Vikings season 2 episodes discussions (spoilers inside, of course)_

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dorian Thompson, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Re: Vikings season 2 episodes discussions (spoilers inside, of course)

Bjorn does seem too good, but I expect he'll toughen up. I wonder if he will come across Athelstan in England?

I am interested to see how they use this business with Athelwulf, Ecbert's son. Historically, Judith is his second wife, and was a Frankish princess and granddaughter of Charlemnge. 12 to boot... so they're making this up as they go. Alfred the Great was the son of Athelwulf and his first wife, Osburh and neither woman had anything to do with Aella. Who knows how they'll play the English angle beyond the broadest brushstrokes of history.

2. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Just found out that the actor playing Floki is Alexander Skarsgard's younger brother...

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

When Ragnar said last week that he was going to blood-eagle Borg, I think I muttered "oh dear" out loud. My wife asked, and I described the blood eagle to her. She said "oh dear."

Man has such creative ways of killing each other. But I'm wondering if a blood eagle is any worse than crucifixion. I guess it's more brutal, but the victim isn't any happier either way.

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

12 was considered marriageable age amongst the royals. From what I understand, the man was expected to wait to consummate the marriage for a few years. Margaret Beaufort's husband (he was 26, she was 12) didn't wait, that pig. That's why she was only 13 years older than her son, Henry VII. She was so damaged that she never bore another child. That marriage was arranged by Henry VI. Edmund Tudor was a half brother, I believe, since Henry V's widow, Catherine of Valois, broke royal protocol and had an affair with one Owen Tudor a few years after the king's death.

I'm thinking Michael Hirst chose wisely in not portraying a 12 year old bride but still....why not portray Ethelwulf's first wife? Hmmmmm....shades of making Margaret Tudor nonexistant on The Tudors and thus eliminating the bloodline of Mary Queen of Scots.

5. Gov Kodos

Agreed, as for the name, that may just have been for the greater familiarity of the name Judith over Osburh. I wonder if Hirst will acknowledge that first wife, or just have Alfred born of this marriage?

6. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The History Channel website has "Inside Episode ..." videos, and judging by the last one, Alfred will be a result of this marriage. Historically, he was born in 849.

The whole timeline of this show is screwed anyway. King Aella, Ragnar, Ragnar's sons, Horik are all about a generation or two too early, Ecbert became a king few years later than in the show, Athelwulf was supposed to be about 4-5 years old when the second season takes place etc etc etc. Just as with The Tudors, the emphasis in "historical fiction" here is much more on fiction.

7. Forbin

Still not as off as Xena's "history"! :lol:

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Psst. It's more mythology than history. You know, like the bible, or most of the stories told around hearth fires of old.

9. Gov Kodos

It's taking broad and liberal strokes with history, legend, and conventional fictional forms for sure, but it is a fun story none the less. I'd have loved Athelstan asking Athelwulf sotto voce where the hell this England place was and him shrugging it off and saying just go with it.

10. Shurik

It most definitely is. I love this show.

11. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The inaccurate history doesn't bother me so much because I've watched a lot of Japanese, Korean and Chinese historical dramas/movies where many liberties were taken with the story. Particularly in terms of offspring for the King/Emperor usually involved in the story since most often have soccer team sized rosters of children from multiple wives/concubines.

I do think there is a little disconnect that this is on the HISTORY channel and not really being very historically accurate though.

12. Forbin

Well, considering the History Channel also has a buttload of UFO and cryptozoology shows, this may be one of its more accurate presentations. :D

13. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Interestingly, it seems there was a small bit of dialogue that was filmed but not used in the final episode. Someone who knew about Horik's proposition asked him why he didn't actually help save Borg, and the reply was that the king would never have helped him escape. He wanted to make Jarl suffer more by offering him false hope. It seems that while Horik may have been honest about the need for Borg's ships and warriors, he still considered him more of a potential threat than Ragnar is becoming.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Introducing Ivar the Boneless and Princess Slutbunny....

15. Gov Kodos

Good luck:guffaw:

Betrayals run amok next episode, looking good.

16. Shurik

Remember how the Seer said to Ragnar that one of his sons will marry a daughter of a king?

Bjorn + Princess Slutbunny, mark my words.

17. Gov Kodos

I enjoyed Lagertha's cat. Remembering how the dead hubby compared her breasts to Freja's breasts (she being reknowned for her beauty) Freja was also known for her cats. They were important animals to her and pulled her chariot. Freja was also a goddess of war and had claim to half the dead of the battlefield and Odin the other half. Lagertha makes a great complement to Ragnar in that sense of Freja as Ragnar sees himself a descendant of Odin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

But first we're bound to get Athelstan and Princess Slutbunny.

19. Shurik

And everyone else in Ecbert's court.

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Athelstan sure is a chick magnet....