U.S.S. TITAN -- THE WINNER!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Marco Palmieri, Oct 6, 2005.

1. blsisko

blsisko Commander Red Shirt

So not only do you get to be high on life with the fact that your amazing design is Pocket Books' official USS Titan, but Paramount itself is continuing with the design and not going a different route. How awesome is that? I know that this Titan adventure isn't 100% canon, but doesn't the fact that they (Paramount) made a model of the ship make it more canon than all of those old FASA ships combined?

How cool are you, seriously? How many of us get to add something like that to their resumes? You rule. 'Nuff said.

2. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sean does rule. Bow down.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, because that's not what the word "canon" means. For one thing, it's a noun, not an adjective. The canon is the original body of work as distinct from derivative works. Star Trek: The Tour is a derivative work just as much as any novel or comic book or video game. Like all of those, it's a means that the studio uses to promote its franchise. CBS/Paramount sponsoring the construction of a physical model of Titan for the tour is no different from CBS/Paramount sponsoring a contest to design the ship for the books and posting the winning design on its website.

After all, it's not like the CBS executives themselves created the tour and built the ship models. They hired people to do it, just like they hire or license publishers and game developers to create tie-in works. The tour is just more physical and tangible, not more canonical.

The only thing that would make the Titan design canonical would be if it appeared in the onscreen canon. However, since there are no onscreen 24th-century productions likely to come along in the foreseeable future, it's really a non-issue. There's no likelihood that Sean's design will ever be replaced with a different one, so there's no need to worry about whether it's "canon" or not. It's the Titan design, for all intents and purposes.

4. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man, I thought it would look close to those pics and now I can't wait to go to the tour once it comes here. It's going to want me to go to it more now, just to see the Titan up and close and personal. Damn....

5. Species7582

Species7582 TrekBBS Lurker Premium Member

You'll be disappointed...it's not on static display :(

If my camera would cooperate, I'll try to post some pics from the Star Trek: The Tour later on.

6. Christopher

What does that mean?

7. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It means that it is hanging. They busted the nacelles while hanging it, and Gene had to bring replacement parts to fix it.

8. Christopher

So if it's hanging, how is that a disappointment? Does that mean one can't get up close and personal with it? Is it hanging high up or behind glass or something?

9. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Hoo-kay, I just got a really disturbing mental image there...

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't be shy, Bill. We all know you want to make sweet, sweet love to your starships.

11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

"It's a beautiful lady, and we love her!"

(I think I finally understand the "could of" typo. Both when I typed it into google to check the quote, and when I typed it here, instead of typing "love her" I typed "lover her." And I just did it again while writing this. I just really want to add that "r" to the end of the word, though I wasn't far gone enough to forget that "her" was a separate word)

12. Species7582

Species7582 TrekBBS Lurker Premium Member

The Titan model is in the finale of the exhibit - The Encounter Theater.

It is not visible because it is covered by a platform (about 8-10 feet in diameter). After a few seconds after the "Encounter" begins, panels of the platform/screen is pulled up with Titan hanging in the middle and spins arounds then it gets enclosed by the screen. Titan is visible at most 10 seconds.

Some footage from ST:Generations is used for the "Encounter".

Tried asking the operator if he can just pull the plaform up for some more Titan pics but no go.

ST The Tour Pics

Managed to get two Titan pic during the presentation:
    Titan 1
    Titan 2

NCC1701-A
    NCC1701-D
    NX-01

Ship Models 01
    Ship Models 02
    Shuttles
    Scorpion

Aliens

Wardrobe -Partial

History of the Future

Misc

The lithos are at Ten-Forward/Retail Shop which you can get to after the Encounter Theater or get a restroom pass.
    Lithos

Re: Retail Shop: The only novel being sold is Shatner's Star Trek: Collision Course.

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I just frightened myself. I already noticed several mistakes in the tour...

14. foravalon

foravalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You mean like the upside-down Edo God, the inappropriately labeled Terelian Starship Model, or the Yridian and Markalian busts labeled with the character names instead of the Species names?

I can be a little geeky too... :D

Thank you so much for the pictures Species7582! I'm sure, like me, many of us have been salivating to get our first glimpse of the tour! Can you give us any detail about the motion simulators or anything?

15. Christopher

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks cool. Are those models and props that were actually used is the shows/movies or replicas?

17. foravalon

foravalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh man, I really hope that's not the much vaunted "Motion Simulator" ride they're talking about, because that was LAME. It was a bunch of random stock footage, a mish-mash of sound effects from all the different trek eras, and that pretty silly and hastily written Wheaton/Russ sketch. I guess I'm being harsh, I suppose that script could have had a lot of effort put into it, it's possible.

We have seen higher production value in sketches for Comic Relief though. But since they had standing sets, currently contracted production people, and writers not currently on strike, I suppose it's an unfair comparison to draw.

Thanks for the link though, Christopher.

18. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dunno. I dig it. If I was a kid I'd be all over this.

19. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the photos. It looks like the folks behind the tour might have actually repaired the four-foot 1701-D miniature.

20. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, at least the unveiling of the model was cool. The rest...well, the reusing stock footage from Generations kind of kills it for me. Why go to all the trouble of showing off the Titan when it's clearly a Galaxy-class ship tangling with the random bird of prey ("Again with the Klingons?")?