Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Cassidy was a much better actor.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Tiberius James Hooker. ;)

Shaka Zulu, dupersuper and Alice_27 like this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yep, I know who they both are. :)
    (I said to my wife, Ted Cassidy must have been busy the week they shot this.)

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The Barbary Coast episode "An Iron Clad Plan" features Louise Sorel as an uptight health dept employee (who Doug McClure naturally loosens up at the end), and Bob the Discount Klingon as an... entrepreneur trying to sell secret US military plans to various foreign governments. Shatner disguises himself as a Prussian agent to get at the plans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

CB8F5593-CA53-49A4-81EE-EBF41B1D857B.jpeg A familiar face who does the hypnotizing in The Defenders S1 episode “The Treadmill”. No Nancy or salt here.

A familiar face from Starbase 11 in the next episode “Perjury”.
    CB0B533C-E6D2-4100-A960-3D7BE844D531.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Some TOS Trek faces in the fairly awful 1982 sword and sorcery film, The Sword and the Sorcerer. Lee Horsely and Kathleen Beller star, with villain Richard Lynch (TNG connection there) and evil demon Richard Moll.

Jeff Corey showed up as a cranky tavern owner:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Joseph Ruskin popped up briefly as one of Lynch's henchmen:
    [​IMG]

Somewhere in the film was George Murdock, who played "God" at the end of Star Trek V, but I couldn't actually find him to get a screen grab.

7. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Jeff Corey better in Conan the Destroyer.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Something of vague interest regarding a mildly infamous bit of business in TAS, which I'm posting here on the thin basis that Anthony Caruso is in the episode--The plot of Mission: Impossible, "Shape-Up" (Oct. 16, 1971), involves a ship named the Orion. Every actor who speaks the ship's name pronounces it "OR-ee-on".

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The Barbary Coast episode "Mary Had More Than a Little," featured the Reverend Whit Bissel, and leading citizen Phillip Pine, together again for the first time.
    [​IMG]

and the usual parade of crazy disguises that let Shatner have a blast with his role in this show:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's the delightful Judy Strangis, just late of Room 222, and not yet suffering as Dyna Girl, as the titular Mary. yes, I said titular.

10. Alice_27

Alice_27 Lieutenant Red Shirt

11. Nerys Myk

Shatner always manages to look like Shatner in his disguises.

PCz911 and Forbin like this.
  12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Oh yes. But you can tell he's having a lot of fun with it. It let him ham it up beyond even his normal hamming it up. And he had surprising good comic timing!

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The final episode of WKRP in Cincinnatti gave us one last bit with Ian Wolf as Mama Carlson's butler, who's had enough of her shit. :rommie:

[​IMG]

14. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Hogan's Heroes episode..."Hogan's Double Life" 1971

Malachi Throne (Commodore Mendez) as Major Pruhst
    [​IMG]
    John Hoyt (Dr. Phillip Boyce) as Field Marshal von Leiter

[​IMG]

(P.S. I hate to be the last post on a page!!!)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  15. The Old Mixer

I'm unfamiliar with the show, but that sounds a lot like Ross Martin on WWW.

Shaka Zulu and Forbin like this.
  16. Nerys Myk

Yep.
    On Mission Impossible, Rollin Hand (Martin Landau) seemed be called on to impersonate people who looked like Rollin Hand a lot. ;)

17. The Old Mixer

Oh yeah...in one episode, a small town had two or three people also played by Martin Landau for Rollin to choose from.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Barbary Coast basically was a thinly-disguised retread of TWWW, with Shatner doing the Artemus Gordon often-in-disguise role and Doug McClure as the James West-type leading man (only I think he was a reformed gambler and sometime con artist instead of an ex-Army officer? Something like that.)

19. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Any info on pricing and availability?

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, logically that's how it should work. Instead of having one impersonator who was magically expected to match everyone, the realistic thing to do would be to find someone who already resembles the subject. That was the intent in the original M:I pilot, when Landau was just a special guest star -- that Rollin was brought in specifically because of his resemblance to the dictator they needed to double. By contrast, when he had to wear a full-face mask to briefly impersonate Dan Briggs, it was visibly far less convincing, unlike the fancifully perfect masks they used later in the series.

But once they made Landau a regular, it led to the contrivance of the team repeatedly needing to impersonate people who looked like Landau, either because Landau played them or because they cast an actor who resembled him (Paul Stevens was the main one, playing three different characters that Rollin impersonated in various episodes).

I understand the value of sticking with a regular team, but sometimes I wish M:I had stuck with the original intention that the team composition would vary from week to week, tailored for each mission. Instead of one universal master of disguise, they should've saved the "disguise artist" role for a succession of featured guest stars. If nothing else, they could've avoided the unfortunate times that they put Landau or Nimoy in yellowface makeup to impersonate Asians, instead bringing in someone like James Hong or George Takei (who was an M:I guest team member once, but as a medical expert) to play the role.

Shaka Zulu likes this.