Unpopular Trek opinions game

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ED-209, May 15, 2019.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I had to come up with something so we were talking about something else. I ran through my list of unpopular opinions earlier.

Ummm... here's a better one... I don't think "Shades of Grey" is the worst episode.

BillJ likes this.
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not as long as “Fair Haven” and “Spirit Folk” exist! :eek:

Lord Garth likes this.
  3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Move Along Home would like a word with you...

Lord Garth and BillJ like this.
  4. BetaHazard

BetaHazard Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Still going with Sub Rosa.

Nyotarules and Qonundrum like this.
  5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

How about Threshold? I don't know what kind of weed they were smoking for that one but it must have been something strong.

Nyotarules likes this.
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Regarding Harry’s supposed fear of Seven: Maybe he’s wary, on some level, that she might try to assimilate him or something. The fact that she’s an ex-Borg would still be fresh in his mind.

Also, maybe he’s suspicious of how she just throws herself at him. She may not even know what she’s doing - Harry doesn’t seem like the type who’d be into casual flings, but of course Seven doesn’t realize this.

And again, as a former drone, it could be argued that since Seven was only recently freed from the collective, she’s technically not an adult, at least not emotionally. Is she capable of consent? Harry could be picking up on that, as well. In an emotional sense, Seven was still a child (childLIKE, anyway) so Harry may have felt that he’d be taking advantage of her if he did anything.

BillJ likes this.
  7. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

What Seven wanted or asked to do with Harry was probably every fanboy's, regular fan, or simply male or female's dream. "So you wish to copulate?" Ok take off your clothes". Just like that. :lol:

And Harry totally messed that up. Even though he was the one that initiated the whole thing.

I know, he has to be decent and not take advantage, but that, in a nutshell is why Harry gets criticized in fandom.

Harry might be something of a cheater. He was supposed to be engaged or have a serious girlfriend back home named Libby. But in the first few episodes, when the crew visits an alien planet, he's acting very close to an alien woman.

This Harry topic is getting borderline hilarious.

8. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Yes, Harry is a clown in that scene. Seven is right, what Harry proposes is something normal people do in order to create a romantic mood. Of the two, even though she has no experience of anything like it whatsoever, he's by far the most clueless!!

9. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I quite like Threshold. I put it in the Genesis category of so silly it's entertaining.

Give me that over boring (eg Unforgettable), or just plain badly written & presented (eg Valiant, Rascals) any day.

10. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

"Move Along Home" is actually a fun romp that gives a bit of depth to Quark and showing what DS9 could do that TNG could not. "Sub Rosa" only has Duncan Regehr working overtime trying to save it but the dialogue wouldn't let him.

11. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't find Threshold very easy to watch. Genesis, on the other hand, is very entertaining. The only real complaint people have about it is "science." If you can get over that, it's a well done horror show.

And Harry would have been wrong to take advantage of that situation. He's a gentleman with respect for women.

12. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

True, and Harry did do the right thing. It was the right thing to do.

But to be honest, he wanted to have sex with her and was trying to rush the process. He called her at midnight to ask her to work with him the Jeffries tube. Then tried to make her comfortable, and then ….

Friendly association at midnight?? That sounded very romantic/seductive. Nah, he wanted to have sex with her and got overwhelmed when it was suddenly offered to him on a big plate :lol: .

It came off as a little creepy because of how he was hitting on her to begin with. Inviting anybody else like that would have seemed too forward.

How many people has he messed with anyways?

13. Tiberous Q Data

Tiberous Q Data Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The Motion Picture is still the largest group nap I've ever had.
    When I came to just in time to pick up Spock there wasn't another open eye in the theater and it was a really big one.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Move Along Home isn’t close to the worst episode. If the scenarios in the game were better designed it would be a good one. I copied the idea in a D&D campaign.

15. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

He values love the same way Kirk, Picard, Scotty and Riker do. Its all over by the next episode, those men need therapy when it comes to commited relationships

So did Western Europeans three hundred years ago, so I would not expect Asian culture to be just as it is now in the 2300's in RL or a fictional universe. However I do like the idea of Earth cultures not being assimilated by every single thing considered Western.

16. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know if its unpopular or not:

1. The Enterprise-E is the sexiest, most capable Enterprise, and is my personal favourite.
    2. JJPrise is a better looking ship than the Original Connie.
    3. Subspace Transporter ability is a great and needed addition to Star Trek lore.
    4. Section 31, in every incarnation, is a pretty cool and thoughtful addition to Trek as well.
    5. Pea-shooter phasers are tactically better than long beam phasers.
    6. Warp-10 limit is a stupid arbitrary limit to ST universe.

17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

^ Cutting-and-pasting the post from @StarTrek1701 immediately above, then looking at them one-by-one.

1. The Enterprise-E is the sexiest, most capable Enterprise, and is my personal favourite.
    I loved it back in 1996. But not as much as time passes. But my favorite has always been the TMP version. So I have to technically classify this as "Disagree".

2. JJPrise is a better looking ship than the Original Connie.
    Disagree.

3. Subspace Transporter ability is a great and needed addition to Star Trek lore.
    Agree to an extent. If the Federation's enemies had subspace transporters and shields were down, then Our Heroes would be in trouble.

4. Section 31, in every incarnation, is a pretty cool and thoughtful addition to Trek as well.

Agree.

5. Pea-shooter phasers are tactically better than long beam phasers.

I'd say it depends on the situation but I have no real opinion.

6. Warp-10 limit is a stupid arbitrary limit to ST universe.

I hardcore Agree with this one.

Unpopular Opinion: I think JJ Abrams is being used as a scapegoat for people who don't like the last three movies. The TNG Movies were already becoming more action-y. The next incarnation of Star Trek movies would've continued down the same path with or without JJ Abrams. He delivered what Paramount expected him to deliver. Films like TMP and TVH aren't going to happen in today's cinematic climate. It's not happening. That might change some day, but we're not there right now.

StarTrek1701 likes this.
  18. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

1. Another Section 31 fan here, but then I am not a fan of the Holy Starfleet and the righteous TNG Federation as part of the franchise. Humans are and will always have dirtbag tendencies, technology will not change this, and I expect aliens to be the same.

2. I see no reason for Starfleet not to develop and use cloacking tech, its as if the British army refused to use radar in WW2 because its 'ungentlemanly'..silly notion.

3. I detest the TOS uniforms, totally not practical, which deep space explorer would wear those pjs? I would not even wear them to bed!

19. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, it seems like there were a lot of higher ups on TNG with dirtbag tendencies. Sloan was at least polite

Lord Garth likes this.
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also part of a treaty.