(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And just when you think Blatter can't get any stupider...apparently gay people planning to go to the 2022 world cup will need to abstain whilst there! You couldn't make it up!

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Wow... What can you say?

eta: here's a guardian article about it, and a video of the comment here.

What a fucking douche.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Blatter is a total douche, seriously if the head of any other company made a public remark like that, they would be sacked by their board. Blatter obviously though like his Qatar masters, is sexist and homophobic when you look at past comments.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Although if he were Italian they'd probably make him Prime Minister.

Hey who knows, maybe 2018 will help make Russia a less racist nation, and 2022 make Quatar less homophobic...

You know, how the Olympics made China a free and open democracy...:devil:

5. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

What about gay players? By 2022 there's a strong chance homophobia and football will have been addressed and reached low levels in the same racism did.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well there still hasn;t been a high profile footballer come out, at least not one still playing, but given that players from rugby and other sports have you'd hope it was only a matter of time...

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I see Blatter's apologiesed...that took a while! I also note they're on about moving the 2022 WC to winter and, interestingly, other middle east countries are talking about the possibility of staging games.

What The Fuck? So now countries that weren't even involved in the bidding process might get to host games? Just when you think the situation can't get any grimier it does!

8. HappyDayRiot

At least the games will get played, unlike in stupid countries that can't handle a little snowfall :D

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, good point.

10. HappyDayRiot

I'm glad that City v Everton wasn't postponed - always feels good to see Everton beat them. The epitome of well-run, living-within-means, poor team triumphing over The Best Team Oil Can Buy.

The Premier League postponements on the other hand are a joke, as are most of the Championship. If the pitch is playable, the game should go ahead. Slipping and falling outside the stadium as an excuse? Utter drivel - you could fall or slip anywhere, especially considering the vast number of people out and shopping or going to panto/shows.

The likes of Ancelotti, Redknapp and Dave Jones (:D) must have been delighted not to play those games, mind. When they're played now, there might be some semblance of form for their teams or catastrophic drop-off for the opponents.

11. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

The Sun (consider the source) reports that the Glazers are ready to sell ManU to the Qatar royal family and double their money in the process. Definitely good news for Tampa Bay Buccaneers' fans who are more than ready for the Glazers to start spending money on this side of the pond...especially since the team is finally heading in the right direction and could really benefit from a couple of good free agent pickups/trades.

12. HappyDayRiot

Three points at last! And even Bellamy scored. Verily, it must be Christmas. Or perhaps not - today was the first time Cardiff have won on Boxing Day in 11 years! Sadly I couldn't go, as there were no trains or buses running. I've never known such a thing to happen. It's the first time since about February I've had to use Soccer Saturday to keep track of a City home game. Very strange!

All these postponements are going to cause problems very soon - the likes of Scunthorpe and Blackpool will still be playing in July if the cold snap keeps up. At least the lower leagues can play on FA Cup weekdays - Championship and Premiership sides are less likely to have those days off (if they're lucky).

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

1-0 FOREST

1-1 (BOO)

2-1 FOREST

30 mins gone and this Forest/Derby game is looking a real cracker...Come on Reds lets get a 3rd ;)

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Nottingham Forest 5-2 Derby County

Oh its good to be a Forest fan today :lol:

15. HappyDayRiot

I swear last time I looked at the table Derby were 4th what the hell's gone wrong there? Now it's those swines Leeds... if our form was better I'd look forward to their visit to Cardiff on Tuesday, but instead I'm dreading it.

Though we may have signed Jonathan Woodgate by then!

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Aw crap...what more is there to see. Don't know what's happened to us, for a few weeks we were playing well but losing and now we seem to have slipped over into playing badly and losing. Nige seems to be spitting bullets!

Losing is acceptable, losing like that...

I still figure Davies will be gone before Nigel.

17. HappyDayRiot

Gotta give managers credit sometimes - we're crying out for new defenders, especially on the left and in the middle, so who have our Malaysian overlords reached into their pockets to buy for us?

Jon 'The Beast' Parkin! I hope he plays against Leeds tomorrow, but surely we needed the defenders more urgently? Blake, Gypeses and Riggott are not up to scratch and Naylor is just an embarrassment! I will concede that Mark Hudson has been much better this season than last. He's still average, but he's standing up as club captain and making key tackles and blocks a lot more.

Parkin's signing does raise questions about Bothroyd's future - contract's up in the summer and unfortunately if needs be we will have to cash in. At least we might send Andy Keogh back to Wolves now though - I like the guy but Jones has not played him properly all season and his goal tally of 2 reflects that. I'd tip my hat to him if he leaves though - 2 goals, both in injury time, a winner vs Milwall and an equaliser vs Preston. Vital goals and no mistake!

So who would you guys like to see your clubs sign in the window?

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well apparently Nige has hopes of signing three players, a defender, midfielder and a striker. My personal preferences for the type of player would be thus:

Defender, a mobile centre back who could play right back if needed. One old Cardiff boy is in the frame apparently, Glenn Loovens.

Midfielder, we need someone younger than Robbie Savage but older than James Bailey to give us a bit more cover at defensive midfield

Striker, someone with pace but who's also comfortable playing up front as a lone striker. Shame Luke Moore didn't want to come back, kinda wish we could have made a permanant move for him.

19. HappyDayRiot

Glenn Loovens, mobile?

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing not? :lol: