Universal Studios Classic Monsters Extended Universe - wuh?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by eyeresist, Jun 24, 2016.

1. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Big difference here is I thought this was a rare instance where the remake far surpassed the original (and I enjoyed the original). Usually remakes don't have an upwards trajectory regarding quality, a third being even better than the great 2nd, in my eyes, is impossible.

Maybe it's closed-minded but I just loved the remake.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The 1980 remake is great, no question. My point was mostly that the Cronenberg version wouldn't exist if we'd applied the same arguments back then:

"Another remake! Why can't Cronenberg do something original instead of ripping off a classic movie?" Etc, etc.

And even if the third is NOT as good as the first two versions, where's the harm in having another run at it? Contrary to popular opinion, an inferior remake doesn't "ruin" the previous versions. They're just as good as they ever were.

The way I see it, remakes are a no-lose proposition. If the new MUMMY sucks, we still have the old ones to enjoy. And if the new one succeeds, we have another good MUMMY movie.

Either way, we don't lose anything . . . except, at worst, two hours of our time.

Markonian and Beagleman like this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm hoping for the best with these. I like the idea of reviving the Universal Monsters as a "cinematic universe," because it was probably the first shared-universe SF/fantasy franchise in American cinema.

Markonian and Nerys Myk like this.
  4. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

I liked Sofia Boutella ever since I first saw her on Kingsman: The Secret Service but her Ahmanet has got nothing on Anck-Su-Namun!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The remake was really its own entity distinct from the original in this case. Heck it was a Cronenberg film!

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's crazy that more time has passed since the Cronenberg Fly than between it and the Vincent Price version.

publiusr and Greg Cox like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Syfy has released a #MummyMonday featurette on Dr. Jekyll/Mr.Hyde and Prodigium. It gives our best look yet at Prodigium and also includes our first brief glimpse of Jekyll's transformation and Hyde.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

About the same amount of time between The Thing From Another World and Carpenter's version--and that 1982 film and the 2011 prequel

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. Christopher

I liked "Universal Monsters Universe" better as a blanket title than the rather generic-sounding "Dark Universe." But maybe they wanted to differentiate themselves from Legendary's Godzilla/King Kong-based "MonsterVerse." Which really should've been called "KaijuVerse," if you ask me. (Kaijuniverse?)

12. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I sense another title change for the Justice League Dark movie ;)

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is Dark Universe the name? I thought that was just a generic description for the trailer.
    EDIT: Never mind, just went to EiG's link.

14. Mr. Adventure

Maybe they didn't want Universe Universe but I agree it's too generic. I think even a small tweak to something like Universal Dark would work a little better and make it more uniquely googleable (yeah I made that up but it's fun to say).

15. Christopher

If Legendary had gone with KaijuVerse, then this could be the Universal Monsterverse. I'm not really crazy about the "-verse" formation ("universe" means "turned into one," so "-verse" just means "turned," which is kind of meaningless), but it seems to be here to stay.

16. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

After a time, enough can be enough. There were several Dracula movies after the 1931 Lugosi version, but most (with the exception of Horror of Dracula, or maybe the Jack Palance Bram Stoker's Dracula) were forgettable, either trying too hard to be different and edgy (in the era of their production), or just walking in the same, tired footprints (template) of the Lugosi film. So, in that case, no new ground has been broken.

...and suffering through Tom Cruise trying to act as someone other than Tom Cruise. Still waiting for that to happen.

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You haven't seen Tropic Thunder, have you?

Australis likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. Mr. Adventure

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Why are they all so desperate for such a crummy, generic name? Everyone is trying to ape Marvel's success so hard that they can't even be bothered to brand their stuff something other than "universe".