Voyager fans.. are you disappointed about Discovery?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Refuge, May 1, 2017.

1. catshadowsi8

catshadowsi8 Captain Captain

Spoiler Alert: re Discovery

We get to know prime Lorca from other characters and, though we don't meet him I person, Mirror Lorca plays the role of prime Lorca very well so he doesn't arouse suspicion.

As for Captain Georgiou she is different but not so much that Burnham leaves her behind in the Mirror Universe. Burnham sees hints of her captain in there, so we are suppose to see it as well.

Tjmo though.

2. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer static before changes which ruins things. And changes just for the sake of changing are never good.

If Discovery had been set shortly after VOY/NEM and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had been a new hostile species from the Andromeda Galaxy or some unexplored corner of the Gamma Quadrant or Delta Quadran, then I might have found it interesting. Now I just realized that they were going to screw up established Trek history again and then I totally lost interest.

But now I'm gonna be constructive as well.

You want new ideas? Here is one!

STAR TREK NEW EARTH

It takes place shortly after VOY/NEM and is aboutThe 37's planet from the Voyager episode "The 37's.

Here we will see how the inhabitants of this planet, inspired by the visit of Voyager are going to create a new Federation in the Delta Quadrant and bring peace and cooperation to their part of the Quadrant. Wouldn't that be interesting?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  3. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

Honestly no, that does not sound like the sci fi that i would enjoy. I prefer the space exploration, spacial anomalies and such

catshadowsi8 likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agree to disagree. I would rather they try and fail that not try anything at all.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If nothing ever changed, we'd have no peace with the Klingons and no B'Elanna Torres in Voyager. We'd have no terrorist factions within the Federation and thus no Maquis faction on Voyager.

These things were a big deal in TNG. And not everyone approved.

6. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a good point. The value of a character dying had very little impact on Discovery. All seemed just fun in the Mudd episode with the repeated death of a character. However by the time other characters were either not who they seemed to be or could be visited in other realities (reference a Stamet's/Culber spoiler), or there was a mirror version of them, the shock factor wore off.

You know Voyager has been criticised for resets but in its short run Discovery has exploited not showing consequence for most everything.

catshadowsi8 likes this.
  7. Lynx

But it would include a lot of space exploration in the Delta Quadrant and there would be some anomalies too. Typical good old Star Trek adventures!

8. Lynx

Those changes were good because what happened were events which were possible and believable.
    One of the reasons I really enjoyed TNG were because it took development a step further from what had been established in TOS which lead to the fantastic 24th century Star Trek Universe which I still love.
    But changes which are only about screwing up Star Trek history and mess up things, now that's what I call changes just for the sake of changing.

9. Sophie74656

Just doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

10. Lynx

Then what is your cup of tea?

By the way, it should be Delta Quadrant, not Gamma Quadrant in my post. Sorry for the mistake, it's corrected in the original post.

11. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like Landry, who was unexpectedly killed off(or more like, killed herself off), and had a bunch of people saying "See? It's like GoT. Characters can get the axe at any time." Then she returned, and was rekilled.

12. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been that product since 1993.

We're getting to a point where the dark emphasis is older than the Utopian concept. There was a time where the casual viewer could identify Star Trek. It's not Star Wars, but something brighter and enlightening, with the addition of Discovery it will be harder for a viewer to identify Star Trek. Remember what Michael Jackson and Joan Rivers looked like before the production values on their faces? The more one thinks they're touch ups, outsiders look at it thinking, "Geez, they've f^cked up their faces." "They've gone too far."

When will fans, who bend over backwards for these creatively bankrupt Trek shows, comes to grip this philosophy is not Star Trek?

Prax likes this.
  13. catshadowsi8

You have a very good point. There is conflict and then there is agonizing misery. I thought Roddenberry wanted a show to give hope of a better future. Discovery makes me want to skip the future all together.

14. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen it yet so I cannot comment on that. But I am concerned about it not leaving hope for the future. Which is why I watched Star Trek. I saw the character degradation all around me in my childhood and found relief watching 40 mins of better behavior and conflict resolution (most of the time if not reset ;) ) When is it going to be tiresome to watch things we can immedately relate to? It's been a nice ride but I need a little more optimism in my life.

STEPhon IT and catshadowsi8 like this.
  15. Sophie74656

Without giving too much away, it's certainly not the utopian future we typically see in Star Trek. This is a darker grittier show. There is a little bit of humor which is nice, and a character that is nerdy and awkward and I relate to her super hard ;) there were also to F-bombs which I didn't care for. I have nothi g against foul language, it just doesn't feel right in a show claiming to be in the Trek universe. For me I really enjoyed the show when i accepted the fact that it was clearly an alternate universe and just watched it that way. It's a very good sci fi show but not Star Trek.

16. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I should keep an eye out for that character and say, ooh! I see some Sophie ! :D
    If I am understing correctly, if I let go of what I expect it to be or should be, it can be enjoyable as a science fiction show, yes?

17. Sophie74656

Exactly! If in your mind you can take it out of the Trek universe you may enjoy it for just being a good sci fi show.

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I see a show that I think fits those criteria I'll argue against it. Discovery may be darker, but it certainly isn't as terrible as that.

19. catshadowsi8

Real life is not all sunshine and roses. If I want dark, I dont have to turn on the TV. Yes I do want some conflict/crisis on a tv show, but I also want to be entertained, not traumatized. That's just me though. Maybe people want Game of Thrones in space. I'm just not one of them.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    STEPhon IT likes this.
  20. Lynx

I totally agree!
    Which is a reason that I don't care about NuTrek. I'll stick with the good shows until someone comes along with a Trek show which I can find watchable.

STEPhon IT likes this.