Unpopular Trek opinions game

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ED-209, May 15, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed.
    Indeed and it is so irritating to here the complaints of "Klingons don't act like that!" when they have an interstellar empire and maybe *gasp* cultural variation.

2. JLBTucker

JLBTucker Commander Red Shirt

Huh i was expecting taht to be more unpopular

Vger23 likes this.
  3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm someone else who also liked TFF.

But. Way, waaaay back, most other people on the board here didn't. Everyone else who likes the film came out of the woodwork and joined later. And here I was thinking, "Where were all of you all this time?!"

As of 2020, my ranking of the first 10 films goes:
    1. TWOK
    2. TVH
    3. FC
    4. TUC
    5. TSFS
    6. TMP
    7. TFF
    8. NEM
    9. INS
    10. GEN

The optics of those rankings are deceiving, as I like the vast majority of them. It's just a matter of which one do I like more or less.

Vger23 and JLBTucker like this.
  4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Unpopular Opinion:

"Yesterday's Enterprise" is overrated.

It's a fun episode and has some great stuff, don't get me wrong....I definitely like it, but it's one of the earliest reset button episodes in the franchise.

Orphalesion, fireproof78 and BillJ like this.
  5. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's actually two resets in the episode. Which one do you prefer?

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not to mention the ugh romance between alternate-Yar and Castillo. :barf:

fireproof78 and Vger23 like this.
  7. Lord Garth

I have to disagree with this unpopular opinion. "Yesterday's Enterprise" is my favorite Pre-"Best of Both Worlds" episode of TNG.

But I'll make up for it by giving an unpopular opinion of my own: Too many people crap on how '80s the first two seasons of TNG are. I like the '80-ness. It's what helped me get through a lot of those episodes during my rewatch leading up to Picard. If I can't be entertained one way, at least I can be entertained another.

Orphalesion and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  8. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with this a lot. I think the format is a bit to blame as well in TOS and 90s Trek (with the expection of DS9, to some extend) we saw very, very little of how civilians live. We generally see very little of cities and all of that.
    Star Trek has also this kind of weird tone where some of the more fantastical aspects of Science Fiction, just as Ecumenopoli would almost seem out of place.
    Like I remember seeing the TNG episode about the Dyson Sphere as a child, and even then I already knew they wouldn't dive too much into that.

I love the Space 80s style of TNG!

Lord Garth likes this.
  9. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

I agree with this so much, the '80-ness is one big reason why the first two TNG seasons are my favorites! :techman:

Lord Garth likes this.
  10. Lord Garth

Unpopular Opinion: I can't stand the overall vibe of "How dare you like the new series better." Two-and-a-half years in, two series later, I can definitively say that's what I think.

I'm sick of the deification of older shows. It's TOS not TOSious. It's TNG not TNGaeon.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  11. fireproof78

This is pretty much my view as well. I am tired, just flat out tired, of the idea that old Trek someone automatically equals good. And I'm seeing it with most franchises now that I enjoy, like SW treating the Prequels as these incredible films that just were not appreciated or the hate was overblown.

And I'm just annoyed a this point. Not all of TOS was good, not all of TNG was good, not all of ENT was bad, etc.

Yes, I can like new stuff more than old stuff. There is a reason why I rate the Abrams' films so highly and its not just because I'm a dumb millennial (I'm not) who just wants actions (I don't.)

Orphalesion and Lord Garth like this.
  12. BillJ

You can like what you like. From my seat in the auditorium, I haven't found anything done in the current shows that exceed what was done twenty to fifty years ago.

I watched "Spock's Brain" and "The Paradise Syndrome" two nights ago, "Caretaker" last night, and I found them far more entertaining than what CBS currently is producing. A big part for me, is that a lot of the "fun factor" has been sucked out of Trek in order to make these super serious shows that wear its skin. I thought it was bad during the Berman years, but the current shows have completely sucked any kind of fun and creativity out of the franchise.

Discovery: Well the franchise has four hundred episodes about Klingons, lets do more Klingons!

Picard: We had fifty episodes of TNG about positronics, lets do more!

I thought maybe it was me? But I found each of the Abrams films a fun ride that didn't take themselves too seriously. It is definitely a mileage may vary kind of situation, but I've seen nothing from the current shows that make me go OMG! that is creative and I totally wasn't expecting that. They just seem anchored completely in what's came before with no ambition beyond "what can we mine from the past today?"

13. Lord Garth

I'm talking about the bigger picture. You're talking about the weeds. The series doesn't matter. If it's the one currently in production, the rhetoric will be "How dare you like this new show? Those old shows were great!" Doesn't matter if they were tearing those old shows apart once before. Ripping apart B&B and any series after TNG back in 2000, but now, in 2020, they're suddenly okay? No. That's bullshit. And the same thing will happen to Discovery and Picard. In 2040, someone will be complaining about why whatever Star Trek series is on then can't be more like what they'll think of as the Kurtzman Glory Days.

You say the new shows don't have XYZ anymore. You think we didn't hear that 20 or 30 years ago? We did. There are posters here whose names I won't name -- you know who I'm talking about, you've been here long enough -- who were notorious for complaining about it all the time.

What DSC and PIC are doing happens to be in alignment with what I want. One day, there will be a series that isn't. What's the more sensible thing for me to do when that time comes? Move on or moan about it non-stop?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    fireproof78 likes this.
  14. BillJ

I seriously hope people remember these shows in 2040. But, right now, they feel as disposable to me as the Bantam novels from the 70's.

15. fireproof78

Oh, I guarantee I gave up on ENT because it wasn't that fun, as well as just not enjoyable characters.

Plus, the stupid Klingon scene at the beginning of Season 1!

They will. What else will be used as a baseball bat against the newest incarnation of Trek?

Orphalesion and Lord Garth like this.
  16. Orphalesion

Not sure if that's an unpopular opinion at this point...but if Star Trek never does another episode about Klingons, I wouldn't mind that one bit.
    I'm just watching DS9 and I'm quite annoyed how many Klingon episodes they shoehorn in after Worf's arrival (and even before Worf's arrival...)
    Don't get me wrong, I like Worf, I'm just tried of all that Klingon stuff and the "warrrgh HONOUR warrrrrgh, let's eat living worms warrrrgh. Here have another ritual that's all about pain/killing"

Qonundrum and ThreeEdgedSword like this.
  17. fireproof78

Same here. It's pretty much only DSC that Klingons became semi interesting again...barely.

And, similar unpopular opinion, I would prefer no more Borg.

Qonundrum and Orphalesion like this.
  18. Orphalesion

I wouldn't mind that either, they're so over-used. And in Voyager they pretty much became a laughing stock, anyways.

fireproof78 likes this.
  19. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spoiler for Picard.

If Picard and crew hadn't stopped the collection of the particles in Insurrection, Riker and Troi's son wouldn't have died, having had access to the omni-cure of the particles.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2020
  20. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Use the spoiler code.Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2020
    JonnyQuest037 likes this.