USS Defiant, NCC-1764-A

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, Apr 10, 2010.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral Admiral

Even with homing weapons there are arguments for launchers facing in more than one direction. Submarines have aft torpedo tubes.

2. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Homing torpedoes sort of resolve the whole 'more than one direction' portion of your argument. All an aft torpedo launcher would do is just allow the ship to fire off another shot, that's it. And with the rapid like fire of the torpedo launchers depicted in various Treks, that's kind of redundant as well.

In World War 2, Subs had to have aft launchers because the torpedos of the time had no homing capabilities, and most of the time they used them was because they were often pursued by attack ships.

And besides, weapons fired from the front of a ship that goes in the opposite direction can still look awesome. Ever see "The Last Starfighter"?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  3. BK613

BK613 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agree with the "orifice" observations on the aft launcher. Then again, I never liked the indentation in that area, either on the new version or on the excelsior before that

4. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

However, having an aft launcher does give you a weapon in a different location that the one in the neck. Harder to take out both locations at once.

5. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

What, another body part? An actual sphincter? :guffaw:

(Look, I kid because I'm a kidder, and I'm a kidder because I love.. Please don't hurt me.)

6. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The intent in TOS/TMP, of course, is that screens and shields are the line of defense against weaponry. That is, it doesn't matter squat where your stuff is, because and unshielded ship would be sliced to bits or outright vaporized by enemy weapons fire.

Thus, if you're designing a ship to be redundant against damage sustained by weapons fire, then something is being done horribly wrong.

7. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Funny, I must be too old or naive, :) I didn't see any body parts when I saw that render...I just thought "oh, a rear torpedo launcher, cool"...(Any function in that silly cutaway area is a good thing, IMO...never understood that, even on the TOS E.)

Perhaps twin tubes? I like the smooth faired-in look, as it's different than the greebled Excelsior or Nu-Prize take on that area.

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

How about a launcher behind the neck directly opposite of the forward launcher?

9. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Commodore

That location came up a little earlier... we decided that there wouldn't be room for the turbolift car to move up and down if the two sets were connected.

I think I'll be leaving the rear torpedo bay down there, but I am definitely going to put some hatches or something around it, to detail it out. :)

Maybe I'll get something done on this today... too much STO this weekend. :)

10. MadMan1701A

Alright, I made some progress! I have all the windows cut out, that's always a time consuming part, making sure they are all inset the same, etc.

A major change that I played with today, on the Nacelle Pylons. I decided that they were too "deep" before... I like how wide they were, but they were making the Nacelles look short. I also made them up in a more TOS style...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do ya'll think about those new pylons? I really like them better, it seems more balanced, to me, anyway.

Updates later, if I can pry myself away from the TV and STO. :)

11. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Premium Member

You're right, the new pylons look much better. I hadn't realized until you changed them the effect the original version was having on the visual appearance of the nacelle lenght.

I like the windows a lot, as well. I like that you kept a pattern similar to the TMP refit along the saucer rim. Big :bolian:

p.s. -- and in looking again, it seems that you've closed off the aft ends of the nacelles. Be interested in seeing that a little closer.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

great updates :)

Now it reminds me of the X-ship from Starfleet Battles :) :techman:

btw.. wheres Icy been? did he get fired from them or something? :(

13. MadMan1701A

Thanks, guys. :)

I don't know, I haven't seen Icy Penguino in a long time... I hope everything is cool with him. :)

14. publiusr

publiusr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He did nice Klingon ships IIRC. I kinda miss the inside of the old pylons, but these look nice as well. Perhaps you could emulate the inside of the pylons on the outside--no vents there, just paneling that evoked the earlier ones--so as to break up the exterior of the pylons.

15. MadMan1701A

That's a really good idea... big removable panels, with red stripes on them will work. :)

16. CDR6

CDR6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh yeah, this is the good stuff! When I first looked at the nacells I though they tapered too much. (Same-same the engineering hull...) But this is coming out so cool as you start to detail it out. It's intriguing how one has to look at her several times to figure out what era she represents. This just gets better and better...

An lastly remember to relax and let yourself heal.

-Chuck

17. MadMan1701A

Thanks. :) That's exactly what I'm going for. :)

I'm definitely taking it easier this week. I don't need a repeat of last Friday...

18. MadMan1701A

Alright, it's starting to come to life a little more. :)

Some big renders...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll probably tweak those domes some more, but I want to keep it pretty simple, for this model. I want it to look a little similar to the TOS style, but a little more simplified / refined. Let me know if it's a failure. :)

19. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

20. MadMan1701A

OK, so I wasn't happy. I tweaked it some more...

[​IMG]

That's the last big image for a while. I'll go back to 800x600. :)