Trek Portrayals Of Futuristic War Is Unrealistic

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by polyharmonic, Aug 17, 2017.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It seemed like Data should have been the one flying the ship.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Realistic war would be boring as hell for the viewers. That's all she wrote.

3. velour

velour Commander Red Shirt

Maybe the experience of the M5 fiasco ("The Ultimate Computer") soured Starfleet's attitude about AI.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  4. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sisko in Sacrifice of Angels finds he has no choice but to try to punch through the Dominion lines. It's space, it's three-dimension and your ship has a cloaking device. Have you tried just going around the enemy fleet? If the goal was to get just one ship to DS9 to stop them from detonating the minefield, at least the Defiant could have done that. Or, for that matter, the freaking Klingons.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I am SHOCKED, SHOCKED there is unrealism in Star Trek!

6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course space warfare wouldn't be done the way in which it's depicted in Trek (and other sci-fi).

The whole idea of manned exploration of deep space is daft and outmoded in the first place. http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2009/11/the_myth_of_the_starship.html

But pure technical realism isn't the point of Star Trek. The point is to have an entertaining experience that hopefully makes you think a little about humanity along the way. The point is also to make a bunch of money for the producers and the network, and turning Trek into a documentary on futurism just wouldn't have the same broad appeal as the light space opera approach.

Kor

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

If each drone could only assimilate 1 person per day, and each new drone could likewise assimilate 1 person per day, you're at 20 billion assimilations in 3 weeks. The math is easy. :)

CorporalCaptain and Tim Thomason like this.
  8. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

It's a notable point that applies to many shows, i.e., using drones and androids, if not just robots, for dangerous tasks.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

In real life, an adversary like the Borg could overwhelm the Earth with exponential-growth assimilation in a short time. An initial beachhead of ten thousand drones would be overkill. But, post "Q Who," when Q wasn't around to save them, the overriding factor being not to create a no-win scenario for the heroes, the writers had to gimp the Borg in some way.

ninja'd by @Maurice. (Such is the fate of a browser tab left open overnight.)

10. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

I fully agree, that's why I hate wars in StarTrek.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't say I blame them.