Vesta class technical specifications

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Ian Keldon, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I've tried Search and it puts up too many "noise" posts.

Could someone direct me to a site or page where the technical specifications (size, speed, armament, crew, etc) for the Vesta class could be found, if such exists.

2. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Thanks Mage! Don't get more official than that!

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Although all fine and good, isn't it still just supposition by a fan and not actually official?

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Rademaker's design is the official design, so I would call it a little better than "supposition by a fan". But I see what you're really saying. The capabilities it has portrayed in the novels would carry more weight. The question is, are the authors following what Rademaker listed, making up their own stats, or some mix of the two?

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I remember correctly, Mark's own specs call for 26 or 26 decks. And in one of the novels, there already has been a mentioning of a deck 30-something. So yeah, the writers are doing their own thing.

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is one thing that nags at me: runabouts as part of a starship's complement of attached craft.

I keep thinking, "Don't these things belong to starbases, outposts, and the like?"

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

So it's really the same as it was in TV Trek - Voyager had two warp cores and two computer cores on the big Master Systems Display at the rear of the bridge, but the stories made it clear they "really" had one of each.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Enterprise had a runabout in "Timescape" and some of the comics. So it's canonical that runabouts can be support craft for starships as well as starbases.

12. DEWLine

Which couldn't have been a temporary loan-out to the Enterprise whilst en route from one home base to another?

(Remembering that this particular Enterprise has dropped off runabouts to bases like DS9.)

13. Christopher

What reason is there to surmise that? Why would you think that runabouts would be restricted to starbase use? I don't think anything was ever asserted to that effect in canon.

14. DEWLine

Seems like a reasonable intuition that "Timescape" was an anomaly, and DS9 the norm. After all, these runabouts get their own registry numbers as a rule. Not a "slash" code appending it as an attached vessel to another ship like the several Shuttlecraft Galileo for example.

15. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps, but for all we know said Runabout had NCC-1701-D/R2 or something pasted on the side. All we saw was stock Rio Grande footage and a couple new shots which had no visible lettering. In any case, no TNG-era shuttles had any /# seen, just the mothership's registration.

Didn't New Frontier have a Runabout assigned to the Excalibur?

Mark

16. Christopher

The runabout featured as part of the Enterprise's complement in issues 63-65 of DC's TNG comic was the Yucatan, which was given the registry NCC-72452. However, that's actually the Rio Grande's number, because the artist for those issues was very, very, very dependent on photo reference. And the number was only seen once in all three issues. So we can assume it was an error, and thus it's not very revealing.