(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A Liverpool vs Man U final would be fine, as long as LFC win.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm most definitely looking forward to the Championship, it'll be nice to win a game again!

I wouldn't say we were diabloical anymore, our major problem currently is scoring goals. Just look at recent games: we lost 1:0 away to Everton, with slow old man Darren Moore marking £11million Yakubu out of the game. We were unlucky to lose 1:0 to Man Utd, and on balance of play really should have beaten Fulham last week.
    Will we go down as the worst Prem team ever? Possibly, but I suspect there are a few surprises still to come before the season ends. But even if we do, I guarentee we won't be the worst team for long. Bristol City? Hull? Stoke?
    End of the day though we go down richer than we were last time in the CCC, with a far better manager who has a record of not only getting teams promoted but keeping them up.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

:lol: Or worse still, we could be Leicester!!

4. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who? :lol:

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ouch!

I think they're that L1 team we sent Stevie Howard and MAtty Oakley too!

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ooo Low blow :devil:

Will be happy to have a Forest/Derby game if we get promoted cause we have no real local rivals in League 1, which sucks.

7. Angel4576

Oh yes, the Derby Retirement Home XI, I remember now.....:lol:

Well there's good news and bad news for you I'm afraid Mark. Bad news, you won't be getting out of League 1 this year. The top two slots are pretty much gone to Swansea and Carlisle, and with Leeds slipping into the playoffs, as much as it pains me to say, they'll probably come up. On the brighter side, the good news, you'll still get to play us in the Brian Clough Trophy, which we obviously, currently hold......:p

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well there's good news and bad news for you I'm afraid Mark. Bad news, you won't be getting out of League 1 this year. The top two slots are pretty much gone to Swansea and Carlisle, and with Leeds slipping into the playoffs, as much as it pains me to say, they'll probably come up. On the brighter side, the good news, you'll still get to play us in the Brian Clough Trophy, which we obviously, currently hold......:p[/quote]

After watching us fail with our last two playoffs (League Champ & League One)...I've noticed when we gain a 2 goal advantage in the tie, we lose so we need not to score so many early on, hows that for a plan:lol:

9. Angel4576

I must admit, I've still got the Yeovil second leg on Sky+ from last season! :lol:

10. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I know everyone in the UK outside of Yorkshire hates us, so I'll let that slide (why, I've yet to determine. Rowdy fans that sometimes act like asses? Doesn't every club have that bad element? Hell, at least we have better support than Middlesbrough week after week, and we're in League One). :lol: I'm American so few people know the Leeds shirt, and everyone else just likes Man Utd and Chelsea.

Anyway, though I fervently hope we'll go up this year, I don't think it will happen unless we get our 15 points back. We're in the playoff places, sure, but we collapse in the run-in to the end of the season every year.

The way I think about it, sure it hurts to be out of the top flight, but I'd rather the club spends some seasons in the lower leagues stabilizing itself than be one of the yo-yo teams that constantly get promoted one year and relegated the next. Year after year. No disrespect to Derby, but I'd hate to get to the Premer League just to get thrashed every week. I remember how it felt to get relegated twice.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The prospect of a Leeds/Forest play off final puts me in mind of the AVP tagline, whoever wins, we lose! :)

Actually I'd rather Forest went up because local derbies are always good (and we could use the 6 points)

I think the dislike of Leeds stems somwhat from bad blood between Derby and Leeds who were huge rivals for the title in the early/mid seventies...plus you had the whole Cloughie angle as well.

Having Dennis Wise as manager doesn't inspire people to like you either, although that's out of the way now at least!

Mark, if Forest don't go up I reckon you will have a derby next year because I really can see Leicester going down. Shame for Holloway who seems a top bloke, but I'd love to see them relegated as I hate em (always have ever since the 94 play off final when they beat us)

12. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Well not just with Derby fans (and Man Utd fans at any rate).....but it seems that the whole country hates Leeds and Leeds fans. I'm unlike many Leeds fans in that I actually thought the club were absolutely stupid to sack Clough after 6 weeks. Five Years later he won 2 straight European Cups with Forest. So in retrospect, how much sense did it make? Whoever came after Revie wasn't going to be like Revie, and certainly the old Revie players that came in as managers in the 80's certainly didn't bring success with them.

But anyway, I just hope we have a brighter future.

13. Angel4576

My rivalry with Leeds fans stems purely from the fact that we were rivals in the 70s. I don't have anything against Leeds fans per se. I think things have probably been exacerbated in recent years by having Ken Bates and Dennis Wise at the club, and incidents like that at Portman Road last season undoubtedly wouldn't help your cause, but generally speaking, I think the perception of Leeds fans is somewhat wide of the mark these days.

I think, personally, given the choice, I'd rather Forest come up over Leeds, simply because, it's our local derby, and we miss the six points. Going to Elland Road has always been a chore, and last year apart, we never get any joy there!

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

To be honest most FOREST fans don't care about Leicester City though they seem to have a local rival with us. They are like the cousin, who no one talks or cares about :p

15. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it's Chelsea against Man. Utd then there will be another shit on the stick type game and it'll just as boring as the snorefest in 03.

I can actually see a Man. Utd and Chelsea final this year. For Chelsea third time will be the charm (Mourinho who?) and Barca is looking a bit wank at the moment.

16. Angel4576

Best case scenario - Liverpool Vs Man Utd, but I'd settle for anything other than Chelsea Vs Man Utd.

Still have a feeling that Barcelona will make it to the final though.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ha ha, I think that's a fair assesment. At the end of the day both Derby and Forest fans know who their true rivals are. Me, I wouldn't care too much if Leicester fell all the way to L2 and beyond, but I miss being able to play Forest.

Like Dr Evil and Asutin Powers Forest are the snake to our mongoose! :lol:

18. Angel4576

Leicester fans just can't deal with the fact that as far as East Midlands football goes, they've always been on the periphery. Derby and Forest rule the East Midlands. Even now, with Forest in League 1, they mean more to us than Leicester ever will.

Leicester should cultivate their rivalry with Coventry. That's more their level.....

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Coventry or Northampton Town anyway!

20. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmmm

Tom Hicks has "asked" Rick Parry to resign as Chief Executive of LFC.

I agree with Hicks here. Parry is piss poor at developing Liverpool as a brand and is notoriously slow with signing deals.

In unrelated news, why does Gerry Francis still have a mullet?