UK friends and the new Pint glass ...?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TrekkieMonster, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

:lol: This is awesome. I fooking love the British.

2. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

Unfortunately (fortunately?), not. Something I hope to remedy one of these days. As long as they'll supply me with plenty of pint glasses to defend myself from the unruly mob. :lol:

And no, I do not call it soccer ..., well, that's not quite true. In the US you have to, because otherwise no one will know what you're talking about. But, when in other countries, I call it by the proper name there.

Which reminds me of a funny (to me) story (funny, sad, not funny haha): on vacation in Mexico a few years ago we visited a Mayan ruin (with a tour group.) The guide was describing this Mayan sport that was very much like modern futbol. After using the word several times, this young woman on the on the other side of our group interrupted and said, "Excuse me, you keep saying 'football' but it sounds more like you're talking about soccer." Her boyfriend shrunk into himself like a turtle into its shell. :lol:

3. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

It's called football pretty much everywhere in the world. Are there any people besides Americans who call it soccer?

American “football” is peculiar to the United States. Or maybe just peculiar.

4. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nanny-state-tastic. Now kids, take out your safety pencils and a circle of paper. :rolleyes:

5. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I loved treating those kinds of patients, especially the aesthetically cautious suturing. Ah, those were the days.... :)

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

sounds like a decent idea. Good for real problems, plus stuff like just dropping and breaking, or where chips are missing out of one, etc.

Same kind of reason that aluminum bottles are going popularity with bars, especially at sporting events or large gatherings. They don't break, and you can't really throw one very effectively because they don't weigh much when empty. And better than the plastic ones...

7. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Thus comes the next logical step then.... transparent aluminum. :bolian:

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And as a bar patron, I like them because they're bigger. :p

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

God, nothing would bore me more. I never particularly liked suturing anyway, and to have to be neurotically slow/careful to prevent the facial scarring would have driven me nuts. I was so not made for any sort of surgical work.

I wasn't arguing against them, you'll note. If there's no significant marginal cost to implementing them (as the article suggested, and that sounds plausible given the simple nature of the fix), then it sounds a no-brainer to me.

Just wait until you learn about the Deep Fried Mars Bar.

10. SlaveOfSeven

SlaveOfSeven Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, someone comes at you wielding a deep fried Mars Bar and it ain't no joke. Defending yourself against fresh fruit's a doddle compared to that.

11. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

If the bar is smart, the aluminum bottles are deposited in a specific container and recycled, meaning a bit of revenue, versus sent to a landfill.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's like a cholesterol cyclone coming right at you. Much like Eddie Honda's Hundred Hand Slap.

I don't know about that. Watermelons can leave a pretty nasty bump if they hit right.