(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

What the f*** did we spend that £700m on !??!!?

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

My Arshavin prediction looks like coming true.

We've got Chopra on loan for the rest of the season though - excellent business. Now I don't mind that cup tie being moved so much...

Robbie Keane is officially back with Spurs. You cannot make that club up can you?

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reuters are now saying that the Arsenal deal for Arshavin has fallen through. A bit farsical this one.....

EDIT: Now Reuters are saying that the transfer may still go through. FFS! What a saga!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. HappyDayRiot

Malouda, Kalou and Quaresma in the same team. Oh dear...

That said I remember not so long ago when Quaresma was still really good. Maybe Scolari can do for him what he can't seem to do with Deco. Chelsea now have, I'm told, 9 Portuguese players.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

FFS only FOREST could throw a 2-0 lead especially one that came within the first 14 minutes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Great one Billy D!

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah well Billy already had his excuses in place (weakened team etc)

Looks like we've got Utd again...third time lucky?

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I think Utd are good odds to win the domestic treble this season.

8. Angel4576

Even at 0-2 I had little doubt that we'd pull it back. Once we turned it on after 20 minutes, and right through up until the last few minutes and injury time, we were by far the more dangerous side. Commons gave one warning that went unheeded when he boomed a 30-yarder back off the post. 60 seconds later, 3-2.

I see that Billy pulled his usual 'tactful' stroke of having a swipe at the Forest board for not buying a striker in January by putting Wes Morgan up front. Didn't he do the same with us when he put Big Dave up there at the end of a few games? What a tw@.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah he put Moore up front, certainly against Birmingham, not sure who else. Loved his comment that Derby were a prem side and Forest a league 1 team...someone should point out that two of our goalscorers were playing in L1 last season and the other was struggling to get back into the Sheff Utd side.

Strikes me that Forest need a few players once the loan window opens-they have the opposite problem to us, not enough players.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Wedon't need a striker (Earnshaw/Tyson/Garner) are fine, what we need is at least a winger if not two...We put a bi d in for Lee Croft and where rumored to be getting Gary McSheffrey on loan but NEITHER HAPPENED :shifty: and TBH, We have no great holding midfielder with Moussi out and Perch is ok but not what we needat the moment.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah but BD was also trying to sign Dele Adebola as well so he obviously thinks you need more up front.

12. Angel4576

^^ It's also classic Billy Davies to overload certain positions.

In our last promotion season, come January and the window opened, everyone knew we needed a couple of defenders and a couple of strikers. We were overloaded in midfield already. Who did he bring in? Yep, a shed-load more midfielders......

Honest mate, I'd be worried if I were you. The writing looks like it's on the wall already. He had a fairly long honeymoon period with us, looks like yours is over already.

OTOH, we're absolutely delighed with Young Nige. After the turgid excuse for football served up over the past 2/3 years in particular, the stuff he has us playing at the moment is almost unbelievable. He's obviously got decent motivational/man-management skills as well. Players like Teale and Savage were almost out of the door and on the scrapheap when Jewell left. Now, under Clough they're excelling again. It's like having a few new signings.

Hulse is bang in form now, and if Porter's anything approaching decent, I don't think we have too many worries. Mid-table at the end of the season and then start building during the summer. Next season? who knows, looking good though.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Totally agree. Billy's obsession with midfielders cost us that year. Yeah we won the playoffs, but we were top in January. If he'd signed an experienced central defender then we could have kept the momentum going when Darren Moore was suspended for 4 (or was it 5?) games. Instead we had to rely on Nyatanga, whose inexperience served to make Leacock edgy.Frankly we were lucky to finish thrid. If anything had happened to Stevie Howard we'd have been screwed because Macken wasn't up to being 4th or 5th choice striker, let alone second (technically Pesch was second choice but he couldn't play as a lone striker)

Billy Davies, not a terrible manager, but not as good as he thinks he is!

As for this season, all I want Nigel to do is keep us up--next season, well knocking on the playoff's door would be nice, but it isn't essential. When we go back up again it needs to be when its right for us because we have a strong team that's ready for the job.

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

15. HappyDayRiot

I'm happy for Setanta to have less though - I know all of one person and one pub in my local area with that stupid channel. Although at least they get their adverts put right in the right place...

I still think it's time a way was found to get Prem games on either BBC or ITV, even if it's a fraction of the number Sky gets. BBC especially has basically no football this season having given up the FA Cup, and whilst it may well get people into the pubs to watch games or indeed go to a game themselves, it would be great to have some terrestrial league action.

When did a terrestrial channel last have league coverage aside from highlights programmes?

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^For the top league, it was back in the last season before the Premier League started when ITV showed at least one First Division game every week (The Match).

When the Premier League started, ITV started showing second tier games on a regional basis under The Match name. The quality of these games was normally exceptionally poor.

ITV eventually launched the ITV Sport Channel and renamed OnDigital to ITV Digital and any fan of a Football League club at the time will tell you what happened there.

My understanding is that from next season (or possibly the season after, I am not sure) the BBC will be sharing the rights to the Championship (a limited number of live games plus highlights), the rest of the Football League (although I doubt they will show live games) and the Carling Cup (live games including the final and highlights) with Sky Sports. They will most likely be showing Championship highlights as part of Match of the Day.

17. HappyDayRiot

I do remember reading last year about the Beeb getting some Championship games- in fact I was under the impression it was going to be this season. They would probably do a better highlights programme than ITV's as well. Actually, I also seem to remember that BBC's Carling Cup coverage would be one semi-final, possibly a quarter-final as well, with joint final coverage.

Maybe BBC will give Cardiff more TV time than Sky do. I think they've had two games televised this season with precisely none coming up between now and March. Whereas Coventry, Blackpool, Preston and Wednesday seem to be on every damn week!

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Sky are evil, remember ? They forced the Premier League to accept the Arshavin transfer because they don't want Aston Villa in the top four because their matches get lower ratings than Arsenal games.

It's true, a Villa fan told me. :lol:

19. Angel4576

^^ On the regional second tier games shown on ITV. In the Central region, with so many Midlands teams, it actually made for better viewing than the top flight games at the time anyway.

Derby, Forest, Stoke, Birmingham, WBA, Wolves, Port Vale etc. Some great matches. I remember one where we played WBA, 0-0 at half-time. Went on to win 5-3 after 90 minutes. Also remember one where Port Vale played QPR. Port Vale were 4-1 up with about 5 minutes to go, yet it ended up 4-4.

Of course, what I never did understand about the Central region cachment area, was that it suddenly included Swindon and Oxford. WTF? :lol:

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Yet at the same time, they used to take the piss out of the Endsleigh League on Fantasy Football League every week. When I played football at school we used to play "Endsleigh League Rules" where you'd score points for messing up easy chances in the most spectacular manner possible and for scoring a goal with only one touch after a goal kick. :lol: