. People (including me) are happy to watch stuff at home, but when it's the only option for three months plenty will go back to cinemas for some movies.

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I agree - even before people in my circle didn't go as much to the movies as they used to given the comfort of streaming services, prices at the theater and the accompanying hassle of getting actually ready to go out. Spectacle movies like Star Wars do give that added bonus of seeing it on a big screen with a professional sound system bit everything below this may find it harder to find a screen in the coming years.

If the new model will include a shortening of release time on streaming services, i.e. the movie will be exclusive for theaters in the crucial first 4 weekends or so where they make most of their money usually and it then runs parallel on streaming services the film studios need to hustle to make their streaming platform available worldwide or they will hamper their own success.

I expect this to happen over the next year or two and then the real fight will be on between Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon and others.

10. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Very much looking forward to Dune from my rumpus room where I can enjoy a cigar and a scotch while appreciating it...(take THAT, theaters!)

Kelthaz likes this.
  11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The fact that HBO Max isn't available in the UK stinks but that's not going to stop me getting it. I do enjoy going to the cinema but I have ZERO intention of stepping foot in one for the foreseeable future.

We need a new Model for the Covid era.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would you go to a theater after personally getting a vaccine? I think for me it would be a combination of having the vaccine myself, and a major decrease in cases.

Jax likes this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think HBOMax is coming to Europe next year, so there is a chance you might have it by the time Dune comes out.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I would need months of low cases and to know the Vaccine is actually working.

I expect the UK to miss out and I wonder how much the Sky/HBO partnership plays into the fact we don't have this and never got HBO Go because of Sky Atlantic channel.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

For the foreseeable future, I would guess that going to public events or spaces will require having the vaccine. Just getting vaccinated does not protect you completely--it requires everyone else around you to be vaccinated as well.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  16. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think my rule will be having the vaccine myself, huge decrease in cases and continued safety measures like masks and limited capacity. Technically, I have n95 masks which make it relatively safe to go even now, but no need to take extra risks.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

Went and seen tenat and do miss the theatre and wish they'd release more so I can go now.
    Will see WW84 in the theatre and can't wait!

19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Dan Murrell spends over twenty minutes of his half-hour Charts show on the reactions from cinema chains, Legendary, and filmmakers, as well as his personal reaction, to the HBO Max announcement.

20. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral