Spoilers U.F.O. TV Series (1970) Discussion Thread.

Have or will you watch UFO??

• Yes I have watched it, It was good.

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Yes I have watched it, It was Meh

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I Have tried to watch it and gave up.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • No, but willing to try.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No, and not planing to.

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
I posted this over in the 'James Bond' thread, that Michael Billington, who played Paul Foster, was up more times for the role of James Bond than any other actor.

First, to replace Connery after 'You Only Live Twice' before Lazenby was chosen.

Second, to replace Lazenby, before Connery agreed to return to the role in 'Diamonds'.

Third, to replace Connery before Roger Moore was chosen for 'Live and Let Die'.

Finally to replace Moore if he didn't return after 'Moonraker', 'For Your Eyes Only', and 'Octopussy'.

There's a video on YouTube called 'Paul Foster joins SHADO' that is the edited version of the episode 'Exposed', that plays like a highlight reel of Paul Foster's appearance.

It shows that Billington could pull off a credible Bond, definitely leaning towards the Connery side and not the lighter/quips side of Moore.

Is there an echo in here? ;)

Gabrielle Drake's brother was none other than singer/songwriter Nick Drake, who's got quite a cult following. She was also in a TV production with JG Ballard connected with his novel Crash.

I saw a few episodes of UFO in the early 1970s but the local channel never seemed to air it very regularly, so I didn't see all of it, but I loved it, and bought the two novelizations. In the '90s I found a few VHS tapes and was pleasantly surprised how well some of the episodes stood up. And around 2010 I bought the box set and finally worked through the full series. It's dated, there's some silly things here and there, but the show's often a lot better than its subject matter might suggest. There are going to be people who never get past the purple wigs, the idea of an anti-UFO defence force based under a film studio, and occasional very dated attitudes. Their loss. There's some really solid storytelling there.

Gabrielle Drake's brother was none other than singer/songwriter Nick Drake, who's got quite a cult following. She was also in a TV production with JG Ballard connected with his novel Crash.

I saw a few episodes of UFO in the early 1970s but the local channel never seemed to air it very regularly, so I didn't see all of it, but I loved it, and bought the two novelizations. In the '90s I found a few VHS tapes and was pleasantly surprised how well some of the episodes stood up. And around 2010 I bought the box set and finally worked through the full series. It's dated, there's some silly things here and there, but the show's often a lot better than its subject matter might suggest. There are going to be people who never get past the purple wigs, the idea of an anti-UFO defence force based under a film studio, and occasional very dated attitudes. Their loss. There's some really solid storytelling there.

could imaging some of the comments about The Computer Affair back in 1970 because you had a white woman dating a black man.

Really enjoying this show. Reminds me of Star Trek TOS season one in some ways. Especially the anthology in an episodic continuity feel of several instalments. Also has some James Bond and Doctor Who influence. I have to wonder if the makers of "NuWHo" might have been fans. They do the "stock footage accented by dramatic music" often used in Torchwood and SJA.

It's made perfectly clear that Blake is framed by the Federation. If someone doesn't like the series and/or likes fascist governments, they should just state that.

Last edited:

In the first episode it is revealed that Roj Blake was a resistance leader who was captured and had his memory erased.
When he attended a second resistance meeting and was captured again, the Federation decided that, rather than killing Blake, which would create a martyr, they would implant false memories in children and accuse Blake of being a child molester and exile him instead.

In the first episode it is revealed that Roj Blake was a resistance leader who was captured and had his memory erased.
When he attended a second resistance meeting and was captured again, the Federation decided that, rather than killing Blake, which would create a martyr, they would implant false memories in children and accuse Blake of being a child molester and exile him instead.
Yeah, some people appear either to have a poor grasp of how to interpret fiction or to have been conditioned to accept verbatim the word of authoritarian governments - even imaginary ones. I hope it's just that they don't like the outdated effects and graphics, which even at the time looked super cheaply done compared to what Gerry Anderson's crew had pulled off.

What would be awesome if there was a way to rotoscope the performances into an improved FX background. But only if it could be done to look seamless- not some cheap ass look. Then again, part of the charm of the original Blake's 7 and the old Dr. Who episodes etc is the whacky, cheapo FX and sound work. The scripts and actors had to carry it, because the props sure didn't.

Back