TOS with commercials

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Neopeius, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

I thought the "Cheer" alien looked and sounded more Romulan than Vulcan...:vulcan:

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He does remind me a bit of "Sub-Commader Tal" from "The Enterprise Incident". I know; I know; different actors, but everybody's facial recognition capabilities vary somewhat, and that's just what I see.

Henoch and Methuselah Flint like this.
  3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Yes I agree I thought he was Romulan - perhaps its his outfit or his curt manner.

Henoch likes this.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

And it was On this date in 1967 That Carol Burnett met Mr. Spock.

publiusr and Methuselah Flint like this.
  5. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

Finding an original TOS film print with original commercials would be extremely rare. The commercials were either broadcast separately in a studio's film chain (also called a film island or a telecine island) -- such as recalled by this gentleman -- or spliced in the print and then removed after broadcast such as described in this link (about 1/3 down the page). Either way, the commercials were generally not in the print after broadcast.

Neopeius, Maurice and Harvey like this.
  6. ssosmcin

ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a few Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea episodes with original commercials from 16mm which are always fun.

I edited the YouTube commercials into a VHS print of Space Seed and saved it on a DVD-R and digital file for a nice recreation of the repeat broadcast.

Methuselah Flint and Neopeius like this.
  7. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Makes me wonder why there are so many prints of shows that do have commercials in them. I've found them in Ozzy and Harriet, game shows, music variety shows, and Petticoat Junction.

I will probably be really ridiculous and stitch in period commercials for when I do the group watchings starting in September '66.. er... 21.

8. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

Define "so many". One per each of those shows?

9. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

And are these original film prints? Or something that might be found on YouTube?

10. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

These are all shows I've found on YouTube (except for Petticoat Junction, which includes commercials with select episodes on the DVDs). I'd say a good quarter or third of them have original commercials in them (2-3 per half hour). It may be because they tended to be dedicated sponsor shows so the ads were bundled with them. "The Adventures of Ozzy and Harriet are brought to you buy...your local gas company!"

11. ssosmcin

ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a nice handful of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea episodes with original commercials. The Steve Canyon DVDs have them also.

publiusr and Neopeius like this.
  12. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Jealous!

13. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

Good days

Neopeius likes this.