(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The age thing fair enough but as for trophoes he's managed Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth, Southamption and Tottenham so hs not likely to win much. Whats he done is generally over achieved so to toally dismiss him for any to post is a little snobbish something football chairmans n fans do too often.

* Won League One Title (Division 3 then) With Bournemouth

* Lead West Ham United to 5th in Premier League and lead them into Europe (Uefa Cup).

* Won The Championship with Portsmouth and then kept Pompey in the PL.

* Saints were bottom of the PL well adrfit of safety and took them to the last day of the season before being relegated.

* Return to Pompey to help them avoid relegation and then finish 9th (highest league position since the 50's). Won the FA Cup and took them into Europe.

* Spurs were in relegation when he took them over and now they are 3rd in the PL. Last 8 in the Champions League after already finishing 4th. Also got to Caring Cup Final with Spurs before losing on penatlies to Utd.

imagine what he could do with a club like Man Utd even for just a few years.

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Dunno. I don't really follow the English league that closely, so I'm going to take your word for tha. It's true my knowledge about Redknapp is only superficial.

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whether he's good enough is largely irrelevant - he won't get the United job either way.

It's Mourinho's in the long-term I'm sure, he's never made any secret of his admiration for Ferguson and the club.

Failing that, they would either promote someone from within, someone with links to the club, or a bigger name European manager.

I think the order of preference would be;

1) Mourinho
    2) Promote from within
    3) Recruit from the continent

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Redknapp has won stuff, but a lot of the time it's because he spends a shit load of money, and as far as I can see he has to shoulder some of the responsibility for the mess Pompy find themselves in. He's clearly too old for anything other than a caretaker role at United anyway given Fergie hasn't even retired yet.

He's better suited to England.

Be nice if United promoted from within (or an old boy--somehow doubt Bruce or Hughes will get it but Solkjaar is doing well by all accounts) and surely sooner or later Moyes will get a shot at a bigger job (or else somone will buy Everton and give him some blooming funds)

Probably be some Italian we've never heard of though.

5. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm glad Liverpool won but well done to Cardiff, they put up a hell of a fight and made it a tremendous final.

6. Angel4576

Fantastic, open game, a great credit to both clubs.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Gutted for Cardiff so wanted them to win.

I doubt Redkanpp had any money with Bournemouth and West Ham back then had one of the smallest squads n amount of money (they were regularly tipped by pundits to be fighting for relegation n Harry always proved em wrong). He's had money to spend at Pompey and at Spurs of course but spent it very well (always other clubs that had more then him but did poorer than him). Its just a pity Pompey's chairman's never told Harry they were giving him money they didn't have (Leeds all over again).

I'd Love to see Solskjaer become Asst Manager while Fergie is there or under the next manager for him to take the regins in the future. By all accounts he did a brilliant job with the Man Utd reserves and he's already made history at Molde. His biggest strength was his tactical awarness of the game n thats why he was such a good super sub and a footballer...that will serve him very well as a Manager.

8. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I was on a plane and missed all of extra time and penalties. Couldn't believe it when I finally found out what happened. I've only just watched it back on iplayer.

Such a cruel game sometimes. We playered our hearts out though. Roll on West Ham next Sunday.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ENG - no shape no system

Jones RB, Richards CB :wtf:

Young in the middle :rolleyes:

Welbeck did nothing yet Daniel Sturridge is farmed out on the wing yet again :scream:

10. Angel4576

Welbeck did fine, he just didn't have any support most of the time. I can't remember the last time we had a striker who held up the ball as well as he did it last night.

Sturridge did well when he came on, but yes, he must get a chance to play where he's supposed to play.

Parker - brilliant first half, bypassed in the second as they just played around him.

Cahill/Smalling - did fine. Not always helped out by Richards or Baines though.

Richards/Baines - not good enough. Walker should be first choice, and then try Warnock from Villa at LB if Cole isn't available. Richards, Baines, Johnson - none of them are good enough.

Hart - no chance with the goals.

Barry - typically useless.

Milner - see above

For saying that it was largely Holland's first choice side (minus Van der Vaart) against a highly experimental England side, I don't think we did ourselves any injustice. 3-2 was a fair scoreline, but it wasn't like we were played off the pitch. You could easily make the argument that we created the better chances (Sturridge's ball across the 6 yard line, Downing's shot etc).

All in all, I'm glad that we're beginning to use friendlies for what they can be used for. Rather that than putting out the same tired old team, playing the same tired old tactics, which enthuses neither the players or the fans.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Looking at the possible ENG Players in contention (GK's & DEF's)...

Hart - Great shot stopper & Excellent at 1 on 1's but his catching and parrying away shots from danger needs to improve.

Richards - Needs more time to get used to this level of football again but he is good enough

Walker - Probably will start EURO 2012 over Richards simply due to his attacking abilites, ENG need all the help down the width we canget.

