W Va. Legislature to try to ban Barbie dolls

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SeerSGB, Mar 4, 2009.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Linkage

Seems to pretty stupid. I'll agree that there is to much pressure put on women to conform to a stereotype of what beauty is, but banning a toy isn't going to solve that issue. The toy is just a expression of a largely cultural dynamic of what defines beauty. Granted, this will probably go no where, but the message of what it implies is just as bad as the message they say the Barbia doll pushes. It's saying that there is something wrong with the way someone looks or wants to look.

What's next, banning health clubs and diets? Shouldn't the real issue be that the individual needs to be healthy and happy with themselves regardless of what pop-culture says they should look and act like?

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Should we ban all toys that encourage boys to be muscular as well ?

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Presumably that would extend to those ghastly Bratz things too then? It's not the doll per se anyway, it's the clothes and accessories that are the big pull. Now I think he's introducing this legislation so that girls don't become interested in buying clothes and shoes. It's a conspiracy.

4. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Things must be pretty good up there if they have time for this crap.

5. Searider Falcon

Searider Falcon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ya know, I never once looked at any of my Barbie dolls with any kind of expectation that I might look like one when I grew up. It never crossed my mind. At worst, I may have wished to have some of my dolls' clothes in my own size because I thought they were pretty. I was too busy dreaming up crazy soap opera-esque story lines to reenact with my dolls to wonder if that's what I was supposed to look like (actually, I distinctly remember sometimes feeling irritated that Barbie's legs were a little too long and not proportinate to an actual human).

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

We pretty ban GI-Joe, cause it encourages boys to go out and join the army. Better get read of Thomas The Tank Engine, might led kids into growing up and thinking talking sentient trains are real.

7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I agree.

And I will add - as a child I never considered my dolls to be people. They were dolls. I never thought of comparing my body to theirs.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

I thought male dolls taught boys to become eunuchs.

9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator