Visitor: Deep Space Nine Has Staying Power

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by TrekToday, Oct 17, 2012.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As the twentieth anniversary of the debut of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine approaches, Nana Visitor shares her memories of the show, beginning with her unusual approach to her audition for the role of Kira Nerys. From the beginning, Kira Nerys was meant to be a strong woman. “What was described to me was that [...]

More...

2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I'd like to know if Paramount ever thought about a DS9 movie. As Visitor herself says, she doesn't know why Paramount decided not to.

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I think DS9 could have had an awesome movie. But of course, the suits say it was a popularity issue.

4. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

They still could have a great movie. TOS didn't start making movies for about this length of time after the show ended. I would love to see more DS9.

5. Admiral_Sisko

Admiral_Sisko Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It could be done, but any film featuring Deep Space 9's cast would have to find a credible means of bringing Captain Sisko back from the Celestial Temple, and Odo back from the Gamma Quadrant. Anyone who has read the relaunch series knows that Sisko returns in Unity,
    and that Odo returns in Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn,
    but it cannot be assumed that everyone seeing the film would have this information, so their returns would have to be shown on screen, and they would have to be done well.

I won't comment on a possible return for Worf, as the way he was always forced into The Next Generation films because something of a joke, especially his presence in Nemesis, which made no sense without the dialogue removed by Stupid Baird.

TPTB seemed to think that DS9 had wrapped up most of its character arcs with the series finale, hence Sisko's ascension to the Celestial Temple, Odo's return to the Great Link, Worf's leaving with Martok, etc. I can't help getting the feeling that a Deep Space 9 movie would mirror the awkwardness of The Motion Picture, as the characters didn't seem like themselves until the final twenty minutes of the film.

6. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I would love to see a DS9 mini-series or movie:bolian: With the JJ movies, I think it is a long shot though. I hope we at least get the Bluray upgrade for this show:)

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    They should have done a DS9 or VOY movie instead of Insurrection or Nemesis. I can just about FC a pass.

8. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20th anniversary thanks for making me feel old.I don't know why DS9 does not get any attention for movies or mini series there are so many more stories to tell.I am just about sick of TNG or relauch era of Kirk and Spock (JJ Abrams movie)there's only one so far but .....:scream:Time for star trek with a different crew for non trekkies.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They could have done what Marvel did with the Avengers. Each crew gets their own set of films, and perhaps a crossover where they all come together.

10. Bamarren

Bamarren Lieutenant Red Shirt

FC I thought was great, but I completely agree with you on DS9 and VOY getting movies instead of the other two.

Both I genuinely thought deserved movies, or they even could have played out the end of Season 7 into one big shebang of a film to top it all off - problem is anyone whos not been following it would be lost.

I actually always thought DS9 had a plethora of possible epic material to hand them a film, even more than one, but where you would fit it in Im not so sure. The difference with TNG finishing in Season 7 was it sort of ended on a really good episode, but not a "thats the end of all these story archs" sort of way, concluding nearly everything there was because there was the films coming up. DS9 on the other hand finished everything off and rounded everything off in a perfect sort of way, would a film really suit after such a conclusive ending to a series?

11. cml898

cml898 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Did anyone else notice the picture of Nana featured with the article is from interviews filmed about a decade ago for the original DVD release?

12. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    there was no chance for a movie. Insurrection had just had a sub-par box office performance, and that was TNG, where the ratings were much higher than DS9.

As to DS9 not being as popular as VOY- by what measure? Their ratings were pretty close, and if you average in DS9's early ratings they were probably better overall.

VOY had the advantage of being a network show, but I don't think it was more popular than DS9.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9 fell through the TNG-VOY crack, which is a shame as it is my favourite Trek. It had grit and grime, with long story arcs and great character development throughout.

It would be interesting to revisit it now for a TV movie, fifteen years after the Dominion War with Commodore Kira Nerys commanding a fleet and Commander Nog in charge of the station :)

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You could argue that DS9 being the middle child between TNG and VOY (DS9 was never on the air all by itself) allowed the show to be as great as it was, since the suits at the top were too concerned with milking TNG and making VOY as bland and repetitive as possible to bother themselves with DS9.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

DS9 being set on a space station might have turned some people off. It's a shame.

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm kinda glad it did, seeing how poor VOY became with all the effort and focus on it. DS9 needed to be left to its own devices to flourish.

The setting really made the series, as they were in the thick of things and stayed there, facing the consequences of their acts and shaping the future of the quadrant. Rather than warp into a system cause havoc and warp off, never to return. Besides, the station sets were stunning.

17. Bamarren

Bamarren Lieutenant Red Shirt

I know people who have said that before as their main reason for not watching it, "They dont go off to explore new worlds." But I find that was the whole point, and what really made DS9, was that everything came to them - or in some cases, kicked them right off the thing.

I found it more interesting than to just say "Now we're in this star system this week..." at the start of an episode.

18. John Mason

John Mason Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Here Here

Quark! The galactic Delboy..... :techman:

19. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I was always baffled at why Voyager was considered more popular and mainstream than DS9 was.

I understand why now, in hindsight.

Still, did the exploring new worlds format work for Enterprise and Voyager? (Voyager had nothing but new strange worlds to explore).

These two shows and the last few movies are often used as an example of Trek's recent decline. (Sometimes DS9 is included though).

I have to admit that DS9 had some flops with the new worlds department, like "Meridian".

But they also had some interesting ones, like the refugees that came through the wormhole, and no one could understand each other, until the Universal Communicator kicked in.

The dialog and style was different, more intense at times, that makes it less dated than TNG, IMO.

20. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

The reason there was no DS9 movies is that simply DS9, and Voyager too, didn't get the same ratings that TNG did. It's a numbers game.

There's a myth in the fandom that Voyager was more popular than DS9 but the truth is DS9 had better numbers its entire run than Voyager. The issue was DS9 was the 'forgotten Trek' as far as Paramount was concerned. Voyager was given a higher production budget than DS9 and because it was a network show it got far more money for promotion than DS9 did. Because of this, I think VOY was in the mainstream consciousness more than DS9.

DS9 had the highest rated debut of any Star Trek series before or since but DS9 was so different than anything Star Trek had ever done that a lot of fans were turned off by it. The show was far more dark, gritty and political than TNG and was more about exploring the human condition rather than exploring space. Add to that, the first two seasons of DS9, while having a few good moments, weren't exactly stellar.

I always felt that if Voyager had debuted later than it did, DS9 might have been a bigger success ratings wise. The original plan was DS9 would debt and run along side TNG for a couple years and then be the solo Star Trek show far a number of years and if DS9 was a big enough success, they'd launch another spin-off around the end of DS9s run. But two things happens DS9 and TNG did very well ratings wise running concurrently that Paramount felt they could have two Star Trek shows on at the same time. Paramount was finally going to launch its long talked about TV network so it was decided that they would debut the network with a new Star Trek show.

The problem is a lot of TNG fans who didn't liked DS9 gave up on the show and waited for Voyager to debut. Sadly, DS9 really started coming into its own in the third year at the same time Voyager launched and all the publicity and media attention went over to Voyager.