G.Johnson - Decent going forward and has the experience but he must be the most easily bypassed right back at times.

A.Cole - Not what we was but easily our best left back

Baines - He looked good against Sweden but was shaky against Holland. He's good but needs to have the confidence n more caps to gain the experience.

Gibbs - Very little chance due to injuries

Jones - Should start as while he may being a little raw at times his talent is in little doubt. Also provides much needed pace at the back.

Cahill - Will go and probably start but you have to ask yourself is he really good enough to start a major tournament

Jagielka - I feel he should go and potentially should partner Jones. Pretty quick for an 30 year old who impressed against Spain/Sweden during his last round of games.

Dawson - Probably won't go but I would take him as cover. Despite having the annoying proneness of being turned/wrong footed he is very strong in the air and again provides much needed pace. Plus has CL/EL experience more than Jones/Cahill/Jagks & Lescott.

Terry - 50/50 to go but I won't take him due to a poor season on he pitch and a dreadful one off the pitch. He's like a one man circus for the media to feed on.

Lescott - May sneak in despite being prone to virtually sleeping on the pitch at times. Not good enough despite IMO.

Smalling - Needs more time to develop, not as good as Jones and we should not take two heavily inexperience defenders at the start of their footballing careers.

Will post my opinion about Midfield later...

12. Angel4576

My 25:

GKs

Hart, Carson, Foster (if he can be lured out of sabbatical), Green if not

Defence

Walker, Kelly, A Cole, Gibbs, Jones, Lescott, Cahill, Smalling

Midfield

Gerrard, Barry, Johnson, Walcott, Young, Parker, Wilshere or Cleverley (if Wilshere not fit), Downing, Milner

Strikers

Welbeck, Sturridge, Defoe, Carroll, Rooney

Positions & Cover

GK - Hart, Carson, Foster(or Green)
    DR - Walker, Kelly, Jones
    DL - A Cole, Gibbs
    DC - Cahill, Smalling, Jones, Lescott
    MR - Walcott, Milner, Downing, Gerrard
    ML - Young, Downing, Johnson
    MC - Wilshere (or Cleverley), Gerrard, Parker, Barry
    STR - Welbeck, Sturridge, Defoe, Rooney, Carroll, Walcott, Young

Captain - Parker
    Vice Captain - Cahill

Terry, Ferdinand, Johnson, Baines, Lampard - thanks very much but no thanks

Still leaves Rodwell, Carrick and Fraizer Campbell with the possibility of making a late claim for inclusion

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

(Carrying on from my last post)

Lennon - His pace would give ENG much needed pace to break in attacks but the problem is ENG don't play like Spurs leading to his form being in-consistant. Will go

Young - His goal record for ENG over the last 12 months has been impressive but still needs to step it up a gear. Clearly hates it when managers force him to play in the middle instead of drifting off the wing at his choice of timing. Will go and start.

Downing - Tries hard bless him but is not and never will be good enough for a major finals. Slow to cross and is easily tackled when trying to attack the fullbacks. Still will probably go though.

Chamberlain - Still to play but impressive for U21's and you know he may be the raw player we need to just throw in like Rooney at 2004 and Owen at 98. Probably won't go to the finals.

A.Johnson - Needs to play more for City but clearly is our next Joe Cole but his work rate is suspect at times. 50/50 to go.

Walcott - Not a winger unless injuries force him to play there or a super sub for 10-20 minutes IMO. Really should be playing up front on the shoulder of the last defender looking to run into the space. Electric pace and his finishing in the box is very very good pity hes never actually in those positions enough. 50/50 to go I feel due to his average ENG displays.

14. Angel4576

Yes, Oxlade-Chamberlain is a must.

I wonder if we'll sacrifice a striker to take him. Wouldn't surprise me if we do. Walcott or Young could conceivably play a more forward role if absolutely necessary.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Reports coming in that AVB has been sacked by Chelsea, not surprised hes failed on so many levels. Roman though needs to take more of the flack by canning Carlo last season for a 33 year old with minimal experience.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Chelsea, joke of a team now and joke of an owner--if you hire a young manager with the intent of overhauling the team you have to give him time. In Abramovitch's world Man Utd would have sacked Ferguson in his first season and Derby would have sacked Clough in his first year as well.

Never mind sacking Ancelotti, interesting to note that Chelcsea really started going downhill when they sacked Wilkins.

17. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Holy fuck. If Arsenal pulls this off, it's for sure one of the greatst comebacks of all time.

eta: Oh well. Great effort anyway. I guess that's Arsenal's motto almost.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  18. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

It is. And forget seeing any more of that kind of display this season - they never sustain it.

Arsenal's biggest achievement this season seems to be finally getting van Persie for the duration. It's going to see them finish fourth, if not third.

19. Angel4576

Jake Buxton.

[​IMG]

That is all......

:lol:

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral