Verbally attacked on public transportation today over my appearance

I've never been attacked (verbally or otherwise) on public transit, but there was this one time in New York City when, as I was emerging from a subway station on Lexington Avenue, my cell phone went off. I was using the TOS communicator noise as a ringtone. Lots of people heard it and started laughing at me. I was rather embarrassed by that. :alienblush:

I would have liked to have that ringtone on my flip phone years ago, but nowadays I let my Nerd flag fly by still using the Buffy the Vampire Slayer theme song as my ring tone.

When I first went to high-school, I was a tomboy. Many people were confused and thought I was a guy, I was called a d-word. And I didn't drink or smoked or went to parties, I found it stupid that had to do all of those things to be popular.

But I was sick and tired by the hurtful comments of my appearance, I grew out my bowl cut, I started wearing more feminine clothes with a bit of cleavage. No dice, by the time I graduated my popularity increased enough to stop being called d-word, but not enough to get the boys attention. They still saw me as a d-word, not as the woman I've become

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first went to high-school, I was a tomboy. Many people were confused and thought I was a guy, I was called a d-word. And I didn't drink or smoked or went to parties, I found it stupid that had to do all of those things to be popular.

But I was sick and tired by the hurtful comments of my appearance, I grew out my bowl cut, I started wearing more feminine clothes with a bit of cleavage. No dice, by the time I graduated my popularity increased enough to stop being called d-word, but not enough to get the boys attention. They still saw me as a d-word, not as the woman I've become

First, thank you for sharing your personal experience.

However, please be aware that we don't allow slurs here. I understand that you were just relaying that they actually used that slur against you, but the word itself is still not permitted.

I don't think there was malicious intent here, so rather than issue a warning, I have just edited your post to remove the slur, but in such a way so that people can still intuit what the slur was that was used against you. If you don't like that particular formation, and want to edit it to a non-slur equivalent, please feel free.

Back