• Total voters

Defcon

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
VOY: String Theory, Book Two: Fusion by Kirsten Beyer

cvr9781416509554_9781416509554_hr_zps9a40fcc9.jpg

Blurb:

As the Cosmos Unravels

The disruption in the space-time continuum caused by the creation of the "Blue Eye" singularity continues: Thread by thread, the fabric slowly frays and peels away, breaking down barriers between dimensions. As the lines between realities blur, the consequences cascade.

A Sleeping City Awakes

Voyager pursues Tuvok to a long-dormant space station, a place of astonishing grandeur and wonder. Ancient almost beyond imagining, the city seduces the crew with the promise that their greatest aspirations might be realized. Such promise requires sacrifice, however, and the price of fulfilling them will be high for Voyager.

A Mysterious Power Stirs

Unseen sentries, alarmed by Voyager's meddling in the Monoharan system, send emissaries to ascertain Janeway's intentions. Unbeknownst to the captain, she is being tested and must persuade her evaluators that their contention -- that Voyager poses a threat to the delicate web of cosmic ecology -- is baseless. And failure to vindicate her choices will bring certain retribution to her crew.

My review from 2005:

Especially compared with the great first part of the trilogy a huge disappointment.

Like in her short story “Isabo’s Shirt” Kirsten Beyer’s writing style is a pain to read here, too. That has mainly two reasons in my opinion : she gets to complicated at times and she’s implying to much emotions. Instead of just writing her story and let the reader decide what the characters are feeling, she tries to press through her points of view on how the figures are feeling. That’s not only annoying if you thing she’s totally wrong most of the time, like I do, but a unreasonable decision, because you most likely irritate readers and make them not buy future stories of you. A result of me disagreeing with her assumptions about the feelings of characters, is that most of the characterizations don’t work for me, too.

The quality of the story is tolerable, but is going down in the last third of the novel. Beyer makes one of the biggest mistake you can make in a Voyager story set during the shows run, she implies the possibility of Voyager coming back, but we all know they won’t make it back at that time in the series. Granted, that’s just a little subplot, obviously designed to set up book 3 of this “trilogy”, but it’s still annoying. A similar thing is Tuvok’s evolution, we all know he won’t become a new lifeform, so where is the point ? The Nacene described here read just like a slightly more uncontrolled version of the Q and their story isn’t really able to carry the book in my opinion.

Overall a big letdown for the String Theory trilogy after Cohesion, although I think the three books doesn’t deserve the name trilogy, because so far they appear to be just loosely connected stories, but not one big whole.

---------

It's ridiculous to see how much Kirsten Beyer has improved since those early days ...

Re: VOY: String Theory 2: Fusion by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoil

I haven't gotten around to read the trilogy yet, therefore I can't offer any opinion on its quality.

Anyway, the review is hilarious in hindisght. :rommie:

I've always found the trilogy's cover art to stand out among other ST novels. That has aged well. :bolian:

Re: VOY: String Theory 2: Fusion by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoil

I remember really enjoying this one when it came out. The only String Theory book I was disappointed by was the last one. I'm voting outstanding.

I'm currently reading this one and quite enjoying it.
That was the first book by Kirsten Beyer and I must say that the characterization is impressive: Voyager's crew actuallly feels alive.
So please Kirsten, don't let Voyager down, keep writing books about this crew!

I read these books for the first time about a year ago and I thought they were heavy. Had to read through them twice. I liked that they tied up some loose ends (why Kes returned like she did in Fury, why Janeway appeared to be bi-polar at times, what happened to the Ocampa etc). I agree with the OPs original review, she kept 'forcing' the feelings. I also agree that she has greatly improved. Her Voyager books are among the best of the tie-in universe as far as I"m concerned.

One thing that bugged me about the first novel was the author's insistence that B'Elanna had this need to feel 'protected' by Tom. Tom might have felt some instinctive feelings to want to protect her, but come on, the woman was half Klingon. If anything she should also have an instinctive need to protect HIM but then it was written by a guy. ;) It was a tiny thing...the rest of the book was fine.

Well The first book of the trilogy was a bit hard to read for me, mainly because I had trouble picturing some of the things described.
But reading the second actually makes me understand why the VOY relaunch was finally made by Kirsten Beyer. She somehow makes the story feel true.
Now I also agree that the whole trilogy is way too complex, and the most interesting part is the way it fills the gap between seasons 4 and 5.

I've read it a while ago. Trilogies are always thought because the story is drawn out like a bubblegum. But I liked the scenery (alternate universes, not the usual black space), and characters.
The trilogy explains the Captains Table as another higher dimensional playground. :bolian:

Just posted my review over on TrekLit.com.

Enjoyed this one for the most part. The story is very convoluted and at times confusing, but Kirsten Beyer's grasp on the voices of the characters and understanding of what makes them tick helped me to enjoy this one.

Back