Vorik the Ponfarr Vulcan

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Red_Panda, Jul 11, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know I would love to see Vorik mating with Garak.

2. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love both characters, but not together. I thought everyone was saving Bashir for Garak...

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone in the future according to Roddenberry is bisexual.

Vulcan betrothals are "economic" or "status" transactions by the family heads.

Planning the shape of their families "finances" and the destiny of it's bloodlines, it's more than possible that "gay" marriages would be arranged on purpose so that land or ships can change hands, without having to worry about second generation losses from unproductive or inadequate progeny, where the "families" decide that they only want their intermingling to last a single generation since (cloning, I know.) it's difficult for like sexes to conceive.

So there's every chance that you're a seven old Vulcan and it's betrothal time, but the person waiting to join with you mentally is exactly the same gender as you are because the political union is more important than the production of children with shared lineage and the consolidation of familial power.

4. Red_Panda

Red_Panda Ensign Newbie

Wow that's an in-between the lines idea I didn't catch. How would the Vulcan kids know if they are bisexual when they are 7? Doesn't that take...experimentation after puberty?

5. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Vulcans are bad about having "sheep" mentality and just doing what older Vulcans tell them to. Most have their lives planned out form them by the time they're 7 so their personalities, desires, etc. don't factor in. Spock, Vorik, and Taurik are likely rebels to some extent for joining Starfleet.

6. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I don't know about that. There seem to be a lot of Vulcans in Starfleet. Entirely Vulcan ships even. Perhaps they're rebels for choosing to serve among us smelly humans.

Some of us are saving Bashir for Picard. And Garak for Dukat.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Let's give Vorik to Chakotay so that the Chakotay/Seven romance never happens.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or it just takes a whole new dimension.

9. Melakon

Chakotay was never going to be happy after Seska. She ruined him for all other women.

10. Guy Gardener

In a preamble of the adaptation of the motion picture written by Roddenberry, a journalist is interviewing Kirk about his life on Enteprise during his historic 5 year mission and is under the mistaken belief that Kirk and Spock were lovers. Kirk says something like "He's a nice guy but I'm smart enough to chose a lover that wants to do it more than once every seven years." then there's a foot note at the bottom of the page that describes the sexual liberation in the 22nd century were every human being EXCEPT KIRK is bisexual.

It's all right at the beginning of the book.

11. TpelKestra

TpelKestra Ensign Newbie

Guy...you are an idiot. If you are going to throw out shit like that, best back it up with links to canon certified sites.

Sexual orientation is a choice and I do not believe for a second that Gene intended other wise.

12. Guy Gardener

You must own the book.

If you don't own the book then you aren't really trying.

If you can't read, there's a thing called "school" that might be able to help you.

At "school" they'll explain what "books" are.

The book was published in 1979. For 1979 that is progressive and good. Creator and executive producer of the series made a stand on gay rights when he didn't have to and no one else was interested. Good lord, homosexuality was only declassified as a mental illness they would lock you up in a padded room for in 1973, and here's a movie/book made just a couple years later postulating that there's a future where everyone is allowed to be as gay as they want to be without men with nets hunting them.

(I just had a classic Planet of the Apes flashback.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where is Therin, he likes talking about TMP and he's memorized the novel. I first heard about this from him.

14. Guy Gardener

Vulcan children would not know that they are bisexual. The point was in the future that sexual orientation does not exist. They're not instructed to be disgusted with same gendered sex like mostly we have been up to now. Sure personal preference is likely to lean towards one gender than the other because a dead on 50/50 split is mathematically unlikely, but even today no one is %100 percept gay or straight because even for the most hard-liners there's always a celebrity exception, booze/drugs or sometimes you just get lost in the middle of an orgy, these things happen.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guy is like the Sultan of Sarcasm. Take him seriously at your own peril. Yet do not dismiss his cunning and intelligence. He's awfully perceptive at times. ;)

16. Melakon

It's like Sulu once said... "You try to cross brains with Spock, he'll cut you to pieces every time."

17. Guy Gardener

From the novel...
    The ebook I am using, is new, duh, but the "all the (dang fangled whipper snapper) kids are super sexually experimental" rant is missing... Am I looking in the wrong part of the book, or is this censorship?

(I sold most of my hard copies at a convention years ago to make room and buy beer.)

18. Lt. Aran

Lt. Aran Ensign Newbie

On my boat; Cardassia,the Queen of the Ocean
    Vorik seems like a nice guy to me. I always thought it was strange that Vorik had to deal with so much pain and humiliation during his pon farr, but Tuvok managed to find an easy solution for his. Perhaps they could have solved Vorik's problem by creating a holographic replica of Torres.

19. Guy Gardener

Holograms "should not" work because they are telepathically void.

(Yes, Tuvok I know, that's why I used commas.)

Riker was annoyed by the three foot version of himself in Holopursuits, which is when they claimed that there are not legal pitches against using someone's likeness "immorally".

Leah Brahms was also annoyed that the man she would one day marry was obviously shtupping a hologram of her for years before he had a chance to take a run at her, and on Earth she would have been in a better position to start the legal ball rolling on squashing this fetish but... How do you police such a thing if you can get the laws on the books? Can a Hologram of a real person be used for "moral" reasons, and where do you draw the line between moral and immoral, and what if accurate historical recreations are depicting immoral acts, suddenly education is legally untenable.

Is it possible that the lawyer subspecies of man never completely recovered from their own 21st century holocaust?

20. Melakon

Would have been funny if Holo-Leah was better in the sack than Real-Leah.