Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"Love and the Sweet Sixteen" (Love, American Style, Nov. 5, 1971) featured former Laugh-In regular Henry Gibson as a bigamist with the titular number of wives. The three featured onscreen were Susan Howard, Lee Meriwether, and Barbara Luna. And just for good measure, the judge was Jon Lormer.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just played back the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode "Mother, May I Go Out to Swim?" on my DVR. 1960. Starring William Shatner, directed by Herschel Daugherty ("Operation— Annihilate!"). It was on MeTV.

The story is dialogue-heavy, kind of a high-class soap opera, and the acting style is very detailed, with a lot of care put into it. It's good acting, but a little stagey versus today's one-hour dramas. One thing that struck me was Shatner's gentle speech mannerisms as the young man romancing a girl. It was very much what we would see in "The Conscience of the King" six years later. It's interesting that Bill wasn't breaking new ground when he cozied up to Lenore Karidian. He had an approach down already, and why not use it?

3. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Why was she suffering as Dyna Girl? Please elaborate.

4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He probably just meant to suggest that Electra Woman and Dyna Girl was a terrible show. I never caught it myself, but I never missed Shazam and Isis. Come to think of it, years later I never missed The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic woman. And Hercules and Xena. Some things just click.

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yes, like Zap said. I've only seen a little bit of Electra-Woman and Dyna Girl, and I realize it was a kids' show, but holy moly, it was painful to watch. I wasn't suggesting she was under any kind of duress or abuse on the show, just that it was really awful. :)

6. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was supposed to be a distaff Batman, but the writing was some of the worst that Sid and Marty Krofft ever approved. Disappointing when compared to other S&MK shows.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

And yet, the show has a shitload of fans, many of whom love it to this day, as do you two and others that love Batman '66 (which is just as bad, plot-wise and character-wise) as Electra Woman & Dyna Girl, and have people loving it as much as you two love Batman '66, even to the point of having it paid tribute on the TV Land Awards:

Yes, both shows are crap, but the big difference is, the two of you love the latter and hate the former, even though the latter show had a guest starring role for one of the actresses of the former (Judy Strangis-Dyna Girl-guest starred on an episode of Batman '66 as a henchperson of the Joker.)

8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never said I hated Electra-Woman and Dyna-Girl, you inferred. I actually loved it. It was an ideal cheesy take on Batman for mid-70s Saturday mornings. But the reality is that it was poorly written, and no one seemed to catch it before it went before the cameras.

As for Batman, it was as well written as William Dozier, the producer, allowed it to be. He hated comic books, and comic book heroes, and wanted Batman to exemplify his contempt for the genre. This is why it's so over the top with the tilted cameras for the villain lairs, the tweaks to Batman and Robin's costumes to make them look stupid, and labeling everything in the Batcave.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Contempt or no, Batman '66 was actually remarkably faithful to the style of the Batman comics of the '40s and '50s, albeit much less bizarre and silly than the '50s comics often were. The myth is that it was a mockery of something more serious, but in fact it spoofed the comics by translating their stylizations rather literally to the screen. The main difference was that the comics' Dynamic Duo engaged in constant witty banter, while the show played them much more straitlaced.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

You know what, I see your point. I soaked up Batman as a 9-year-old, and still have affection for it as an adult, even though I can't handle watching it any more. I guess I can understand someone who enjoyed Electra-Woman having the same kind of affection for a childhood fave.

11. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Captain Captain

MeTV+ is airing the pilot episode of 'The Wild Wild West' and James Gregory is President Grant.

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That's the pilot episode, then. In all other appearances of the character, Grant was portrayed by Roy Engel (who was never a Star Trek guest star, but whose final film credit was in a movie which starred William Shatner.)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Good ol' Whit Bissel turned up in the 1958 Have Gun Will Travel episode "The Silver Queen."

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

..and today John Lormer appeared as a judge in the episode "Three Sons."

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The Have Gun - Will Travel episode "Silver Convoy" was blessed with the presence of Barbara Luna.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. DarrenTR1970

Turned on the last few minutes of 'Wanted: Dead or Alive' and there's DeForest Kelly facing off against Steve McQueen and Lon Chaney Jr.

17. DarrenTR1970

MoviesTV network is airing the 1968 Frank Sinatra movie 'The Detective', which I've known about, but never seen, because it's a kinda sorta prequel to the movie 'Die Hard'.
    Anyway there's Jack Klugman, without toupee, as Frank's partner, Robert Duvall, and who should pop up as a murder victim, William Windom.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I probably have a screen grab of that back a few pages - I just finished a run thru of Wanted...

DarrenTR1970 likes this.
  19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

A very small, single scene, speaking role for young Madlyn Rhue in the 1958 Have Gun - Will Travel episode "Deliver the Body."

[​IMG]

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Mission: Impossible, "Blues" (Nov. 20, 1971), has William Windom's voice coming out of John Crawford's mouth, as Crawford's actor character helps the IMF doctor a tape meant to pose as incriminating evidence against Windom's character. Also, Greg Morris sings "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay".