Vote for Trek manga to be coloured in...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by The Laughing Vulcan, Aug 10, 2008.

1. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

2. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

New to me... cool! How annoying that an omnibus of books I own will have such a tempting additional feature...

3. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I don't know...I like the B/W art. To me this is almost like colorizing a B/W movie.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah... I'd assume that art which is intended to be black-and-white uses a different style and visual language than art that's intended to be colored in later, just as black-and-white cinematography has different principles underlying it than color cinematography.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, I thought manga was always black & white. I've never actually read any myself, but all of the manga I've looked at at stores was b&w.

6. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with the principle of a medium sticking to it’s own rules (the recent wave of movies closely emulating the style of comics often irritate me). But, it would still be interesting to see how it comes out, especially if the winning story is one that would make good use of colour. Much as there have been "normal" Trek comics I'd quite like to have seen published in black and white, as even if they are designed for colour, some look rather good without.

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least they aren't providing new story content; the Ultimate Edition of The Sunwell Trilogy's color section was actually a new prologue, which annoyed me at first.

On the other hand, once I saw the book in person, and saw that it was a ****ing awesome-looking book at roughly 7"x11", I bought it anyways. :p

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep.

The use of half-tone film (like clear Contact with a variety of dot patterns, or rub-down lettering versions) is a lost art. Presuming that it's done with computers these days.

An interesting example of b/w comic art that works just as well in colour: the early years of the LA Times' ST Sunday strips. They had to be capable of being reconfigured into several patterns, depending on needs/size of the regional papers' colour supplements, required title panels that could be dropped if necessary, and the entire Sunday strip had to be able to be summed up in one Monday panel for newspapers that didn't print a Sunday issue.

9. foravalon

foravalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Until good ol' Bill Watterson came along