Vonda N. McIntyre is very ill :(

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To be clear, she is gravely ill, but she is still alive.

2. Yassa Justice

Yassa Justice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am terribly sorry, i am dead tired.

3. Greg Cox

No problem. Just wanted to nip any confusion in the bud.

4. marlboro

marlboro Guest

R.I.P.

5. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Awful news. Aside from her Trek work, all of which I've enjoyed immensely, The Exile Waiting is a great read.

Best wishes to her and those around her.

Kilana2 likes this.
  6. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Two things: one, it isn't funny to mock someone who's apologising for making a mistake, and two, this thread is definitely not the place for any attempt at humour.

No infraction points or anything, just be more aware in future please.

7. Greg Cox

I'm sad to report that Vonda McIntyre passed away this evening.

Vonda was one of my teachers at Clarion West back in '84. I can't claim to have known her well, but I'll always be grateful for the opportunity to learn from her.

All my sympathy to her family and friends.

Freman, Csalem, BeatleJWOL and 6 others like this.
  8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

9. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sad news. RIP. She was one of the pioneers of the ST novelverse. When I first really got into Trek in the early 80s, The Entropy Effect was one of the first novels I ever read. I remember putting it in one of those cover protectors, too.

Smiley and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

So sorry to hear that. My condolences to her family and friends.

11. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Sad news indeed, back in the late 90's I read some of her work, the local library had quite a lot of her work.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My condolences to her family and friends. I have many good memories reading her books.

13. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

A great shame. I've always had a lot of love for Vonda's The Entropy Effect - it was not just the first original Star Trek novel I read, but the first non-novelization tie-in I ever read, and her work was a great inspiration to me as a writer.

Smiley likes this.
  14. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very sorry to hear. An early 'pioneer' in Star Trek tie-in fiction. Her novelization of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home was the very first Star Trek novel I ever read, in my early days of being a Trekkie (I pointed out in the past Battlestations! by Carey was my first 'original' novel, but TVH was my first novel).

15. Koric

Koric Commander Red Shirt

Rest in peace... :)

For me too, one of the first Star Trek books I had was the novelization for the Search for Spock in the summer of 1984. Honestly, it probably would have been her novelization of the Wrath of Khan earlier too. But Khan had scared the daylights out of me as a kid when I played the read a long book and record of the Wrath of Khan in 1982. It must have been the CETI EELS... :) I recently read all of Vonda's novelizations last year in the ST II, III, AND IV OMNIBUS and bought them individually as well. Her writing style was incredible and the tension and fear of Khan's invasion of Regula station was akin to me a fierceness like Darth Vader or Negan just cold calculating and merciless with many dimensions. I felt afraid and fear of Khan all throughout the book. Her writing style elevated the movie novels to even greater heights.

To Mr. Cox as well, if Vonda personified Khan in a new way in her ST II, you sir took and amplified her work on Khan even more superbly and complemented it in your own way in the Khan novel to Live in hell. I read her ST II novel and your Khan book To live in hell back to back and it was an incredible experience. Thank you Mr. Cox too for adding to her personification and also showing readers a new and different side to Khan as well, 20 years later. My thanks to you as well. I miss her style as a novelist and her contributions to Trek and movie novelizations were unique and to be cherished, and will live forever. Her novelizations made great movies even greater with her uniqueness and style. Its sad that movie novels seem to be ending and dying.

Its my hope that Vonda's contributions to novelization hellp to bring back movie novelizations again. May she live forever in her works. She will be missed.

Rest in peace in ETERNAL LIGHT. My condolenses to you Mr. Cox and others as well.
    I'm sorry for the long post.
    -Koric

Smiley, BeatleJWOL and Greg Cox like this.
  16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

17. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RIP:(
    I think TWOK was probably my first Trek novel and I've enjoyed all the others of hers that I had read.

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RIP The Wrath of Khan was the first Star Trek novel I ever read.I enjoyed reading all of her Star trek books and her other scifi and fantasy novels too.:weep::(

19. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RIP, Vonda. Thanks for all the books plus Leia's hair-dye bugs.

20. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Very sorry to hear about this. My love and condolences to her family and friends