(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well so much for hoping Burnley would beat Derby's 11 point low :( Oh well there's always Hull :)

Only saw a bit of MOTD last night but if Glen Johnson plays like that consistently he was a snip!

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

3 1/2 hours until kick-off, finally getting away from work - Aston Villa here I come! I'm expecting an epic evening, regardless of what happens, there's nothing better in football than European Cup. :)

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I hear Vienna took the lead in 40 seconds - excellent stuff! Edit - haha you won! Well done!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  4. Roger Wilco

Ahahaha, muahaha. Aston Villa? Who the fuck is Aston Villa when confronted with the mighty SK Rapid? :lol:

Too bad my team failed to put the finishing moves to Villa, so the return leg still gets exciting, but who cares? Even if we lose 5:0 this will be remembered for ages. Premier League my ass. :lol:

<3 Rapid.

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Villa are a very ordinary team now they've lost Laursen and Barry. Young and Milner are decent players, but the rest are nowhere near top four material. They will do well to scrape a Europa League spot, not that it will matter because MON will treat it with contempt, as usual.

6. Roger Wilco

Yeah, I think that was our biggest plus; Rapid wanted to win, desperately, Aston Villa was more like "meh, whatever". I don't understand that attitude - why even struggle to qualify for the EL when you then don't give a shit, is the Champions League really that much more interesting? Anyway, their loss is our win. ;)

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

With RIO out of the upcoming ENG games I was trying to think who could take his place but I can only think of 3 people who are already going to be in the ENG squad...Upson, Terry and Lescott but Lescott could lose his place with recent events.

Seriously who is there for cover especially if Lescott form continues to go down the drain ?

* Brown - Injured/Not Match Fit
    * G.Neville - not a CB really
    * Richards - better at RB
    * Woodgate - Injured
    * King - Can't really train and only play 1 of 2 matches
    * A.Ferdinand - No experience for Senior ENG
    * Turner - I don't rate him as some others
    * Campbell - Can he really still play at this level ?
    * Davies - No experience and Villa started poorly

in 2006 we had the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, Upson, King, Woodgate, Carragher, Campbell (all fit and good age)

8. HappyDayRiot

Who springs to mind... Gary Cahill? Zat Knight? Michael Mancienne?... Titus Bramble?

Given the lofty position England are in Capello had just as well pick anyone and give them a chance. But he'll pick Lescott anyway.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  9. Tomalak

Cahill is the obvious candidate. Very underrated!

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Good win for Villa, but not a great start to the season so far for Liverpool.

11. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I watched the game (a rare event). Liverpool were thoroughly average to disappointing, solid performance from Villa. Result reflected the match.

12. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Ouch to Liverpool, not the start I expected from them.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure it did. Liverpool weren't brilliant, but an OG, a penalty, Liverpool hitting the post...

14. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Maybe I went a little far there, but I still think it was a deserved Villa win. The team played well and Liverpool either wasted or at least didn't make the most of their chances - and didn't make enough clear opportunities in the first place. The penalty and the header were Liverpool not defending well enough and Villa putting the ball between the sticks.

15. Roger Wilco

Damn, now I'm getting even more pessemistic for thursday again. I hoped Villa would get a solid pounding by Liverpool so they'd put all their attention to the league. :(

16. Tomalak

Villa weren't especially good, aside from Friedel. Their goal was battered for most of the match, but an og, a set-piece and a penalty gave them a good win. That's football. If Benayoun's effort found the net in the first minute, it's a different match.

17. HappyDayRiot

^ A set-piece 90 seconds into 60 seconds of added time!

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hey as the 4th official told Rafa. "It's a minimum of a minute of injury time, not an actual minute."

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Next time Reina won't waste time by shouting at the ref for what was a clear corner. Liverpool has always been easy to expose from set pieces during Rafa's reign.

20. HappyDayRiot

Sounds like some pretty nasty crowd trouble at Upton Park tonight. Millwall hooligans and idiots *sigh* I hope it doesn't get too horrific West Ham are having a terrible time of it this last week or so.