(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Ouch yes that's the one I remember. I think it was that year Swansea lost the play-offs as well. Or they lose in the final? I can't remember who it was, possibly Barnsley?

I hate play-offs. There's a 75% chance of misery.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

But a 25% chance of success!

In fairness we had a few reserves out Sunday as well! And I doubt anyone will beat our low score. If Portsmouth can't even do it by being shite and having points docked, I doubt anyone else ever will reach the lows of 11 points.

We were terrible, but I still argue we were awfully unlucky/unfit as well, the number of games where we were 5 minutes away from getting something and threw it away to either draw or lose was really annoying!

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Forest play the 2nd leg on my birthday though I swear the Yeovil 2nd leg was on my birthday too (11th) so am not expecting a happy birthday.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Chelsea win the title and it wasn't even close in the end quite boring cheers Wigan. Chelsea will easily win FA cup by a 4 or 5-0 drubbing of Pompey. Man Utd need a classy winger on left and shove Nani to right and maybe maybe could look for the next Scholes to slot into the middle 3. Sell Berb but with 1 striker upfront no need to replace him Owen, Macheda can get goals with Welbeck to return a big striker would be a waste of £££.

Englands case of WHY they won't win the World Cup is clear again and looks liek Capello might need to take 5 strikers or if Rooney is not fit then no reason to take Heskey.

Capello names Provisional squad today and my personal one would be...

GK - James, Hart, Green, Robinson
    RB - Johnson, Brown, G.Neville
    CB - Ferdinand, Terry, Upson, King, Dawson
    LB - A.Cole, Baines
    RM - Lennon, Walcott, Young
    CM - Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner, Huddlestone
    LM - J.Cole, A.Johnson
    FW - Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey, Agbonlahor

If not fit then no real need to replace Barry and maybe Bent for Rooney if not there. If Barry does go with Gerrard/Milner being there for Central or Wide role you could take just carrick and give Barry position to a 5th striker. I would also have serious doubts about taking Walcott to the World Cup.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I'm baffled that David James still is England's #1. How many times does a goalie have to embarrass himself to get kicked out of the team?

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^He isn't. Robert Green tends to get picked for most games.

In the long term, Joe Hart will be England's first choice for the better part of the next decade.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

David James is not considered the number 1 anymore and it seems Robert Green is who I consider 4th choice because hes a decent keeper but thats it. James is capable of truly world class saves but he is the poster boy for the flawed genius. His experience is a must for the squad though IMO.

In my eyes I would have Hart as number 1 with James and Robinson for backup. Keepers are a position where you must go on form and not reputation so Hart wins.

8. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Hopefully when Australia plays them, the Aussies can get away with at least a draw, but a win would be great. Not sure if it will happen.

Also as a Leeds United Supporter I am happy they are back in the PL again next season.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Errrr, no they're not. :)

10. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Damn. Hopefully one year they shall make it.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

After only just getting to the Championship after throwing away a decent lead this season in League One I think they will most likely get relegated again than go up to the PL.

12. HappyDayRiot

Nah, Leeds will throw money around and survive easily. As will Norwich. The play-off winner will probably struggle most, but once you get into the Championship it's not too hard to stay there.

So Forest are 2:1 down at half-time, Jax? Better sign than 2:1 like the last two times? Quite how we beat Leicester 0:1 I'll never know - really good open game and great goal, but the Foxes should have had at least one penalty if not three! I'm really nervous about Wednesday night now.

13. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Well, another season of success for Chelsea and another season of no silverware for Arsenal. Pretty much went the way anyone with half a brain would suspect though.

Kudos to Carlos' men for finishing in such style - scoring 17 goals in their last 3 games is pretty remarkable considering the pressure they had from ManU. And now they are the highest scoring team ever in a season of the Prem. You can't buy excellence like that.......actually no, wait, I guess you can. Even bigger Kudos to the best owner in football, Roman Abramovich. Chelsea fans are lucky to have him and are no doubt the envy of just about everyone out there.

Which brings us to Arsenal. What a mess. Between Wenger's inability to find fault within his own team and tactics, instead resorting to blaming everyone else except his own team, and their childish antics on the field, this is certainly a team on the decline.

Their greedy owners and ridiculous business model, coupled with up and coming teams like Man City and Tottenham, assure the Gunners of fighting it out for a spot in the Europa league next year. They lack the maturity, depth and strength to seriously contend for anything.

At least though, there is something positive coming out of North London - that being Tottenham of course. What a fantastic season they put together! You see no one, outside of koolaid drinking Arsenal "fans", cares about yet another 3rd place finish by the Gunners. Spurs are the talk of the town now, Arsenal is just playing second fiddle to them. Before you know it, Spurs will be the team of note and Arsenal will be more comparable to a Wigan or Birmingham.

Can't wait for next season!

14. Roger Wilco

Congratulations. Well deserved imo.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I really wanted one of Spurs/Villa/Everton to nab 4th spot. My preference would have been Villa or Everton above Tottenham but a good result for the game nontheless. I would be slightly worried if I were a Tottenham fan though...after all what happened to Pompy immeidately after Harry's success there? ;)

Much as I hate any team buying success, it would be good to see Man City win the league next year, if only to give us a different club at the top other than utd or chelski cos it's so boring. Given that City won't have the distraction of the champions league and can outspend the current top 2 I think it's likely.

Arsenal...sigh I'd love to see them win the league but I don't think it'll happen until Wenger goes mad and pays £20 million for a 30 year old with no resale value, and he isn't going to change now. Still hardly a mess, and I'd kill for Derby to be where Arsenal are now :lol:

So Zola sacked and McClaren manager of Wolfsberg eh? Great to see McClaren doing well. He was wrong for England but I will always have a lot of time for him as a manager, and as a coach because he did a great job with us.

16. Roger Wilco

Oh I would love City to be successful next season, if only to see the look on the faces of all those arrogant United fans and to hear them whinge.

17. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

No doubt. It's a shame they have Adebayor playing for them, but I must admit I do like Tevez. His ManU snub to go across the city was fantastic.

18. HappyDayRiot

Not a problem - Adebayor and Tevez will both leave this summer and be replaced by less petulant and better quality forwards. Santa Cruz will go as well. And probably half the rest of the squad. Do they still own Robinho?

19. HappyDayRiot

I take it back.

I'm really scared about tomorrow's game now. And possibly of Blackpool as well. A couple of their goals were quite lucky, but they did well tonight.

20. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Couldn't let last night's game/result pass without a :lol: :lol: :lol: