Trailer for Martin Scorsese's "Hugo"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CaptainCanada, Jul 15, 2011.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

And now for something completely different from Martin Scorsese, a 3D children's film adaptation of the novel The Invention of Hugo Cabret (shortened to the far less-interesting Hugo for whatever reason). And no DiCaprio in sight, for the first time since 1999's Bringing Out the Dead.

With Harry Potter gone, somebody has to take up the task of sending British-accented children on dangerous adventures.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

They were going to call it Hugo Cabret and then went down to just Hugo. I wish they'd stuck with the full title of the book. There are some gorgeous shots in the trailer, although the music feels too modern and a bit too trailer cliche. I would have liked to see more of the mechanical man and less of the policeman chasing them about.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't know anything about the children's book this is based on, but I can't say no to a Scorsese film, even in 3D.

4. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't wait until Hugo wins the Nebula.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

5. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I must say I'm not convinced yet. Scorsese is one of my all-time favourite directors, but this trailer didn't do much for me. The music's too modern and cutesy, the slapstick elements seem a bit infantile, and there are a few really cheesy "3D moments".

My hopes remain high, though. Scorsese's name is enough for me to be looking forward to the movie.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Yes, the slapstick was a bit too juvenile for my tastes, but I like the look of the film. I'll wait to see what the reviews have to say.

7. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

I saw this trailer at HP last night....

OMG, I nearly cried. I've read the book. I OWN the book. It is AMAZING. If ever there was a book made for a cinematic treatment, it is this one. The storyboard-style illustrations and the extensive connections made to Georges Melies... yeah, DEFINITELY a perfect book to adapt to the screen.

And OMG, the brief looks at the Melies stuff... OMGSOBEAUTIFUL!

8. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Having no knowledge of the source material, there is nothing in this trailer to make me want to see it. If it wasn't for Scorcese's name on it, I would pass it off as yet another run of the mill kids movie but if Marty deems it worthy of his attention, then it will get mine. Then again, I thought the same thing about Hook and Spielberg and I ended up hating that. Still, here's hoping for a pleasant surprise.

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Has anyone else seen the film yet? I'm no fan of 3D -- but Scorsese's use of the technology was brilliant. And the film had an incredible heart and humanity to it. Fantastic film.