Two new Star Trek films in the works

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by catshadowsi8, Apr 26, 2018.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. catshadowsi8

catshadowsi8 Captain Captain

And so Star Trek prequels reign, sequels not so much.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  3. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

This seems to be a trend across the board. Remakes and prequels. Not so much original stuff

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. catshadowsi8

I'm seriously suffering from TOS fatigue. I love the original series and some of the rebooted stuff but I'm so done. Move on for crying out loud! And that doesn't mean reboot Next Gen. either. I'm done with them too.

Of course that's just me. I'm clearly in the minority but that's ok. More space on this side of the fence. Lol

5. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I'm completely with you

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. catshadowsi8

We can keep each other company. :beer:

7. fireproof78

Here's the thing, for good or ill. Production companies are not willing to take bets on things that are not a sure thing. They are talking a million dollar investment that may or may not pay off. TOS, is a consistent in terms of money, and it is familiar enough to non Star Trek fans to be at least kind of interesting.

I personally am hoping that Discovery and these films will be successful enough for more risk.

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

But if there's nothing to move on to?

You can't probably expect me to watch that horrible Discovery with those disgusting Turtles? :eek:

As for reboots, I hate reboots!

I can't imagine any actors than those we had in TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

Just the thought of some lame-brained actress of today portraying Kes makes me wanna puke.

Not to mention that all new series are so dull and boring with lousy stories and less-talented actors.

As it is, when the NCIS series, Chicago PD and Scorpion are done, then I might as well throw my TV out of the window.

But I'll probably keep it for certain sports games and for my collection of DVD:s. :shrug:

9. catshadowsi8

You will not convince me there isn't new sequel material that can be written and fantastic actors and actresses to fill the roles. If that had been the prevailing attitude way back in the 60's we would have stopped at TOS and Voyager would have never graced our screens. So nope...not convinced. Lol

10. fireproof78

I don't think you're the one to convince lol

11. catshadowsi8

Agreed. :whistle:

12. Stroudarian

Stroudarian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree, it is just for fun. Given the way that the series ended, it really does not leave a lot of room for a continued story or warrant a movie, the same for DS9. Loved both of the series', it's just that the way they ended, it is not feasible to continue any further with their story lines. I like that we can ponder the possibilities though.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Coming late to the party, but they don't have to do that at all. There's no reason why you can't have a couple different STAR TREK timelines from now on. And there's nothing to be gained by folding the Kelvinverse back into the Prime timeline.

Why go to the trouble of creating a whole new timeline to play in just to shut it down a few years later? Seems like kinda a waste to me.

14. catshadowsi8

Well I just hope they are careful picking the director for the Kelvin timeline movie. Most movies that change directors part way through have come under criticism from fans and struggled with making a large enough profit to encourage more ventures. I'd hate to see Star Trek fold for that reason.

15. Greg Cox

Why assume that they'll change directors in mid-stream? Yeah, that happens occasionally, but it's never happened with a STAR TREK movie before.

And it's not always the kiss of death. Just look at THE WIZARD OF OZ or GONE WITH THE WIND. :)

16. catshadowsi8

Lol that's a bit of a ways back and not every movie suffers from such a change however it just seems to be happening more these days and the movies struggle because of it.

Look at the flack some of the more recent movies had taken because of it. The latest is Solo. Movie goers are more particular now I guess and directors and studios seem to be more likely to part ways.

Also before the internet most people didn't know, now it just easier to disseminate the information and people look for the differences.

17. Greg Cox

True. The audience arguably knows too much about what goes on backstage these days.

I sometimes pine for the good old days when we just enjoyed the shows from the bleachers and didn't fret about how the illusion was created . . ..

catshadowsi8 likes this.
  18. catshadowsi8

Absolutely. I've come to believe the backstage antics become more important to some fans than the actual show or movie. It colors their perception which is sad imo. I'm glad I knew nothing when I watched Voyager the first time because I loved the show and the characters it gave me to enjoy.

Greg Cox likes this.
  19. Borg

Borg Lieutenant Red Shirt

*Raises hand shyly* yeahhhh... that would be me.... lol

catshadowsi8 likes this.
  20. catshadowsi8

Like many others including myself on this forum. :beer: