Tron 3 is coming (and Garrett Hedlund is confirmed to come back)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mach5, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Legacy was amazeballs.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I loved Tron: Legacy andI was disappointed that Tron: Uprising wasn't given the proper care it deserved (Disney kept changing its time slot, so it's no surprise it lost viewers). The animation of Tron: Uprising took some time to get use to, but the story and characters were fairly interesting, and I would like to see at least Beck to show up in the new sequel. I also agree with others that David Warner should return and have more real Tron. Hopefully Cillian Murphy will return as well.

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

That it is.

The sound track though, that is just beyond words of how epic I think it is.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Had forgotten all about a planned sequel, good to hear that it looks like it's going ahead. Now if only they could get a that sequel to another 80's movie off the ground "The Last Starfighter" last I heared it's a rights issue. i.e. the owner doesn't want another film/remake.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to this. Flawed as it was, I enjoyed Tron: Legacy a great deal.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Legacy was fantastic. I was surprised that I liked it so much as despite remembering it from the 80's I only saw Tron itself all the way through just before Legacy came out, and didn't like it very much.

Legacy sequel very much required...

7. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unless they can at least get Boxleitner to play Bradley/Tron this time, then pass.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Does Uprising end on a cliffhanger? When it was first announced I had assumed it was always planned as a limited series.

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

As a big TRON fan I'm still amazed they made a sequel. Anything else is gravy.

10. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Agreed. I was just listening to 'Disc Wars' the other day.

11. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

This is great! I've loved the look of the Tron world since I saw a late-nite showing of the original way back in late summer '82. Legacy is one of the best looking films of the last 20 years and I can't wait to see how much further they can push the production design.
    It's OK that Hedlund is back but the REAL announcement we're all waiting to hear is that Daft Punk is back. Can't have a Tron film without Daft Punk and Bruce Boxleitner.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So the original film doesn't count? ;)

Word is that this one will be scored by Georgio Morodor and Skrillex.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fixed that for ya. ;)

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Finally!!! Can't wait!

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope Olivia Wilde comes back. I didn't realize so many liked Legacy, I thought everybody hated it.

16. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I enjoyed Legacy myself, even though it's not perfect.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think Legacy is a film that works much better if you've never seen the original TRON, or if you don't watch them back-to-back. As a sequel or continuation, it totally fails. It completely reinterprets the nature of the Programs and the Grid; in the original, they were semi-magical entities that existed within computers without the knowledge of their programmers, but in the sequel they were consciously created AIs in virtual reality. It completely reinterprets Kevin Flynn; in the original, he was a capitalist out to defend his right to profit from his intellectual property and sought only to become rich, but in the sequel, he became this anti-business champion of free data. And it went in the completely opposite direction in its CGI; the original was an attempt to embrace the unreal aesthetic of early CGI and make live actors look like part of it, while the sequel was just another instance of the modern approach of making CG look as much like physical reality as possible. Also, it's much blander aesthetically, replacing the richly colorful abstractions of the original with a dingy, near-monochrome Grid. And Clu's plan to materialize a physical army for conquest made far less sense than the MCP's plan to take over the world through cyberspace, especially in this day and age when the Internet is far more ubiquitous and essential to everyday life.

So as a sequel, as a continuation of the original's ideas and aesthetics, it was a complete misfire. But it's hard for me to judge how well it works as a self-contained movie, because I made the mistake of waiting to see it until I could get a copy of the original and see them nearly back-to-back. I suppose that as a modern, FX-driven adventure/fantasy movie, it's kind of middle-of-the-road, neither really good nor really bad.

18. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

People change. Are you really the same person, the same outlook on life that you had twenty-something, nearly thirty years ago.

As for it being VR, where are you getting that impression from?

19. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Legacy is one of my favourite films of this century so far. It's very downbeat and the plot is non-existent, but I feel it is one of the most perfectly realised marriages of sound and visuals ever conceived for film. Completely immersive, and totally engaging.

At least for me.

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Flynn did that purposefully to radically change computing by designing from the inside out. The ISOs, springing forth from nothing, were his true discovery from that experiment. Reinterpreting it was the point.