Tropes that movies, etc. use that you hate.

After years of watching the show, the movie was a bit of a shock to me.
My wife and I had the same reaction and watching it was such a dramatic gut punch. While a decent film it certainly isn't what I prefer about MASH. Now, that will be owed to the fact that Donald Sutherland is not a favorite actor of mine, and the feeling of the film is not one I find that enjoyable. It makes its point well enough but not enjoyable for me.

The season has some missteps, but I think it really found itself and is still my top TV series ever.

Having seen the film first I felt the show was a good take. Things did need to be watered down for broadcast and the laugh track was annoying, but it did straddle humor with thr horrors of war well. In my opinion it did get better once the streamlined the cast. When they did swap cast members, Potter and Winchester were upgrades- instead of simplistic they had complexity and depth

I've always been a Radar fan, and a Burghoff fan. But after hearing tales of his being difficult or even hotheaded, I think there may have been some real-life tension between him and Alda. After reading Alda's introduction to the 1980 MASH interview/episode book I eventually noticed that while Alda praised ''the talent and skill of Gary Burghoff,'' all his other front-credited co-stars received an adjective-noun combination. It's a subtle exception.....but I doubt it's accidental.

Having seen the film first I felt the show was a good take. Things did need to be watered down for broadcast and the laugh track was annoying, but it did straddle humor with thr horrors of war well. In my opinion it did get better once the streamlined the cast. When they did swap cast members, Potter and Winchester were upgrades- instead of simplistic they had complexity and depth
Agreed. I think part of the reason why Trapper and Blake left they gained a lot with Potter and BJ, and then Winchester. However, I think they would have stuck around if the level of depth had been offered to the original characters.

I've always been a Radar fan, and a Burghoff fan. But after hearing tales of his being difficult or even hotheaded, I think there may have been some real-life tension between him and Alda. After reading Alda's introduction to the 1980 MASH interview/episode book I eventually noticed that while Alda praised ''the talent and skill of Gary Burghoff,'' all his other front-credited co-stars received an adjective-noun combination. It's a subtle exception.....but I doubt it's accidental.
Sadly, from one my limited research Burghoff has definitely been a bit of a diva, and had some difficulty with the other cast members. I think part of the difficulty for him was the fact that he was kind of stuck in that role. He didn't get some of the same flexibility with the character like Hawkeye, or even BJ did early on. I think Linville would have as well, as by reports Linville was quite a nice guy and got tired of being fairly one dimensional. Alda could be a diva too, but he got a lot of the prime spotlight for flexing his acting muscles. Others didn't get the same early on so it's easy to see how that frustration could start.

I think a lot of the problem with "will they/won't they" after they get together is that hardly anyone seems willing to write anything even vaguely resembling the ups and downs of a real relationship. I think the closest I ever saw was the original (UK) Coupling. Steve and Susan were pretty realistic and it still managed to be hysterically funny.

I hate that. I remember being sooooo pissed at the Xena writers for doing that to Joxer (argueably the 3rd main character) while at the exact same time the writers on Angel were adding depth and nuance to Wesley. :brickwall:
Yep. Bones did a pretty good job with it imo.

Last edited:
Then there are mechanisms in place to change that.

Unjust laws can be abolished. Unjust actions can be punished. Unjust governments can be deposed and replaced with just ones. But all of this must be observed with order and care. Otherwise, as I said, we are left with violence, anarchy, death, and the tyranny of the mob.
Given how many times murderers get released from prison IRL, only to kill again and cause more grief & suffering.

I don't think the government is all that great at making "Just Laws".

Too many times, criminals get released, only to cause more problems for society.

I don't think the government is nearly as good at Justice as you think they are.

Back