"Upside Down" sci fi romance film (May 2011) with Jim Strugess

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I don't see how it would be possible to regularly cross over from one world to another unless they were both flat.

I mean, you take two spherical planets and place them next to each other, you may end up with a very tiny area where you can move between them, but nothing more than that.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless the cities were, maaaaaaasive pontoon cities which floated on the ocean and moved as the planets moved?

It's REALLY bad fake science.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was going to ask what this world was because the opening narration doesn't adequately explain things and it's not obvious that it's two planets in close proximity. It's more fantasy than scifi anyway because there are other unusual physical laws that are only there to serve the plot. In any case, I'm not complaining. It's a visually stunning movie with a nice soundtrack and the concept is pretty creative. It's worth checking out.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps these worlds aren't literally right next to each other, but there's some weird space warp which always connects the two.

I mean, if there were two planets which actually were this close together, the gravitational forces would tear them both apart...

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Safety Not Guaranteed. That's a must-see for any scifi fan.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Maybe it's just better not to think about it.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just added that one to my Netflix queue a few days ago.

8. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Sound of Her Voice, time travel. Written and starring Brit Marling if I remember correctly.

Also, Robot & Frank.

Also, Never Let me go, clones.

Looper, time travel, is borderline, being made and bugeted like an indie but marketed as a mainstream action flick.

SF without spaceships have been occasionally sneaking into movies for quite some time.

SF plot devices have been a staple of many movies, but the verisimilitude they aimed at has confused the deep thinkers who can't tell the difference between fantasy and SF and realism.
    The first half of the recent Side Effects was straightforward SF in many ways, til it relieved the tension by turning into a thriller.

9. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

This is going in my "best of Guy Gardener" file.

10. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

a review is up
    Review: Spectacular Inverted Indie Sci-Fi Romance in 'Upside Down'

While any review that mentions the cinematography a lot is usually code for a bad film this one talks about the sci-fi world building including the production design & art direction to create it and the sci-fi aspect of it which I really love and it wasn't even a scifi website but a regular movie website. There are comparisons with Andrew Niccol's Gattaca (1997).
    About the director on Upside Down's story:
    In the USA March 15 limited theatrical release.
    This Spring in European countries.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So the staged sexual taboo conspiracy didn't annoy you?

I was assuming half way through that it would be honestly revealed that pregnant women would be carried into space by their unborn children and who would then both freeze, and then both explode from the effects of the vacuum.

That's a perfectly good reason for a sexual taboo dictating why the two worlds shouldn't cross pollinate.

Or possibly that the halfotherworld babies inside mummy would catch fire in uetero and then explode like landmines while Mom is shopping for prams.

Although if the pregnancy is only going to last a couple hours, before the baby becomes as hot as molten glass, and it sears a route though it's mother skyward, it's possible that the cauterizing effect would make the effect survivable.

However a pregnancy would never get that far... 300 million sperm per millilitre of ejaculant turning white hot, then carving a smeltering freeway spaceforth through mummy's face and shoulders to the VanAllen Belts.

AIDS is ####ing charming by comparison.

12. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. It was a very good indie film.

More fantasy than scifi, but What Dreams May Come was a romance with, at the time, ground breaking effects. I'm almost wary of every watching it again knowing it will look like crap 15 years later!

Critics are not being kind to Upside Down. Sounds like a rental!