Tropes that movies, etc. use that you hate.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by valkyrie013, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Moderator

After years of watching the show, the movie was a bit of a shock to me.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That phrase can be applied to a lot of different shows. :lol:

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

My wife and I had the same reaction and watching it was such a dramatic gut punch. While a decent film it certainly isn't what I prefer about MASH. Now, that will be owed to the fact that Donald Sutherland is not a favorite actor of mine, and the feeling of the film is not one I find that enjoyable. It makes its point well enough but not enjoyable for me.

The season has some missteps, but I think it really found itself and is still my top TV series ever.

4. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Having seen the film first I felt the show was a good take. Things did need to be watered down for broadcast and the laugh track was annoying, but it did straddle humor with thr horrors of war well. In my opinion it did get better once the streamlined the cast. When they did swap cast members, Potter and Winchester were upgrades- instead of simplistic they had complexity and depth

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

I've always been a Radar fan, and a Burghoff fan. But after hearing tales of his being difficult or even hotheaded, I think there may have been some real-life tension between him and Alda. After reading Alda's introduction to the 1980 MASH interview/episode book I eventually noticed that while Alda praised ''the talent and skill of Gary Burghoff,'' all his other front-credited co-stars received an adjective-noun combination. It's a subtle exception.....but I doubt it's accidental.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I think part of the reason why Trapper and Blake left they gained a lot with Potter and BJ, and then Winchester. However, I think they would have stuck around if the level of depth had been offered to the original characters.

Sadly, from one my limited research Burghoff has definitely been a bit of a diva, and had some difficulty with the other cast members. I think part of the difficulty for him was the fact that he was kind of stuck in that role. He didn't get some of the same flexibility with the character like Hawkeye, or even BJ did early on. I think Linville would have as well, as by reports Linville was quite a nice guy and got tired of being fairly one dimensional. Alda could be a diva too, but he got a lot of the prime spotlight for flexing his acting muscles. Others didn't get the same early on so it's easy to see how that frustration could start.

7. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Bones did a pretty good job with it imo.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  8. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given how many times murderers get released from prison IRL, only to kill again and cause more grief & suffering.

I don't think the government is all that great at making "Just Laws".

Too many times, criminals get released, only to cause more problems for society.

I don't think the government is nearly as good at Justice as you think they are.

Farscape One likes this.
  9. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do they think a realistic relationship doesn't suit the needs of their story, or viewers?

10. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

People don't tune in to see normal