vg247: "New Dragon Age, Mass Effect titles will be heavily influenced by Anthem, says Bioware"

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SPCTRE, Sep 4, 2018.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

So, wait, the next Dragon Age is going to be an MMO?

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks that way. And I'm not really a big fan of those. I like single player games for the most part.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Likewise. If it does end up being MMO, it'll be a pass:(

4. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Me too

5. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, makes me wonder too. Anthem has been plagued with problems since its release. Now, if there had to be a Mass Effect game using the games as service model, I think the series would better fit a traditional MMO rather than strictly a competitive shooter. This way, they could still have PVP zones with battle for control, but on the whole the game could still have a storyline. I would envision it not so far off from the The Old Republic, but with guns and biotics. They wouldn't necessarily have to go with the fully-voiced route, but having cutscenes with subtitles would be a good enough compromise.

7. Random_Spock

Yep. That's me with Tetris 99. At least they're supposedly coming out with offline modes... but for now, I'm stuck with their bs. And games like Fortnite are no fun when people are sniping you while you're trying to learn the game. /facepalm It takes time to learn it. How soon people forget when they first learned how to play it.

8. USS Triumphant

For me, it goes back to X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter. X-Wing had an *excellent* single player story line, Tie Fighter had an even better one... and then for some damn reason LucasArts decided that X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter would be online multi-player ONLY. In an era where the fastest connection most home users had access to was 48-53k dial-up. GENIUS. The game was unplayable for me. :/

9. 137th Gebirg

Well that sucks. I guess they don’t care about alienating a large chunk of their fan base. I’ll reserve final judgment until more information is revealed but it sounds like I’ll be passing on this too. A shame... I really liked the DA line. :sigh:

10. Random_Spock

Dang that sucks. Hate when any game decides to go this route. Not everyone has access to fast internet.

11. 137th Gebirg

And not everyone wants to be in a game with thousands of other people. Fable III did it right back when they had a co-op mode, allowing other individual players into their world by invitation only. So sick to death of this MMO thing. I loved Skyrim but wanted nothing to do with Elder Scrolls Online and have been waiting for Bethesda have Elder Scrolls VI take precedence over seemingly endless ESO DLC. At this point, I think it’s more likely that Starfield will be out before ES6 shows up, especially with the potential threat of a lawsuit over the next game’s rumored name, “Redfall”.

Random_Spock likes this.
  12. Owain Taggart

I guess their reasoning was there'd been two single-player games at that point and thought it'd be a great idea to make a multiplayer version of it.

USS Triumphant likes this.
  13. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh well, more money saved for a game i won't be touching, so i thank them for once again saving me money, very thoughtful of them. Lol

14. USS Triumphant

I'm sure that was it. As sure as I am that they did all of their testing on DSL or above connections that they had in their offices, and not on the dial-up connections their customers would be running on. ;)

Random_Spock likes this.
  15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

regardless of the chances of it happening, it wouldn't change anything in the way you'd probably hope - the things us longtime fans of BioWare associate with that name, those people? they're gone.

disclaimer: that doesn't mean there aren't still brilliant, talented people at that company who care deeply about these franchises (and RPGs in general)

16. Owain Taggart

Well, LAN play was popular back then. Did the game have LAN play? That would have made it easier for people to play that weren't on high speed connections. High-Speed was more of a rarity in those days as the shift between dialup and always on connections was just starting to happen. Heck, I know of some communities that still use dialup because they are underserved by cable.

USS Triumphant and Random_Spock like this.
  17. USS Triumphant

Regarding LAN play, that's true, and it did. But *I* didn't have anyone who wanted to play it on our LAN with *me*. This is all about me, you see. :D
    As for the rest of that, I was on the Internet before the Web existed, I was a Roadrunner installer when it first came out, and I'm a Network Admin now, so... yep, that's all true. ;)

Random_Spock likes this.
  18. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Didn't Casey Hudson return to Bioware after Andromeda?

19. Owain Taggart

Oh, I see now. So, in other words: ALL YOUR LAN ARE BELONG TO YOU! ;)

Somewhat related, but my Dad did a tech support stint for Time-Warner/Roadrunner Hawaii, and while it was a Canadian call-center, and he had to appear like he was in Hawaii and be knowledgeable about it. Sometimes the Canadian accent would give it away though and they'd ask if he was really in Hawaii. Though he often wished that he really was there.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    USS Triumphant and Random_Spock like this.
  20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Given EA's track record with previous studio acquisitions and the one two punch of MEA & Anthem being massivly disappointing launches, I'd be surprised if Bioware will be around long enough to make another DA or ME game. Not that I want that to happen by any means, but I feel in this instance it's best to keep one's expectations realistic.