USS Albacore, Ambassador Class Prototype

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by SCE2Aux, Aug 8, 2023.

1. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Hello :)
    I've been making a new starship model for a bit and would like to share it in its current state of wip. It's based off of the ambassador class, but with some Excelsior/Ent-B inspiration, and some of my own ideas in the mix too.
    The model is pretty much complete, and I've just started the textures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some close-up details:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, here's the current progress with texturing.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully will be posting some secondary hull texturing progress in the coming week.

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Those....are amazing!

3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I like your style a lot, it's really one of a kind, love the impulse engine clusters, a big lunk of a ship needs quite some oomph to get going. :mallory::techman::D

Professor Moriarty likes this.
  4. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Thanks! That impulse engine design started off as an extruded cylinder on the low res blocking mesh, but ended up getting influenced by the doubled up SpaceX SuperDracos that are mounted in 4 packs on Dragon capsules.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

This is insanely good, @SCE2Aux! All this detailing is breathtaking. This looks huge and heavy and like it means business. I feel like it's more militaristic than anything that was actually seen onscreen on Trek.

Professor Moriarty likes this.
  6. MisterD

MisterD Commander Red Shirt

This is insane. Very impressive.

7. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Thanks, @Michael ! I intended it to look sturdy and solid (with the stock Ambassador not being exactly light and graceful to begin with) by thickening out the neck and adding exposed structural elements everywhere. The militaristic vibe kinda happened as a byproduct.

I don't think I'm able to edit thread titles, but would it be possible for you to fix the typo by adding the 'm' in Ambassador please? I should know to proofread posts at this point haha

Professor Moriarty and Michael like this.
  8. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love this! :) An interesting concept well-realised - keep up the great work @SCE2Aux !

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Seeing this – can't stop marvelling at your renderings, especially that final shot of the warp nacelle – I wonder how much you plan ahead while working on this versus just going with the flow one what shapes and forms you are integrating in the detailing. Does this just happen in the 3D program or do you make sketches beforehand and figure out how you want to do things?

Got you covered. :bolian:

10. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

I used to just throw myself into projects without a significant amount of planning, but that led to problems later on in the project.
    If I could sketch competently it would be a real boon because it allows artists to rapidly iterate their ideas before committing to a final product. I've got basically zero traditional art skills, so I did my 'sketching' in 3d, with very rough models. I started here with a blocky Ambassador, which I then modified until it had some shapes that interested me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I then made a slightly better version with more ideas I wanted to include. If you saw the wireframe you'd see this model is a combination of really hacked up geometry, and some stuff (like parts of the nacelles) that made it through to the final model:
    [​IMG]
    At the same time, I created some diagrams based off of the above model, that detailed some of the features I wanted on the final model:
    [​IMG]
    Again, because I haven't got traditional art skills, I still came across bits of the design that just didn't look right when it came to the final model, case in point, the saucers hangar bar and impulse engines, which ended looking awkward and blocky, so I made another low res mesh that helped me figure out that region:
    [​IMG]

So, that's pretty much been the method running through this particular ship project. Same for the texturing side of things, lots of shader tests, texture tiles etc, figuring out what works and what doesn't.

11. Santaman

Even that low res mesh looks great, that kind of colour is also used a lot in prototypes/design sketches which again has that industrial feel. :mallory::techman:

12. Death Ray

Death Ray Commander Red Shirt

Awesome. (Mmmm.... space tuna!)

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Even that bare-bones version is elegant.

14. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Some quick WIP renders show the secondary hull texture progress:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I'm really loving this whole thread, but this area of the ship in particular... it kind of looks like what you might get if one of the designers from the Battlestar Galactica reboot was asked to flesh out the fine details on a Star Trek ship.

16. Santaman

That's looking awesome. :mallory::techman:

17. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

That's really amazing. I shudder at the thought of the detailed interiors if you did them.

18. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Haha, thankfully the vast majority of windows will just have textured mapped boxes with a self illumination material behind them. :hugegrin:

19. NervousEnergy

NervousEnergy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Although I love the clean simplicity of TNG+ starship designs, I absolutely love this hyper-detailed version of the Ambassador. Really good job!

20. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was just thinking it had a very Star Wars feel, sort of Corellian.

Ar-Pharazon, publiusr and Kaelef like this.