Trek Series set in the distant past

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Voth commando1, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"James Kirkland". :lol:

Tracy Trek likes this.
  2. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Yeah, but surprisingly he's a real paleontologist. :p

A pretty major one too, apparently, judging by that list of discoveries!

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I wonder whose idea it was for him to collaborate on that novel. Did he think "Hey, with a name like that, I have to do Trek"? :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Idran likes this.
  4. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

Not opposed to the general idea, but I think it would work better as a novel series rather than something televised. I figure this concept would have a more niche fanbase than your average Starfleet adventure.

geotrek likes this.
  5. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm anxious to see the DIS spinoff series "Kahless." It takes place during the birth of the Klingon Empire 10,000 years ago, all the dialog will be in klingon with english subtitles, and every episode will be about Kahless's newest conquests as he forges what will become the Klingon Empire.

The Wormhole likes this.
  6. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh yeah, I forgot that he was involved with the book. And IIRC it was written before the episode Distant Origin.

@Voth commando1 , You might like the book First Frontier since it features intelligent dinosaurs.

7. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. Just make it an engaging story and people will watch it.

UnknownSample and Balok's Decoy like this.
  8. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

That's what I was JUST about to post. I fancy myself a pretty big Trek fan and I have no idea what species your talking about......We don't even know if the next Trek show WITH humans will be a success. ;-)

9. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Very true and I think it might be more successful without the Trek name attached to it................

10. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

A thought... do a first season of this thing set hundreds or 1000s of years ago, then bang, end of season 1, suddenly reveal this show is connected to Star Trek. Add Star Trek to the title and start tying these past events in to Trek history.

uniderth likes this.
  11. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Derivative of TOS actually-- In Tomorrow is Yesterday, you really stop and think about what being marooned in the past would mean, having to stay out of contact with humanity for the rest of their lives... A lot of it would be like that, how do we exist while staying out of history's way, and not affecting things, yet making some sort of contacts and pursuing a life anyway... the initial purposelessness, then finding some purpose in it all.
    ------------------
    That's where the slingshot started, too. Time travel happens so many different ways that I'm sure some impediment to their returning could be thought up.

12. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I had a fanfic idea with the Enterprise in that situation after First Contact or Voyager in that situation in Future's end.

UnknownSample likes this.
  13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Pocket Books can't churn out novel series a la carte. They gotta make a profit. Otherwise we'd be having ongoing ST: Aventine, Corps of Engineers, Excelsior, Ex Machina, Klingon Empire, The Lost Era.

A series in ancient times (pre-Anthropocene) wouldn't feel Trek-like. It may as well be original fiction. Plus, we get frequent glimpses - just check out the already mentioned The Buried Age, First Frontier and DTI.

Brefugee likes this.
  14. Tracy Trek

I had some books that were the novelizations (or adaptations of the scripts) for the TOS episodes. I think I recall from the one for Tomorrow is Yesterday that they couldn't go anywhere else in the galaxy at the time because of some other race that was causing trouble during Earth's 20th century. But it was no longer a problem by the 23rd century. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I think James Blish adapted them for story form for the books.

@Voth commando1 ,Have you written any fanfic yet and archived it on a site like Fanfiction.net?

If you've never read it, the TOS novel Ishmael has one member of the Enterprise crew trapped in the past (1867) and thinking he will never get home...

15. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Where said member met his ancestor?

Spock meets the Graysons?

16. Tracy Trek

Well there are 2 novels where he meets ancestors during time travel adventures.
    In Strangers From the Sky he meets Jeremy Grayson, who lived during the 20th and 21st centuries.

In Ishmael in the year 1867 he meets Aaron Stemple and the woman who Aaron marries, both are ancestors of Amanda (Aaron ironically looks like his Vulcan father Sarek). :)

Ishmael was a crossover with another TV show, Here Comes the Brides which aired around the same time as Star Trek. It was a western/comedy/drama. Mark Lenard who played Sarek also played Aaron Stemple. The author also alluded to other western characters at the time like the Mavericks and Cartwrights. It's something...different. But that's one reason I like it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  17. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Just bought Strangers from the Sky on kindle I recall reading it in the 80's - great story.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  18. Voth commando1

I don't have the inclination or confidence to write fanfics unfortunately and I'll look into it.

19. Tracy Trek

I've got ideas that I would like to write but I don't think I could ever write dialogue that would sound natural.

20. Voth commando1

Then we have a similar problem.