Twilight - Movie Discussion and Grading

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 20, 2008.

?

Grade the movie

1. Excellent

10.5%
  2. Above average

15.8%
  3. Average

31.6%
  4. Below average

10.5%
  5. Poor

31.6%
  1. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Anyone remember when Vampires were scary? Say what you will about Anne Rice, but her vamps were at least evil. I blame Joss Whedon for this. He's the one who invented the cuddly, heroic Vampire in love with a social outcast human(who also happens to be special). I mean, the dude even has Angel's hair! This dynamic has been copied a million times over now, from Underworld to Tru Blood. But at least with those I get to see Rogue's titties and Kate Beckinsale's ass out of it. This movie is to Buffy what Nickelback is to Metallica. It's the watered down, mediocre version of the same damn thing.

And considering how the two lead actors were slagging off the books in interviews, it doesn't surprise me how bad this movie was. My favorite quote was that the books were "The romantic fantasy of a bored Mormon housewife, who is clearly substituting herself for Bella". Or something like that.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Is this an american thing? I've never heard of it or the books? I saw some posters for it at the Cinema today and it looks like something for the 9-14 crowd? is that the intended audience?

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's kind of popular in america. The books are aimed at teens. It's mainly romance with vampires thrown in.

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw that list a few days ago. I agree with it for the most part. There were way too many "EDWARD IS HOT!" paragraphs in the book and the movie managed to cut out much of that. Also the movie has a better climax compared to the book.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Well its what Stephanie Myers is calling vampires.
    No fangs
    See their reflection
    Can walk in daylight

I've been told that garlic, crosses and silver aren't a factor either.
    Meant to ask if a stake in the heart is involved in the Myer-verse regarding "vampires".

I prefer to think of the Cullens and any other "vamps" as really immortal hemophagiacs(blood lusters/drinkers). It's really more applicable.

I am tired of hearing people defend the "vampires" as saying there are no rules for vamps. Sorry but there are some rules. Love it all you like but there are certain rules for vampires. Some flexibility on some lore but the "vamps" here are not vamps...except in name.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a joke right? the "rules" and myths about vampires vary from country to country. There aren't any set rules.

8. Captain Craig

^^^^
    No. I'm serious. I understand that from culture to culture the lore has variances. I said as much. I said I understand the flexibility that various incarnations show. Did you take that into account?

By and large however, vampires, do have some fairly "set" rules when portrayed in tv, books and film ever since Bram Stokers. Those have been toyed with and tweaked but largely vamps have in all portrayals had commonality. Frankly the vamps of Twilight barely appear to be branches of the same family tree from other vamps of the last 150yrs in culture reference.

9. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, these are the Gary Stu Vamps, who are perfect and awesome and HOT and have no weaknesses.

So they're appropriate for this kind of self-insert romantic stuff for the kids.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

All the female vampires in this series are also supposed to be hot too. It makes me wonder why the vamps haven't taken over everything yet. :lol:

11. HighteeHeller

HighteeHeller Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because they are worried about the Italian Vamps..duh. :rolleyes:

:p

12. shrantastic

shrantastic Commander Red Shirt

I saw it for the lulz, and to observe the twihards.

- It contained some pretty horrible acting on par with a Lifetime movie.
    - If you haven't read the book it will be a mystifying experience.

But it did make me want to visit the Pacific Northwest!

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That's a funny avatar shrantastic.:rommie:

14. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was clever that Bella, who falls in love with a vampire, has a nickname reminiscent of Bela Lugosi, who played Dracula. :p

15. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

looked interesting way way back then. now that it's become a tween girl sensation, i'll be avoiding this. maybe download it if i'm desperate to watch something (which is highly unlikely). >_< seems like dawson's creek about vampires. lol

16. shrantastic

Thanks! I should clarify that amusing as I find the twihards, I would never make fun. I mean c'mon, I'm posting on a Trek board here.

I saw they already green lighted the next movie. Guess I'll have to read the second book!

17. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Why? Save your brain cells!

18. Captain Craig

From what I've read online and been told by the people I know who've read New Moon it seems the material in that book is more conducive to making a better film.

I'm sure not going to read it but Shrantastic knock yourself out if you want to do so.

I'm told trips to Alaska and Italy are in play. Bella and Jacob hook up after Edward bolts either due to fear or protection cause that Victoria bitch is pissed after they killed James.

Maybe this is one of those instances where the sequel is better than the initial entry.

19. shrantastic

I'm gonna! A friend already gave me all the books, so they are just sitting on the shelf, silently beckoning. Maybe it's the MST3K fan in me, but I love it when something is so bad it turns the corner back to good.

20. Elwin Ransom

Elwin Ransom Commander Red Shirt

I had never heard of the "Twilight" Saga before last week; I went to see the movie, not realizing that the primary audience was teenage girls. (I am a guy in my late 20's.)

I am actually glad I didn't know that, because if I had, I wouldn't have gone to see it, and found it quite enjoyable. The cinematography was exceptional, as was the music. The sparkly-Edward effect was quite bad. I didn't even realize what was supposed to have happened until I went and read the book.

Going in with no expectations, I found Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson both quite enjoyable. Billy Burke as her dad, though, stole the show.

Alice Cullen was hot, even if she was pitching baseballs or ripping vampire heads off.

As for the book series, which I've now read, I found "Twilight" entertaining, but, rather poorly written. The film was better structured, in terms of writing. "New Moon" was a little better. "Eclipse" and "Breaking Dawn" I rather liked.