Spoilers TOS: Legacies: Book 1: Captain to Captain by Greg Cox Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Avro Arrow, Jun 24, 2016.

?

Rate Legacies: Book 1: Captain to Captain

1. Outstanding

27 vote(s)
    46.6%
  2. Above Average

19 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. Average

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Not so, TOS books do get eBook editions in both ePub and Kindle formats.

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Keep reading the thread... ;)

3. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

a question, Mr. Cox. Now that i've finished the novel, i can't figure out when the scene on the cover takes place. Ugh, maybe my imagination just isn't what it once was. It doesn't match the surface of Usildar in my brain.

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ I'm obviously not Greg Cox, but I would guess the cover is just symbolic.

They never had a standard shuttle down on Usildar, anyway, IIRC. Number One's ship was quite different, and Kirk and Spock beamed down.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. It's not a literal scene from the novel, but it does have Kirk, Spock, and Number One on the surface of an alien planet in front of alien fortress, which gets the general idea across.

True story: an early version of the cover featured McCoy instead of Spock, but we corrected it in order to be more accurate to the book--and since, without giving too much away, Spock plays a much bigger role in the book than McCoy does.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  6. indianatrekker26

Ah ok. And yes, good call switching Mccoy for spock on the cover. Off topic, I pictured Scarlett Johansson as yoEman bates.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Alien fortress? I thought it was just a cliff.

8. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I often picture ScarJo in lots of different scenarios.

9. Greg Cox

Clearly, I need to look at the cover again! :)

10. indianatrekker26

Yep its a cliff, greg. At first I thought it was them in the alt. Universe planet at the end of the book.

11. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

If you're having trouble reconciling Book 1's cover with its contents, wait until you get to Book 2…

12. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

I've loved and grew up with Diane Carey's Robert April novels, mainly Final Frontier in particular. I like the crew she establishes there, Florida, Claw Saneway, and Sarah; and of course Robert April. Because home video was in it's early days, and a lot of the old Star Trek wasn't readily available, Pike's captaincy and crew wasn't on my radar, so Robert April's Enterprise crew took Pike's place at that right moment, when we become fascinated about what came before Kirk and company. Pike is definitely great, too, it's just a timing thing, when I came to the Final Frontier novel.

I was excited by this book because of the prospect of seeing glimpses of that first crew of Enterprise and Robert April. Putting Number One in with that company feels strange, though, kind of how Scotty being a member of Pike's crew seems strange to others (the DC annual Pike story made me feel at home with the idea of more crew overlap between captains, but new ideas sometimes take a little adjustment). I can't see Scotty joining Pike's Enterprise around the same time that Spock did, but maybe very close to the end of Pike's tenure, sure.

I'm okay with Spock and Kirk meeting at the academy in the new movies, but it doesn't feel right for the original continuity. I can see them meeting in passing, or maybe participating in a meeting where they interact in a formal way and get an impression of each other, but beyond that, I think I prefer to imagine that they meet either when Kirk takes over the Enterprise, or on a deep space mission where both their ships work together, and they become acquainted in that way. I like the story for how Kirk and McCoy meet in Crisis on Centaurus, for example.

13. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although in this particular case, Greg was likely maintaining continuity with John Byrne's various IDW comic series over the years (Star Trek: Crew, Romulans: Schism, etc.) which showed Number One joining April's crew not long out out of the Academy, later getting promoted to Commodore and commanding the USS Yorktown, et al.

14. ThelinNV

ThelinNV Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm loving all the fun references to past adventures by April's Enterprise, like the stilt-walking species and Lieutenant Emmett's seeming transformation. The Trekverse can feel so small sometimes when we limit the scope to just the few crews we've seen on-screen. I love when a new crew is introduced and they feel like a unit that has experienced some things, and have had adventures on par with any other crew. I would love a whole series of novels to be set during April's captaincy...

And I want to know what Emmett turned into lol.

Idran, T'Ressa Dax and Leto_II like this.
  15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished this book . I voted outstanding. I really the scenes of the book on the Enterprise with Robert April's crew. The story was fast paced exciting and full of suprises I didn't expect especially at the of the book. I can't wait to see What happens in the next written by David Mack.:bolian::D

16. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Everybody dies

GaryH, Idran and Leto_II like this.
  17. Greg Cox

Which poses a real challenge for Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore when it comes to Book 3. :)

18. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Mr. Mack' s books often have a high body count in deaths.
    Maybe Spock snd Kirk met briefly in prime Academy but neither thought it significant at the time?

19. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Or Book 3 is a prequel

20. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, no one picked up on my pun in post 28?